Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

MAT B1 Certificate

(13 Posts)
Mar19901 Thu 24-Mar-16 11:39:49


Don't know if I'm posting in right place but just needed some advice.

I'm a 24+4 weeks pregnant with my first child and need the MAT B1 form for two reasons firstly I need to claim back some dental charges I have paid and secondly my oh hr have asked to see it in order to authorise his paternity leave. I had been to see my midwife and she said I don't need one as I'm not a working mother and I'm not entitled to it. My friend suggested calling my gp but he has explained my midwife needs to issue it? So really unsure as to what to do?
Any advice will be appreciated

clashofclanswidow Thu 24-Mar-16 11:43:10

I'm not a working Mother but I have been given one to pass on to babies Father? I think your midwife has passed the book there - not sure what good reason she would have not to give one, strange!

Can you pop into a local midwife drop in clinic? I'd give them a call =)

Fizrim Thu 24-Mar-16 11:46:37

The form is for claiming maternity pay/benefits really. Why is your OH's company requiring it for paternity leave? What other proof would they accept, it may be worth asking.

I think the midwife is technically correct tbh.

clashofclanswidow Thu 24-Mar-16 11:56:00

Fizrim, I think the form you're referring to is a MA1/SMP1 for benefits I believe =)

MATB1's should be available to all but I wonder if your midwife has misheard you and confused the two?

Agree with you about seeing if OH H.R will accept alternate proof but I do know my babies Father works for Local Gov. and it was a requirement they saw it for some reason?

I'm sure it won't be a problem OP - just ring your midwife again and insist =)

Mar19901 Thu 24-Mar-16 11:59:03

I have just rang the midwife and explained why I needed it and that oh work want to see it but she still says I am not entitled to it? Oh will ask hr if they will accept any other proof I read on forums about sending in sc3 form which I have but yet again hr have asked to see my MAT B1 certificatesad

Mar19901 Thu 24-Mar-16 11:59:25

Thank you for all your replies thanks

clashofclanswidow Thu 24-Mar-16 12:17:41

Not teaching you how to suck eggs OP haha but she is required to give you one?! This is why I say I don't get why she is being difficult for an A5 piece of paper that takes two seconds to complete =/ haha

Have you got a team number for the midwives that you can ask to speak to someone else?

Alternatively, book a GP appt and explain to them instead. I'm sure a GP (although they said no over the phone) would quickly fill one in for you at a sit down appt for the sake of a few mins?

"Rules governing the completion of form MAT B1

Doctors or registered midwives are required to issue, free of charge, Maternity
Certificates (form MAT B1) To validate the certificate midwives must include their UKCC Personal Identification number and the expiry date of registration with UKCC (which is now the NMC Personal Identification number and the expiry date of registration with NMC)."

Fizrim Thu 24-Mar-16 12:26:30

This is a link to the guidance for the issue of MAT B1 forms for midwives, etc.

The first para states

The Maternity Certificate (MAT B1) is specifically designed for the sole purpose of enabling a pregnant woman to claim Statutory Maternity Pay (SMP) from her employer or Maternity Allowance (MA) from Jobcentre Plus.

Not very helpful for you, though! I would push the point that it is required for paternity leave (although I'm not sure if your OH's employer is permitted to demand that particular form rather than anything else as proof).

AveEldon Sun 03-Apr-16 17:44:10

For your dental charges you need a maternity exemption certificate - which your GP can do

flowerpower10 Mon 04-Apr-16 20:09:45

Yes you do need matb1
You can't get maternity pay
Or paternity pay leave with out it
All pregnant women at 21 weeks are entitled to this form be firm or go above her head to her supervisor of midwifes

dementedpixie Mon 04-Apr-16 20:15:02

His employer doesn't actually need the matb1 so shouldn't really be asking for it

dementedpixie Mon 04-Apr-16 20:16:12

They don't even need proof of the pregnancy. See here:

dementedpixie Mon 04-Apr-16 20:18:57

Maternity exemption certificate is separate from the matb1 so you don't specifically need the matb1 for dental treatment

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now