Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Comments about pregnancy

(8 Posts)
gracey1 Tue 23-May-17 08:05:19

I'm currently 19 weeks pregnant I'm 35 and husband 46. There have been a few comments made by people suggesting pregnancy was an accident due to husbands age and making comments to him in the workplace in particular. it's really starting to get us (probably me more so) down, particularly as I wanted to have another (if I'm lucky enough). Appreciate I might be being overly sensitive but wondered how other people would react/ take it or if they agree our ages are too old. The comments are "must have been a shock" "you'll be going for
The snip now" "aren't you a bit old for this you must've gutted". Just to
Clarify baby was very much planned but even if it wasn't and it was a nice surprise surely love and a stable home is what matters?

Biscusting Tue 23-May-17 08:11:47

People are rude. Don't take any offence or give it any head space.
I was 29 when I fell pregnant with my first, my husband of 5 years was 31. We owned a lovely home and both had good stable careers that we'd worked hard in for years.

My brother was still shocked and asked if it was planned ffs!

You can't win! Prepare yourself for more comments on your feeding and general child rearing choices.

Congratulations

MissT2095 Tue 23-May-17 08:20:07

I'm 25 DP is 27. I'm currently pregnant with our first and have been asked more than once if it was planned!

We own a beautiful home and have good jobs, and whilst maybe for this day and age I'm fairly young to start a family, we're more settled than most people older than us but people seem to think it's appropriate to make comments like "oh that must have been a surprise!" No, not really!!

I think people just feel the need to say something about the pending arrival. That and "are you sure your not having twins?!" are really starting to grate on me!

Pooky77 Tue 23-May-17 08:24:18

I had similar comments from a nurse at my gp practice she assumed my pregnancy must have been an accident because I was 39 and clearly in her mind that meant I hadn't wanted children because who would wait til then? I then explained to her that my baby was a very much wanted and longed for ivf success. People say the stupidest shit to you while you are pregnant I'm sorry that you and your DH are getting such comments and I wish people could get some tact or just learn to keep their opinions to themselves.

gracey1 Tue 23-May-17 20:59:26

I think some people are just thoughtless. Thanks for the comments xx

WantingBaby1 Thu 25-May-17 12:43:44

Utterly thoughtless and very rude. My mum had me when she was 40 in the mid 80s and then that was considered really old, DH's mum had him when she was 45 at around the same time. They both said the comments were constant! Both planned and both wanted. You just cant win though, it'll always be something. I'm 30 and 29 wks and ppl constantly ask me about how it'll affect my career and how I'll cope not working. People can be so rude.

EssentialHummus Thu 25-May-17 12:48:12

"That's really a private matter" or "This baby is very much wanted" and change the subject. Honestly, I'm 24/5 weeks now and whatever you do you'll get comments.

MrsBobDylan Sat 27-May-17 19:07:06

Ignore!my dh was 24 when we had our first and all his work colleagues were very rude, joking about him having no life and freedom and making me out to be a right harridan. We are now expecting no.4 and I'll be 44 when baby's here-am readying myself for lots of comments about planning and age but I couldn't give a toss!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now