Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

July 2016 Babies (8) - 3rd trimester here we come

(994 Posts)
Ellizardo Sat 09-Apr-16 08:24:31

Hoping this works as total techno-luddite! Happy Saturdays all.

primarynoodle Sat 09-Apr-16 11:01:33

Placemarking for ease of access!

27 weeks tomorrow - 1 week away from 3rd trimester... cant believe how quickly its going! (Thank god)

BelOfTheBall79 Sat 09-Apr-16 11:05:59

Can't believe we're all entering the third trimester! Probably ought to get on with a bit more serious prep...loads to do still...

YouAndMeAreGoingToFallOut Sat 09-Apr-16 11:10:21

The second trimester did seem to go very quickly. I expect the third probably drags a bit!

Anyone got nice plans for today? We're waiting in all day for various deliveries: the various bits of furniture for baby's room are coming from IKEA, a food shop is coming from Sainsbury's (with all my hopefully GD friendly foods in it!) and the Baby Jogger City Mini and a few other bits are coming from Amazon. So a bumper shopping day really!

Bluebell20 Sat 09-Apr-16 11:18:40

Hey ladies! My Cheeky Wipes kit just arrived in the post - ridiculously over-excited, as this is the first proper thing I've purchased for the baby (apart from a single body suit) and now I feel like I've set the ball rolling! Even DH was quite taken with the free wipes we got with our order, which have got little hearts printed on them... He liked the idea of wiping our baby's bum with little pink hearts!

Cross with DH last night as he came in from the pub, looked at my crochet hexagons laid out on the floor, and all he said was, 'Can I buy you some bright coloured wool for this?' >_< He doesn't like the fact that it's all blues and purples. To be perfectly fair, I have been quite ranty about the fact that the majority of baby boy stuff is blue, so it is hypocritical of me to then crochet a predominantly blue blanket. Trouble was, in the wool shop the bright colours weren't very nice, whereas they had SUCH a fabulous range of blues and purples that I just ended up with them...

I went to bed sulking!

I suppose I could get a load of red, yellow and orange wool, so it's half blues and half oranges, like a chequerboard? I just don't know if that will look as pretty! Any ideas?!

Bluebell20 Sat 09-Apr-16 11:20:19

I am about to go and tidy the two bedrooms so that I can take photos for your opinions on furniture movement, too!!!! I am so crap at making decisions!

KayTee87 Sat 09-Apr-16 11:37:06

Hello, noticed the new thread smile We had a dinner party last night so was knackered by the time I went to bed, slept quite well though!! Going out for lunch today and that's about it. Church tomorrow then out to the park with my friend and her kids. Hooe youre all having a nice weekend so far.

tams13 Sat 09-Apr-16 11:44:13

Thanks for the link youandme. Just coming back from a coffee with friends. Ended up in a small soft play area so their children could go off and play. Vague insight into what's coming for us now!

DH is back today after being away with work for just over a week. Will be lovely to have him back (and to get some curtains hung in the living room given I can't do it alone).

Can't believe how little time is left. It'll probably feel like forever but 26+1 today and it seems to have flown by!

dats Sat 09-Apr-16 13:13:11

Thanks for the new thread!

primary I've been meaning to look up when third tri starts, thanks!

Bluebell you could do blues and orange, they are one of my favourite combinations, but don't change your plans unless you want to! What you have already is lovely. I know what you mean about colours not being right. Congrats on your new hearty bum wipes grin

tams pre-DC1 I was like...soft-play - meh! But yeah...now I kind of get it!

We're trying to get some pictures up on the walls today. It's a slow process of measuring and interrupting it to play Playdoh, read, build blocks, make lunch. And I'm still in my pyjamas...

dats 25+6

Sophia1984 Sat 09-Apr-16 13:14:50

Marking my place :-) Nice chilled Saturday then parents over for dinner tomorrow - wondering what new baby goodies my mum has picked up!

Bluebell I make a massive deal about not automatically putting boys in blue and girls in pink but blue is such a lovely colour so I've ended up with quite a few blue clothes! Purple isn't traditionally 'masculine' though. I think it sounds lovely - could you add some turquoisey greens?

beckslovestimmy Sat 09-Apr-16 13:16:25

Marking place on new thread with bump pic 29+4 here!

Bluebell20 Sat 09-Apr-16 13:35:05

Thanks dats and Sophia! Yes, I was thinking about adding some greens.., I have a greeny wool that I haven't used so far but might try out now. DH has also had a change of heart now that he hasn't got four pints inside him, and has told me he thinks it is lovely as it is. Progress pic attached!

Then here are some photos of my office, which I am thinking of turning into an office slash guest room. I do need to keep the office as I mostly work from home.

Bluebell20 Sat 09-Apr-16 13:43:56

So the pigeon hole shelving in my last post runs all the way down one wall. It isn't fixed yet, and DH has suggested that we move the left hand two portions out into the small room, which would leave room for the single bed to go along the wall. This can then fold out to a double when people stay.

That would mean I could leave my desk in place, although I might move it further down along the wall so that it is right in the corner by the window. I'd remove the chest which is under the window and use it as a coffee table downstairs. Spinning wheel could go in front of the tall bookshelf?

allthegoodnamesalreadytaken Sat 09-Apr-16 13:56:40

Thanks for starting the new thread! We're off to babies r us today for a shopping spree with mate's 20% employee discount on everything. Weather's a bit rubbish today, can't wait for summer to arrive. Hope everyone has a lovely weekend

Bluebell20 Sat 09-Apr-16 14:07:23

Then this junk heap would become the nursery. First photo taken from doorway, second photo taken from the top corner of the bed looking back at the doorway, their photo taken from the top of the bed looking to the wall at the foot of the bed.

