Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Why so many second hand Bugaboos?

(39 Posts)
tatatetelle Mon 30-Jan-17 10:32:41

Morning MN

I'm currently on the market for a pram (carrycot + seat) for new baby coming in July. Just looking not buying for now, and amazed at how freakishly expensive everything is!
So not dismissing buying very good condition second hand, and looking on sites like gumtree, I'm finding a LOT of Bugaboos, and very few Mamas and Papas, or Silver Cross for instance. These are not the only brands I'm looking at, just examples, but given the price of a new Bugaboo, I wonder are so many people selling them after a year!? Do they not age well?

If you own one, or did in the past, or are considering buying one, what are your thoughts? Thanks!

Mermaid36 Mon 30-Jan-17 10:34:20

Have you looked at Babyjogger?

Soubriquet Mon 30-Jan-17 10:37:03

I think it's cos it's nice as a newborn buggy but when the baby gets toddler sized it's just too big and heavy to lug around so they switch it for a stroller

tatatetelle Mon 30-Jan-17 10:37:34

No I haven't! I'll add to my (already too long) list of brands to check out thanks!

tatatetelle Mon 30-Jan-17 10:38:31

Would make sense Soubriquet - you see a lot of carrycot but not many toddlers in them in the streets..

Lules Mon 30-Jan-17 10:38:58

I think they last well. Had mine almost 18 months and it's as good as new. My sister has had hers more than 4 years and for 2 children and it's still fine.

DunedinGirl Mon 30-Jan-17 10:39:24

We had a Silver Cross Wayfarer and haven't sold it because we plan to use it again. It was just fantastic.

EstelleRoberts Mon 30-Jan-17 10:40:01

I have a bugaboo cameleon, 18 months old and it looks brand new. I love it. While it is heavy to lift, it's really manoeuvrable, and has a really big basket for shopping (it's v awkward to have to carry shopping and push the buggy at the same time). I won't be selling mine any time soon!

MrsCharlesBrandon Mon 30-Jan-17 10:41:53

Babyjogger are fantastic. I discovered them with DS. Wish i'd known about them for DDs 1&2, i'd have saved a fortune!

Bugaboo hold their value really well, but it seems they may not be that practical long term.

tatatetelle Mon 30-Jan-17 10:51:03

Thanks for the feedback! I was also looking at the Bugaboo Cameleon - or Mamas and Papas Armadillo or Ocarro, something sturdy as we do go to the beach and hiking a fair bit so need something that will hold.

And ideally something that's not too heavy, and that will fit in a car trunk - but I think that might be asking a lot!! grin

mytinselsinatangle Mon 30-Jan-17 10:54:08

I think lots of people buy a big pushchair like a bugaboo type, then when the baby is about 12m they then buy an easy fold up stroller.

Often they then have a second baby and buy a double so the first buggy gets sold.

PotteringAlong Mon 30-Jan-17 10:56:10

I also think lots of people buy a bugaboo because they think it's expensive and fashionable and the pram to have, without ever researching its suitability.

AuntiePenguin Mon 30-Jan-17 11:05:43

They're very popular, so I suppose there are a lot in circulation.

Also because they hold their value and sell on pretty well people are more likely to bother to sell them rather than just donating them to a charity shop.

Plus most of them can't be converted to doubles, so if you have a second child within 2/3 years you prob sell it to buy a double.

Don't think it's necessarily that there's a problem with them, the people I know who have them seen happy.

tatatetelle Mon 30-Jan-17 11:13:13

Thank you! All very good reasons I imagine, gives some good perspective on what criteria need to come first when actually purchasing.

PuraVida Mon 30-Jan-17 11:17:37

I think it's more because they don't break. I bought second hand one, used it from birth to 3 ish with each of my two children and it was still in good condition. I sold it for not much less then I bought it for 6 years later. I think they're great pushchsirs. Very versatile and unless you regularly use public transport it'll likely tick all your boxes

CookieLady Mon 30-Jan-17 11:19:02

I had mine for four years and it still looked new. I honestly couldn't fault it. Went on to sell it and the buyer was very happy.

middlings Mon 30-Jan-17 11:30:19

Very versatile and unless you regularly use public transport it'll likely tick all your boxes

^^this.

Mine has given me 4.5 years useful service and there's life in the old girl yet. I'd probably get it serviced before I sold it on in order to maximise it's value but it's great.

I think the main reason so many people sell it quite quickly is for public transport reasons. It's fine on a (not crowded) train, so long as you have step free access but it's not good on buses at all. Far too big. I know people who went to a kick and fold quite early on for that reason.

