Talk

Advanced search

What happens in your booking in appoinymsnt?

(12 Posts)
Expecting2017 Wed 19-Apr-17 07:35:25

Just that really!!

Also when did everyone first find heart beat on a doppler? I'm thinking of getting one

fruityb Wed 19-Apr-17 07:38:33

Weight, health questions, blood pressure. Just a once over.

And do not buy a Doppler. I cannot say that forcefully enough. I heard my baby's heartbeat when I was in labour lol. You do not need one and there's a reason people are trained to use them as they know what they're looking for. They don't necessarily need to hear it and you don't need to stress yourself out looking for it. Do. Not. Get. One.

JohnLapsleyParlabane Wed 19-Apr-17 07:41:02

You will also be asked about your domestic circumstances. Some of the questions are quite personal, but they ask everyone.

Sweetpotatoaddict Wed 19-Apr-17 07:43:36

Not much to be honest. Medical history, health questions, urine sample, height, weight, CO measurement, bloods, decision as to whether midwife led or consultant led. I'm not sure what I expected the first time I was pregnant, but it wasn't very exciting!

BendydickCuminsnatch Wed 19-Apr-17 07:43:48

My first took ages, about an hour I think. My second, last week, was like 20 mins (different county, London v Surrey). Questions abot lifstyle, take height and weight to get BMI, urine sample, blood samples, domestic violence questions, plan of care. Go with a list of questions if you're a worrier like megrin

trained midwives don't listen for heartbeat until 14 weeks plus, I really wouldn't bother getting a doppler. Would make me even more paranoid. I saw the baby's heartbeat on scans from 7 weeks.

BendydickCuminsnatch Wed 19-Apr-17 07:46:13

I mean because soon after 14 weeks you'll be able to go by the baby's movements to check everything is OK, so no point getting doppler for those few in betweeny weeks,

BendydickCuminsnatch Wed 19-Apr-17 07:46:43

I didn't feel DC1 move until 20 weeks but that's still only 6 weeks, and with your first you get a lot of MW appts where they check the hb anyway.

powerpuffer Wed 19-Apr-17 08:36:37

I am 15+4 and have used my doppler since 8 weeks, successfully. Every day I have a quick listen and it has saved my sanity. At first it took about 20 minutes to find the heartbeat but now as I know where it is, it takes about 2 seconds. YouTube is great for helping you distinguish sounds, although my sister is a nurse and advised me originally.

People warn you against using them because they shouldn't be used later in pregnancy as they can give you false reassurance that everything is OK if fetal movements change. I won't be using mine when I start feeling proper kicks as you should rely on kicks but in those early weeks when there is no evidence that everything is OK, the doppler was fantastic.

Only you know if you'd he reassured by it or if it would stress you out if you couldn't find the heartbeat.

Expecting2017 Wed 19-Apr-17 11:20:31

Will I be able to hear heart beat at 12 week scan? Or is it just a scan? Firs time mum sorry!

fruityb Wed 19-Apr-17 12:47:46

You'll see it on the screen

powerpuffer Wed 19-Apr-17 16:26:04

I heard mine at 12 week scan, they had the volume on the machine turned up so we could

Expecting2017 Thu 20-Apr-17 07:39:16

I heard mine on the doppler last night. I caved! I wasn't worried if I didn't hear it and it took a while to find as I could only hear the placenta for ages. Just hoping I get my scan before I go on holiday!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now