Talk

Advanced search

Plus size pregnancy

(285 Posts)
MrsB12345 Mon 06-Mar-17 19:12:07

Hi everyone. I'm 5w5d and currently a size 20. When we decided to start trying I expected it to take at least 6 months....we fell pregnant straight away - first time we tried. Hubby is now congratulating his 'super sperm' on a daily basis (I had nothing to do with it obvs!😂

I've tried to find a thread for plus size pregnancies and can't find one so thought I'd start one up

I really hope I get a nice bump and don't just look and feel fatter x

Meowstro Mon 06-Mar-17 20:17:41

Congratulations on your pregnancy flowers

I'm 17 weeks and plus size too, I'm a size 22 but wished I wasn't. I was on a diet when I fell pregnant and wasn't expecting to get pregnant so soon. I've got a bump going on now, you can tell it's not because I'm fat.

Great idea on starting the thread!

KoolKoala07 Mon 06-Mar-17 20:24:00

Hi I'm 6+2. I'm a size 18. I lost 2 stone last year for my wedding, but have gained most of it back angry really worried about gaining loads whilst pregnant. Am trying not to be too greedy!

MrsB12345 Mon 06-Mar-17 21:46:15

Hi ladies. I too am worried I might eat too much. I've got minimal will power when it comes to anything bad. I've put 2lb on so far but I'm drinking so much water every day. I'm constantly thirsty

All I want is a nice bump but I carry a lot of weight on my boobs and tummy so am really conscious I won't get one x

Catherinebee85 Tue 07-Mar-17 23:11:24

Hi. I'm 17+4 and still just look fatter than normal. I'm a size 16-18. Joined slimming world last week to keep the gains under control. Since 5th Jan I've only put on 3.5lbs. My tummy feels pregnant to me when I'm lying in bed but stood up....I still just look fat angry lol x

MrsB12345 Wed 08-Mar-17 22:00:58

Hi everyone. I have thought about dieting but my doc told me I shouldn't as it's too late which I agree with but I'd like to lose some belly fat x

Meowstro Wed 08-Mar-17 23:06:57

I have HG so lost just under 2st during this pregnancy already. Believe me, it is a big worry about baby growing healthily when you lose rapidly and not something you want! It's a little different with me as due to my condition I'm told to eat whatever I can. However, MW has always said when I can eat properly, healthy eating is best to maintain and not gain and said diets are a no-no during pregnancy. Perhaps Slimming World to maintain, if anything? Apparently MWs generally approve of it - it's not a fad, more healthy eating and a lifestyle change. Maybe ask your GP or midwife if they'd support your decision to do this?

Kitsandkids Thu 09-Mar-17 09:09:11

Hi ladies, I'm 23+6 with my first. Pre pregnancy I was an 18-20. It did take us a long time to get pregnant but for various reasons I don't think that had much to do with my size.

I'm only just starting to look pregnant instead of just fat. This week a friend commented on me having a bump. My 2 foster kids haven't noticed yet but I think we're going to have to tell them soon.

I struggle to find trousers at the best of times. I have big thighs and hips so often 18s would be far too tight there but then a 20 would be way too loose at the waist. I finally found that an 18 jeans from Bon Marche fit perfectly so have been living in them for the last 3 years (a few different pairs as they always wear away between my thighs in the end). When the last pair got a hole in them, when I was about 14 weeks, I bought a size 20 and they fit perfectly. No sign of them becoming too small yet but, as I say, my proper bump has only just started to emerge.

HopingForALittleOne Sun 12-Mar-17 06:11:57

Hello may I join?
I've just found out I'm pregnant and I'm a size 18-20. This is my second attempt, my first attempt ended as a chemical pregnancy last month.
I know you have to cut down on caffeine which isn't really a problem for me as I don't drink too much tea or coffee and I'm now used to drinking 2-3 litres of water a day - however I have a real sweet tooth... I love chocolate.
I think I have some chocolate every day but I've heard it's got caffeine in and so you should limit any chocolate you have. Can anyone relate and grateful for any advice xx

haveacupoftea Sun 12-Mar-17 10:04:25

Hi, I was a size 20 pre preg now 28 weeks and a proper bump is starting to appear. Plus size pregnancy has its downfalls but much better than NOT being pregnant! I have GD now though so have to eat healthily and have only put on about half a stone so far.

My bump has got too big for maternity jeans and I have now made the permenant shift to leggings and jeggings blush my feet have also gone from a size 5 to a 7! Can't wait for maxi dress and flip flop weather!

MrsB12345 Mon 13-Mar-17 06:46:37

Hi ladies, welcome 😊

I'm worried about GD so going to start reading about it to see how to try to avoid getting it. I'm only 6 weeks so still a long way to go.

@HopingForALittleOne I'm not sure what you could do to replace choc but maybe adding some other healthy snacks like nuts or fruit in alongside can help. I'm sure a little bit of choc each day would be ok - maybe not a whole bar though x

HabbyHadno Tue 14-Mar-17 08:54:32

Hi all, so glad I found this! I'm 23+3 with my second baby and had a BMI of 36 at my booking appt, which is a right old pain!

