We rely on advertising to keep the lights on.

Please consider adding us to your whitelist.

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Can my scan be wrong?

(15 Posts)
confuseddot Wed 05-Apr-17 07:08:14

So my last period which was a unsuually light period was at the very start of Feb. I went to Sexual health clinic two days ago for a early scan and she said the baby was six weeks maximum with a heart beat.

I went to Sexual Health clinic as I was unsure whether I was keeping the baby. Could the woman doing the ultrasound be wrong? I had said previously if it looked like a baby then I would be keeping it. She was blunt and said we'll it isn't a baby it's a foetus before she even scanned me. Found that a tad rude! I went to the midwifes to register yesterday and she said it seems a bit strange that I'd be 6 weeks if my period was so long ago.

So I'm wondering whether any of your early scans were wrong?

I

MrsBobDylan Wed 05-Apr-17 08:17:24

If your early Feb bleed was a period, then 6 weeks sounds right. I think the early scans are very accurate, maybe a couple of days leeway either side. Congrats!

MrsBobDylan Wed 05-Apr-17 08:19:57

Actually I've counted up wrong - I think you should be 8+ weeks. Very confusing!

confuseddot Wed 05-Apr-17 17:59:59

Yeah really confusing!

Zaberwocky Fri 07-Apr-17 08:24:30

All I can think of is you implanted MUCH later than you thought you did. Are your cycles normally quite regular?

Rainbowsandbuttercups Fri 07-Apr-17 08:41:10

Hi zaber sorry have name changed as was a bit bored!! Yes periods were very regular as I was on the pill so I'd heavily bleed for a full week in my week break from the pill x

Zaberwocky Fri 07-Apr-17 09:06:49

That's honestly all I can think of ...hmm without wanting to be rude, did the woman doing the scan seem competent (other than being a complete arse)? If she wasn't as experienced she may possibly have dated you wrong? I imagine that early scans are quite hard to measure!

Another thought, was there a heartbeat? The only other option I can think of is that the baby has stopped growing at 6 weeks. I'm so sorry, I hate to suggest that, but that needs to be ruled out as well.

Have you had any more thoughts about what you want to do OP? In terms of continuing with the pregnancy.

Rainbowsandbuttercups Fri 07-Apr-17 09:25:20

I am continuing with the pregnancy and yes she said there was a heart beat x

Zaberwocky Fri 07-Apr-17 09:42:31

Then the only real option is that possibly didn't read the scan correctly smile relax for now. Hopefully it'll be clarified at your next scan. It may be in idea to request another in two weeks, if possible, perhaps tell your GP that you think she might have been mistaken and you'd like a second opinion?

Oh and congratulations too smile

Rainbowsandbuttercups Fri 07-Apr-17 09:57:53

Thank you x

BasinHaircut Fri 07-Apr-17 13:17:46

I don't think those bleeds count as actual periods. That's what I've always been told. So you could have ovulated at any time really, I think she is right and you are 6 weeks.

Rainbowsandbuttercups Fri 07-Apr-17 13:48:17

What periods when I ahem my week break into he pill? My last period before that one was January. So confusing

BasinHaircut Fri 07-Apr-17 17:06:47

Yeah as I understand it it's just a withdrawal bleed and not really anything to do with your actual cycle. You, in theory, shouldn't be releasing any eggs on that type of pill should you? I might be wrong though so maybe worth asking a HCP.

Rainbowsandbuttercups Fri 07-Apr-17 17:39:32

Microgynon releases eggs but it thickens the mucus in the cervix to stop the egg implanting. To my knowledge

Rainbowsandbuttercups Fri 07-Apr-17 17:49:54

Just googled apparently not supposed to release eggs!! Maybe it was my gp that said my cervix mucus lining would be thicker so I shouldn't have got pregnant even though egg was released. Oops x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now