We would probably stack the two pigeon hole shelving units that we are removing from my office to give floor-to-ceiling pigeon holes - maybe on the wall of the third photo? They would probably still have to have our books in. Obviously we would screw them securely to the wall. Get rid of the bookshelves that are in there now - not sure where that stuff will go, eek - and get some kind of cupboard unit to keep baby stuff, probably on the wall of the first photo. Cot along the wall of the second photo because it is internal and not near a radiator. Then maybe a nursing chair by the window?! Can I fit all that?!

BeauticianNotMagician81 Sat 09-Apr-16 14:25:25

Eliz thanks for the new thread.

Bluebell what is space like downstairs? What Rooms do you have? Personally books in nursery would drive me mad. When baby is older you will be forever picking books up.

We are off on holiday on Monday. Only a week in Haven. It's all we wanted to spend this year as on a big save. It's meant to rain all week though. I have my midwife appt on the Monday when I get back. I haven't seen her since 16 weeks so feels strange. Can't believe only 13 weeks left now.

27+1

Bluebell20 Sat 09-Apr-16 14:51:37

Beautician no space downstairs, sadly! We have a kitchen/diner along the back of the house, which I couldn't store books in as they would get wrecked by the smell of cooking - and it is full, anyway. And our lounge is the tiniest lounge I've ever seen in any house - I think because the (also tiny) bathroom is downstairs and reduces the lounge space available. It has one sofa in it which was custom-made to be super-short! Could potentially put a few of the books down there, but there is no way it would house them all.

You are right though, it would drive me mad if the books got taken out / ripped / scribbled on later. But I don't think this is our 'forever' house as it is just too small - we'd struggle to fit a second kid in - so maybe we will be able to cope for a year or two?! Arghhhh!

Holiday sounds lovely smile

BeauticianNotMagician81 Sat 09-Apr-16 15:07:41

Bluebell do you need all of the items in the pigeon holes or can some be thrown away

BeauticianNotMagician81 Sat 09-Apr-16 15:10:18

I would be tempted to put a day bed in front of radiator, desk on wall next to mirror and then slimmer and taller storage each side. Would IKEA Kallax work.

Bluebell20 Sat 09-Apr-16 15:12:40

Ah Beautician, there is the crux of the matter, I think!!! I have gone through today and removed a box of books from the pigeon holes. One of them is full of old VHS home videos (inherited from my mum) which I can get transferred to DVD. I can also double stack the paperback books as the pigeon holes are deep enough, which would free up three more pigeon holes. The rest of it is expensive craft materials that I do use and can't really shed.

BeauticianNotMagician81 Sat 09-Apr-16 15:19:07

The IKEA day beds have huge drawers underneath as well which could be used as extra storage.

In the nursery I would put the cot along the side wall where bookcase is with foot end towards radiator wall then in the far corner on the third picture I would get a chest of drawers. I don't use a wardrobe for ds3 and he will be 3 in May. I would also get a changing unit for in front of radiator but pulled forward. Then one of your bookcases should still fit. I would have tubs with things in stored in at the bottom of bookcase and books at the top.

I love IKEA Kallax and IKEA in general. Our house isn't huge but we really space save with furniture. The Kallax units and boxes look nice. You could possibly use a Kallax unit for babies clothes in the bottom boxes and then books along the top.

http://m.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/art/80275887/

They come in all different sizes and colours and the Drona boxes are what we use to store all the ds toys.

BeauticianNotMagician81 Sat 09-Apr-16 15:20:21

I would be tempted to sell some of the furniture you have and replace with better space saving furniture.

YouAndMeAreGoingToFallOut Sat 09-Apr-16 15:42:19

I think Beautician is right - trying to get clever with storage solutions is probably your best option. IKEA are usually brilliant for this. We have a few of the Kallax units (or rather their predecessor, the Expedit) and they are great - you can fit loads in each box.

TheMissingPieceToMyPuzzle Sat 09-Apr-16 16:41:48

Thanks for the new thread!! Really struggling to keep up still.. Spent the morning in A&E as was getting worried about my breathing and BP but all is fine smile

gnat99 Sat 09-Apr-16 16:58:10

Hello all, thanks for the new thread Eliz!

Gosh I'm so behind, don't really know where to start. Between work and backache this week I haven't managed to reply to anyone. Have booked massage for next week which I'm hoping will help. Also my yoga and Pilates classes have started up again after the break (and another couple of weeks break on my part) so no doubt that should help too. Fingers crossed.

Puzzle sorry to hear you've been in A&E, glad all is fine. Make sure you have a nice restful afternoon and evening.

Bluebell, I love your study! Think small room would work fine as a nursery. I'm really bad at imagining space in rooms, have to literally play around with furniture sometimes until I can picture it properly. Otherwise it's just a case of measuring everything a million times.

Bluebell again: as for that gorgeous blanket - I still think it's beautiful the way it is (and it's not even just blue, there is so much purple and turquoise too), but green would be lovely if you want to add. I would love a red/cream/orange one too, but that's another task. Where did you get the pattern?

My study is our only spare room, and it's tiny. Can't even fit a double bed in there for guests so if there are two visitors they still end up sleeping on the living room floor on an inflatable mattress. Look forward to moving at some point in a year or so! I'm quite sad at the thought of having to pack up most of my books and papers, even if it's to make room for our much-wanted darling child... Still putting it off, I'm terrified at the thought! Time is most definitely running out.

27 + 3 today.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now