I had my first consultant appointment yesterday and it scared me to death. My last birth was amazing in the hospital's birth centre, but I was told yesterday that I can't use it because I'm one point over the BMI limit, despite having no other health issues other than being a bit fat. I'm looking into my options as i was pretty much told that I'd need constant monitoring and my baby would get stuck on the way out! So feeling pretty disgruntled this morning.

Anyway, it's nice to find other plus size mums. I'm definitely finding this pregnancy a bit tougher than the first (I was a size 16 back then), but not sure if that's just because it's my second or because I'm four years older and four stone heavier!

Also, plus sized maternity clothes - has anyone found a good pair of jeans anywhere? I'm struggling.

MrsB12345 Tue 14-Mar-17 16:56:41

Hi @HabbyHadno sorry to hear you've had a rubbish app. Just because we are overweight doesn't mean we care any less. I've seen the doc twice since finding out. Bizarrely the first was because it was me who was worried about my weight and the GP wasnt that bothered. She asked me for a urine sample and thought I had a urine infection so sent the sample off. The second app was because I was told I needed to go back and discuss the results which ended up being nothing to worry about and again the doc (different one) wasn't worried.

I always wanted a water birth but I get the feeling being plus size means I won't be able to?!

Can't help with the jeans question but would be interested to hear if anyone knows of a good place to find them too x

HabbyHadno Tue 14-Mar-17 18:28:07

I think you can have a water birth, but you have to use a hospital ward rather than a birth centre. My hospital said they had one pool on the ward, but that means there's no guarantees you'll get it.

Supersmith Tue 14-Mar-17 18:42:09

Thanks for starting this thread! I'm 12+2 and a size 18-20. I've always carried fat mainly on my stomach so I'm worried about the lack of bump,just glad I can say there's a baby there and it's not just.... fat.

PinkUnicorn1990 Tue 14-Mar-17 18:45:37

Hi I was a 16-18 pre pg, bmi 37 I think, now 37 weeks. No GD and all ok so far (fingers crossed). Took me a while to get a bump - about 20ish weeks- but now definitely bumpy!!
I'm not allowed a water birth even at the hospital due to bmi as my hospital has a limit, so it might be down to the individual trust.
Hope all you ladies are getting on ok with your pregnancies smile

Meowstro Tue 14-Mar-17 19:51:05

I really want a water birth but I'm not able to in hospital. I've thought about having one at home but I'm too far away from hospital to do that and don't want to risk it sad

Yours Clothing have a maternity range online which you can click and collect in store if you have one close by. They do some lovely over the bump jeans and leggings but definitely go for your pre-baby size as they are cut accurately.

I'd also recommend George (Asda). Depending on your size you may also be able to find something in ASOS' maternity range.

HopingForALittleOne Tue 14-Mar-17 20:19:08

Oh wow I hadn't even realised you couldn't have a water birth if you had a high bmi?! Why? What f you have a home birth with water pool? Oh gosh I had always thought I would like a water birth...

Thanks for tips about maternity clothes x

MrsB12345 Tue 14-Mar-17 20:19:18

Is it wrong that if for any reason I have to have a c section I am hoping for the sympathy vote and getting a tummy tuck too 😂

troodiedoo Tue 14-Mar-17 20:29:11

Hi ladies I'm 39 weeks and a size 18/20. Have had a pretty easy pregnancy. My heart rate slightly high but not majorly so.

Don't waste your money searching for the holy grail of maternity jeans, they don't exist. Dorothy perks maternity leggings are the way forward.

PinkUnicorn1990 Tue 14-Mar-17 20:36:39

Hoping not sure about home birth, but with my hospital it's for safety, say you passed out, just the physical aspect of lifting a patient out of the pool. It's a shame as I wanted to as well! I was on the border at 12 weeks but now obvs over due to baby weight!

PinkUnicorn1990 Tue 14-Mar-17 20:38:01

In regards to maternity jeans, I live in my New Look over bump jeans. For leggings, H &M over Bump leggings are great, mothercare pretty good too.

I have also now got a mothercare support belt which is good for supporting your belly smile

HabbyHadno Tue 14-Mar-17 20:49:34

I think I need a support belt as I'm having pretty bad round ligament pain this time. At least I think that's what it is!

NauseousNancy Tue 14-Mar-17 20:54:58

Hello smile

I am currently 27 weeks, bmi was 38 at booking appointment. A little paranoid about how much weight I should gain - how much have you all gained?

I'm around a size 18-20. I have mothercare maternity jeans - I really like them, I have them in an 18. I think they must be a bit roomy because I'm not sure I could squeeze into a size 18 skinnies usually!!

PinkUnicorn1990 Tue 14-Mar-17 21:18:01

I am similar bmi nauseous, the midwife didn't want me to put too much weight on, but as I had massive cravings for carbs blush I have put on about 2 stones. Although I think this is average so I'm not too worried!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now