Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

No info from midwives

(8 Posts)
firsttimedaddy11 Tue 02-Aug-16 15:01:57

Hi all, first time poster here, my other half is currently 26 week pregnant, just wondering what the protocol is surrounding antenatal classes?
Is it something we have to arrange ourselves or should we be guided by the hospital?
My other half seems to think the classes are a load of nonsense, but as its our first child I think they would be essential..... Look forward to hearing some opinions.

BITCAT Tue 02-Aug-16 18:45:24

I never did any. And all my pregnancies were fast and fairly easy tbh. Best advice I was ever given was just go with the flow don't fight it and you body will tell you what to do and keep calm.
If you really want to do them ask the midwife at the next check up.

ChatterNatterer Tue 02-Aug-16 21:52:24

Yes we booked ourselves with NCT and you could book yourself onto the free hospital ones too - but the onus was on us to decide what we wanted to do and book ourselves on smile

welshweasel Tue 02-Aug-16 21:53:47

No free ones round here. I did NCT, the classes weren't brilliant but the people I met have literally been lifesavers over the past 6 months. If you already know lots of people with babies then I wouldn't necessarily bother as you can read all the info online.

Essexgirlupnorth Tue 02-Aug-16 21:58:44

There was a notice up at my 20 week scan to book the antenatal classes. Had to phone and book them.
Booked the NCT ones ourselves.

pestov Tue 02-Aug-16 22:50:41

Assuming that you'll be the birthing partner, there are plenty of good tips online. NHS classes were very basic and were Mums only at my hospital.

Paying for an antenatal group is the best money you will spend preparing for baby. Doesn't really matter which one as long as you do it as local as you can; I did NCT but have heard similar about Daisy and parentcraft from friends in other areas. Your lovely partner may not be worried about the birth and content of the classes, but she will massively benefit from knowing others with babies due at the same time, both mentally and socially. First time motherhood is very isolating and even if she had friends with babies, they will be at very different stages for a long time yet

isthatpoisontoo Wed 03-Aug-16 11:44:13

My midwife didn't say anything, either. Several weeks after I got it I found a piece of paper in with all the pointless leaflets she'd shoved at me, with contact details to arrange classes at my local hospital.

I went to the first one last night. They actually seem really useful. I'm doing NCT as well, but it's good to know how they do things at the hospital I'm actually using. E.g. how long they leave you alone for after the birth, that they encourage natural placenta delivery, that they offer some pain meds I hadn't heard of, as they don't have them at most hospitals. They're going to ask me to make decisions about these things, so I would like to understand the questions! I'm glad we went.

If I were you I'd call maternity triage and see if your local hospital offers anything. For a social circle/support network, NCT classes might be helpful.

GoldenWorld Wed 03-Aug-16 11:47:57

Most areas have free classes but it varies as to how good they are. Ask at your next appointment. Areas that just do a one day class you don't normally go till you're about 36 weeks as it's not really worth it before then. Some areas also do a breastfeeding workshop if your partner's interested in that but men aren't always allowed to go, you'd have to check.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now