Talk

Advanced search

Pregnant? See how your baby develops, your body changes, and what you can expect during each week of your pregnancy with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

Anyone out there having twins?!

(14 Posts)
Firework83 Sun 01-Oct-17 19:22:29

To my shock, at our private scan today (at 9+2), I was told there are TWO heartbeats, TWO sacs omg! Went from relief to sheer panic! Anyone want to jump on this crazy ride with me on anyone with words of wisdom? Scared!!!!!

Member171204 Sun 01-Oct-17 21:37:04

Hi there, I'm having twins too. Go be out last Monday. Still erring my Head around it. Think it's going to be full on.

I'm only 8 weeks tomorrow but my bump is huge. I look about 5 months pregnant shock

Firework83 Mon 02-Oct-17 08:50:48

@Member171204 hello! I thought I was alone there for a minute, phew!

Is this your first pregnancy? It is mine. NHS predict that I'm due 5th May at the mo but at the private scan yesterday measured me a week behind so at 8 weeks.

Hoping to book an appointment with my gp now to see how this changes this. I'm also trying to get my head round it... it kinda changes everything doesn't it?! Gulp.

ClareB83 Wed 29-Nov-17 09:19:19

Hi I'm 13+5 with DiDi twins. I also found out at 9 weeks. Was a massive relief to find out they're ok as I had been bleeding but such a shock.

I think it's sunk in now though and really pleased how many more scans you get with twins as I love seeing them!

How are you getting on?

Firework83 Wed 29-Nov-17 09:51:35

Hi @ClareB83 - good to have someone else on the same journey! I'm 18 weeks tomorrow with non-identical twins.

Finally feel normal. Was ill until about week 16 then got my second cold whilst pregnant which is on it's way out now so perhaps I can finally enjoy it. Feel a bit on edge as aware of risks with two but I can feel them kicking now which is massively reassuring.

How are you feeling? Yes I like the extra scans too!

ClareB83 Wed 29-Nov-17 10:17:17

I felt pretty wretched weeks 9-12 with morning sickness and some scary bleeds (I have a subchorionic bleed, basically a bruise in my uterus probably from implantation). Oh and a super kidney infection!!

I've been feeling a lot better recently though. Really enjoyed the dating scan. They were bang on 12+5 which matched my calculations. The bleed had shrunk too and I've only had a couple of minor incidents since.

I'm trying not to think too much about the increased risks of twins as the bleeding has been stressful enough. Plus DiDi twins are the lowest risk kind of twin apparently.

Hormones are pretty up and down though. My poor OH has had to cope with happy tears, sad tears, don't know why tears. Poor bloke.

ClareB83 Wed 29-Nov-17 10:18:44

Oh and I think I felt them move for the first time on Monday. I know it's early but was a strange fluttery/bubbly feeling like nothing I've felt before.

18 weeks is great, so close to your next scan. Will you find out their genders?

Firework83 Wed 29-Nov-17 12:25:08

Oh I feel your pain @ClareB83 but being pregnant with one child is a lot, let alone two. Will these be your first children? It is for us so it is overwhelming but there are also a lot of positives!

And yes we both have DiDi and all the professionals seem very relaxed about it. Mine are measuring well (one was a bit small at the beginning but has caught up drastically over the last 4-6 weeks).

I started feeling mine a couple of weeks ago but you never know with two - I've read about women feeling them earlier than i did! You describe it right from my experience.

Yes we will find out their genders. We had a 16wk scan where they asked if we wanted to know and we said yes. They seemed confident one was a boy but then changed their minds a few times on the second so I guess they'll confirm at 20wk scan. I'm convinced I have my very own Jedward inside me haha. Will you find out?

doodlejump1980 Wed 29-Nov-17 12:34:44

Congrats ladies - twins are ace! Mine (non-id boys) are nearly three now, and whilst it's bloody hard work, they are the best thing ever! Get booked into physio now and ask for bump support belts because carrying two wrecks your lower back and hips.
Enjoy the extra scans - you'll get to know your sonographers really well!
Good luck!
(I had mine at 37+6 at 7.5 & 6.4! I had a 55" waist on the day I had them! 🙈

ClareB83 Wed 29-Nov-17 13:15:45

Yes we definitely want to find out their genders. I can't face coming up with three sets of names.

We'll try and find out at 16 weeks too.

These will be our first, and probably only, children. So a definite upside is just doing this pregnancy malarkey once! Although I think you should get double maternity leave for twins.

And thanks @doodlejump1980 I'll look into belts as I can quite imagine how hard it'll be.

Firework83 Wed 29-Nov-17 14:35:33

Haha i like that double maternity leave suggestion @ClareB83! We're in the same boat - they are our first and only kids too and very happy that I only have to do this once!

Oh @doodlejump1980 thanks for the tips. Did you have physio before or after birth? My back is already playing up and I'm only 18wks!

doodlejump1980 Wed 29-Nov-17 15:24:28

@Firework83 yeah, although my hips are still not quite right if I sit for too long/ drive long distances it's a bit like the ministry of silly walks when I get up! I think it was the gradual weight gain and then suddenly 3 stone lighter in 2 weeks! My ligaments were jiggered!
I had an EMCS too, so was quite sore getting moving straight after having them! Apparently you can self-refer for physio, might be worthwhile doing that now in case they have a big waiting list?

ClareB83 Thu 30-Nov-17 11:48:32

I checked and I can't self refer in my area but I'll mention to my midwife at the next appt and if I have to pay my work has a very affordable physio on house (£20 for an hour assessment).

Iwantaunicorn Sun 17-Dec-17 17:08:25

Congrats ladies! I'm 29 weeks with non identical twins! Had a private gender scan at 16 weeks, and we're having one of each! Pretty chuffed, because I don't think I could do this pregnancy malarkey again 😂

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: