Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

To call in sick

(5 Posts)
gracey1 Mon 27-Mar-17 05:58:24

So I'm 11+3 and have been awake since 1am. (Only 1.5 hours in total sleep). I've struggled with sleep over last week which results in me being shakey and exhausted by 2pm, nog exactly functional at work and now really down in my hours. I haven't told work about pregnancy but really need time off. I really can't face going in today, but not sure what to tell my boss (who I can't tell the truth to as she keeps no confidence)?

BikeRunSki Mon 27-Mar-17 06:24:04

I had this dilemma.
Call in sick today, you'll be no good anyway. Stomach bug, food poisoning something like that.
But bear in mind that
1- pregnancy related sickness can not count against you in any kind of disciplinary assessment. Do if you have been off sick a lot, you will be at a huge advantage if you do tell your employer.
2- your employer has a duty of care to carry out a pregnancy risk assessment for you, once you tell them. This isn't just stuff about not working on building sites or with poisonous chemicals. If can be about working hours, lifting and other more office based tasks.

If you don't want to tell your boss direct, is there someone more senior who is more approachable? Or an HR person? They would have to tell your boss I suppose, but could tell her with a heavy warning about discretion.

I ended up telling work at 7 wks both times because I was so sick.

Pregnancy Sickness Support is an excellent website.

gracey1 Mon 27-Mar-17 08:53:59

Thanks bike. I've not had any days off during pregnancy but started not sleeping since middle of last week. I have no confidence that it will be kept private so have just said tummy bug. My scan is next Monday and hopefully all will be well and I can tell the world myself!!! X

BikeRunSki Mon 27-Mar-17 09:04:12

Good luck with the next week. I hated being pg, never enjoyed it, never bloomed. But as a manager, I'd recommend you do tell your workplace as soon as you feel comfortable to. Your manager sounds awful though, it's her job to be approachable.

Zaberwocky Tue 28-Mar-17 15:36:08

Do you have HR department? If so I'd recommend contacting them and telling them the truth. They'll keep it confidential, and keep your manager off your back (as best they can!)

I used to get this all the time, employees didn't always feel ready to tell their line manager. It's no big deal.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now