Also, as others have said, it doesn't convert to a double. However, I bought a double (The Out and About, was brilliant), borrowed a second bugaboo frame from a friend and then had the pram & seat attachment on the go for when i was taking just one of the DDs out. The double got retired (and sold) about 18 months in and I started using a buggy board with the Cameleon.

Yes, it was expensive but I wouldn't have traded it.

Did look at the Donkey though and didn't buy that as it was extortionate once you'd kitted it out fully and it is enormous! I only ever met one shop door the Out and About couldn't deal with.

kel1234 Mon 30-Jan-17 11:37:50

I have a silver cross pioneer and love it. I think a lot of people sell them once the baby gets to a certain age as they prefer to switch to a lightweight smaller buggy type pushchair. I know people have asked me why I don't get a smaller lightweight pushchair as my ds is nearly 17 months. But I'd never not use my silver cross, I got it brand new and got all the matching extras on top, so at best part of £800 all together i intend to use it until ds no longer needs a pram.
Also as he was our 1st baby we are planning to keep it all for baby number 2 in a few years.

Farfromtheusual Mon 30-Jan-17 12:02:35

Sorry no experience of Bugaboos, but I don't think I could bring myself to pay that much money for one. Extortionate. I'd imagine people are selling them on, as they would rather have the cash than a ridiculously expensive pushchair lying around the house when they no longer need it. Heard they keep there value better than most others.

Just a quick thought for you OP, but if you can't find anything decent second hand, and want new, what about the Baby Show? They're usually in London, Birmingham and Manchester in March-May time, the tickets aren't much and you can usually get discount on them anyway! I did so much research about prices for the pushchairs I liked before I went and the baby show came out with the best price and value for money! I think Baby Planet are the main pushchair retailer at the show. They sell most brands, bugaboo, graco, britax, silver cross, icandy etc. I got an iCandy pushchair, maxi cosi pebble plus car seat and 2 way isofix base for a really good price from them. At least £150 below RRP! Might be worth having a look there if it's practical for you to get to any of the locations! I'd just make sure you check the delivery times first so you're not cutting it too fine for baby's arrival! I almost didn't have a pushchair before DS arrived because it was longer than they originally said!

tatatetelle Mon 30-Jan-17 12:23:03

Thank you all for your feedback that's really helpful!! Re thinking the bugaboo as I'd want to have something I can take in any public transport (we don't have a car) and that's also easy to carry and fold. Looks like it's a fab pram, but maybe not suitable for us...

Kel1234 I'm like you I'd want to have something I can keep long term.

Farfromtheusual I'll have a look at what shows are next around London, I'm a bit worried these places can get overwhelming but might be worth a try!

HoHumming Mon 30-Jan-17 12:29:29

I sold mine I was needed a double after two years.

I don't think I'd have sold it at that time otherwise but i replaced my double with a McLaren it is much easier to fold up in the car and is fine for daily use as older children don't tend to sit in it for long periods.

I'd really recommend the Bugaboo Cameleon. I replaced my Cameleon with a Donkey which I found very heavy with two toddlers.

Another reason people sell them is to try to recover some of the cost as they are expensive to but but have a very good resale value.

BakingWithPreSchoolerand6YO Mon 30-Jan-17 12:32:37

Have you considered a bugaboo bee instead of the chameleon? After baby no longer needs the cocoon / carrycot part it'll fold all in one. I got rid of a chameleon style buggy after DD2 was born as it was too much of a faff to take it apart to fold into boot when I had a whinging toddler and crying newborn. I bought a second hand bugaboo bee and love it. Very easy to push, copes fine when I used to have buggy board (not a bugaboo one) attached, can go parent facing or front facing and the seat adjusts so it'll take a 6/9 month old up to a 4/5 year old. It folds and unfolds easily and has huge basket underneath. I love it so much we still use it occasionally even though DD2 is nearly four and a half and perfectly capable of walking distances!

WhirlwindHugs Mon 30-Jan-17 12:39:15

Have a look at mountain buggy too, if you want a mix of offroad and public transport. A little umbrella fold type will not cope off road at all.

Anything that has a seperate carrycot will be a pain if you have to fold it on public transport so I would look for ssomething that can have a newborn in lying flat, and be folded in that position - even if not parentfacing, then if there is an option to change it to parent facing if you're not going to be getting on a bus then that's nice to have as a bonus.

tatatetelle Mon 30-Jan-17 12:46:55

Hi Baking, I've tested it and it is very nice and smaller, from what I've seen and read, the bee is a great city pram but we need something a bit more robust to go on rocky roads, snow, sand...

tatatetelle Mon 30-Jan-17 13:01:57

Thanks Whirl, yes the Mamas and Papas Ocarro is high on my list and it does just that - they say it can hold a newborn in lying flat, need to go check it out in store.
I like the Jooltz too but I think it's quite big as well.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now