Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Due in February 2017....thread 5!

(995 Posts)
SkyLucy Sat 30-Jul-16 15:39:07

Thread five for the chattiest bunch of preggers ladies you've ever had the pleasure of encountering. We're greeting the second trimester with excitement and apprehension, and lots of questions, humour, reassurance, empathy and advice.

Fourth thread here: www.mumsnet.com/Talk/antenatal_clubs/2684139-february-2017-thread-4-are-we-the-chattiest-bunch-or-what

wm3010 Sat 30-Jul-16 16:07:49

Thanks for the new thread Sky

SkyLucy Sat 30-Jul-16 16:20:53

Yay you found it! Hope the others do too...!

ScottishSnowflake Sat 30-Jul-16 16:27:32

Thanks Sky! Found you all smile

CinderellaFant Sat 30-Jul-16 16:40:52

Found you all. Out shopping for maternity jeans today- my own were squishing me! Whilst in mothercare I had a look at prams- anyone had an icandy before?? I'm loving the look of them!

Dutchy88 Sat 30-Jul-16 16:49:50

Found you.

Readyfortwo Sat 30-Jul-16 16:53:56

I found it too! On the mat pay front, last time I got statutory only but I've changed employers since then & thankfully now have an enhanced package. It's a bit complicated as you only get the enhanced pay when you go back to work & they deduct statutory money, but I should end up with around 17 wks full pay which is a huge improvement. I'll be back to work after 25 wks ish & then DH will go into shared parental, but that's statutory only. The big difference is we'll be shelling out for DS' nursery fees this time so def need the extra money. Last time we managed just fine on statutory tho....you spend a lot less money when ur home with a baby all day!

2ManySweets Sat 30-Jul-16 17:28:34

Re: shopping - really want to buy Topshop maternity dungarees but holding off until 12w scan shows all is well.

Waiting is doing my actual paps in. angry

2ManySweets Sat 30-Jul-16 17:36:02

Also: is anyone's appetite all over the place? I shift most of my day's food in the morning, then a big lunch and by teatime I feel like I could retch at the idea of a meal.

ScottishSnowflake Sat 30-Jul-16 17:45:00

2Many, I'm exactly the same. Just going with it but the scales now hate me! blush

SpinALittleFaster Sat 30-Jul-16 17:46:21

evergreen everyone is entitled to stat paternity pay of 2 weeks but some companies offer more.

Maternity leave for me was more expensive than being at work. We car share so our petrol costs went up with both of us running cars. Then there's coffee with friends, classes and boredom shopping with a baby asleep on your chest. I had very strict budgets before I went off though and we were fine.
I get 6 weeks full then 33 weeks at half or stat, whichever is higher.

LondonGirl83 Sat 30-Jul-16 18:44:48

Thanks for the new thread sky

DH doesn't love his job and has been considering leaving the civil service for years. However we agreed that the paternity package was too good to leave before having at least one baby

gumbootsandjandals Sat 30-Jul-16 19:00:24

I'm in the NHS so I get 8 weeks full, 18 weeks half + stat, then just stat to 39 weeks. I have to go back to work for at least 3 months or I have to repay the enhanced bit. I may not be going back to work after this one though so will probably just get stat pay, which is nothing to sneer at I guess.

My colleague found out she was 8 weeks pregnant the week she started working with us, and she won't qualify for statutory or enhanced pay. We think she might get a maternity allowance though.

CeeCeeEnnEss Sat 30-Jul-16 19:24:19

I get 6 months full, 3 months stat. I have to be at work for a year afterwards otherwise I have to pay back half of the enhanced. Could be worse.

Mysterycat23 Sat 30-Jul-16 19:35:58

Wow some of us have really great mat/pat leave packages! I've not ever seen an enhanced package irl, nice to know some employers are still doing it. While we're on the topic of budgeting, how much do you reckon childcare will cost? I've seen some fairly horrible numbers which would mean it's pointless me working at all. We live in Midlands btw... Working full time I get about £300 a week. Can you get childcare for less than that?

SpinALittleFaster Sat 30-Jul-16 19:43:22

mystery I am in a very cheap area for childcare and pay over £40 per day for DD's nursery. There was a woman in my last antenatal group who was paying over £80 per day in the south though so there's a huge variation.

SausageDogGeorge Sat 30-Jul-16 20:08:11

Found you! Thanks for starting a new thread skysmile

MimiDiddy Sat 30-Jul-16 20:12:40

I've found you too, thanks for the new thread Sky.

Been maternity clothes shopping, managed to get some jeans and tights but the selection in most shops is bobbins, I shall be getting the rest of my stuff online. Have been proudly sporting my bump today 😁

Readyfortwo Sat 30-Jul-16 20:32:24

I've been showing off the bump today too....still feel borderline fat but think most people would call it preggers at this stage...

Readyfortwo Sat 30-Jul-16 20:36:17

Childcare is v.expensive where I am (down south) mystery, it really depends on what hours you need to cover etc. My nursery costs £1450 p/mth under 2, but that's with hours covering 7am-6.30pm & all food, nappies etc included. It's worth enquiring soon though as I had to put DS on the list at 20wks pg!

radderss Sat 30-Jul-16 21:02:40

£1450 a month! Wow!
You've got to earn a pretty hefty salary for it to make sense working full time haven't you really?

radderss Sat 30-Jul-16 21:03:16

I don't mean you personally readyfortwo sorry, I just mean in general... Childcare is so expensive

Shellbell0403 Sat 30-Jul-16 21:09:23

Just marking my place 😀 xx

SBSparkles Sat 30-Jul-16 21:21:52

Hi all thanks for the new thread. On a train with screaming kids (older) mine are going to be so well behaved! angry with regards to my mat pay they actually weren't all that sure what I'd get! They told me to fill in the form and see! So may be a nice or not so nice surprise!! Either way will be saving once I start teaching again in Sept!

radderss Sat 30-Jul-16 22:03:22

My bump (I should prob say bloat!) at 10 + 1... I'm going to be massive hmm

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now