Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

August 2016 number 4 - bumps popping and scans happening, we actually have babies!

(996 Posts)
PickleBot Fri 11-Mar-16 11:39:48

Looks like we've nearly filled the last thread, so here is a nice new one for you all!

Clarab0w Fri 11-Mar-16 12:51:44

good work, pickle, thanks! love the title too. it's really happening now - eek!

bearhuggy Fri 11-Mar-16 13:12:07

Thanks pickle, can't believe we are onto another thread already!

Happy Friday to all and thank you to those who offered lovely support and advice earlier this week following my friends sad news. Her procedure was yesterday and she is now resting up at home, we will visit over the weekend.

20 weeks today and scan on Monday morning. coco thinking of you today...let us know how it all goes! tattie great news on your scan earlier this week, I am really looking forward to seeing babe again. Am feeling flutters daily now which is nice, night time it seems to be enjoying it's own little party in there! Find sleeping on my left is most comfy.

I am suffering with very sore watery eyes, not sure if this is a pregnancy thing or just down to the fact I am very tired, anyone else?!

Ladies discussing boobs, I am still wearing my lululemon yoga bra's as they are just so comfy and soft! Haven't had mine measured for ages so no idea my size, but I find I hate most bras, particularly anything scratchy or could dig in, so finding sports/yoga bras the best so far.

clara did you get your antenatal booked in? I still haven't booked for my homerton walk through thing..have you?!

Jw35 Fri 11-Mar-16 13:18:42

Wow number 4! My scan is a week on Tuesday, I'll be 21+4 by then. Feels like forever! I'm really obviously pregnant now smile 20 weeks tomorrow! I have to say time has flied with this pregnancy. Last time it seemed to take forever to get halfway!

Clarab0w Fri 11-Mar-16 13:46:29

jw we're due date buddies - me too! i've got my 20w scan on tuesday and THAT feels like ages away, so i really feel for you! it'll all be worth it when you're getting a good look at that little face, i'm sure.

bearhuggy, will just miss you on monday then - good luck! can't wait to see your pics after. i haven't done the walk-through thing, no-one's mentioned it (like everything else) - are you booking it through your MW, or NCT, or something else? thanks for the heads-up!

Mslg Fri 11-Mar-16 14:11:55

Thanks for the new thread Pickle! Good luck to anyone with scans approaching in the next few days! Mine is next Friday. Really looking forward to seeing everyone's pics and hearing if they're team pink or blue if they choose to find out. I'm keeping mine a mystery smile

I'm on antibiotics at the minute because the lab detected group step b in my wee sad means I'll have to have more antibiotics in labour which will be IV. Water birth probably out the window which I'm a little disappointed about. Can't be helped I guess

lilygirl81 Fri 11-Mar-16 14:50:31

Mslg that's a shame about your tests and water birth, but you might be clear by the time labour starts...

BergamotMouse Fri 11-Mar-16 14:53:32

Thanks for the new thread pickle. Sorry to hear about the antibiotics Mslg. Just one of those things I guess.

Looks like lots of us have scans coming up - exciting! I was 20 weeks yesterday and have my scan on Tuesday. I'm excited but nervous.

Have got the baby show tomorrow so hoping I'll find my dream pushchair and maybe some other bargains. I'm hoping for a few freebies too but that might be optimistic. My friend works in boots so she's saved me all the out of date 'Emma's diary' packs of samples. Hoping to get away without having the buy disposables and use my freebies and then go onto reusables. I'll probably be so exhausted I can't stand the thought of the extra washing though.

FourForYouGlenCoco Fri 11-Mar-16 15:00:42

Yay, new thread! Thanks Pickle.
So we are back from 20 week scan, all perfect - baby was being very stubborn but the lady did eventually get everything checked and baby is doing great. And after being so sure I was going to have a surprise...we caved at the last minute and are having a BOY! We were both so shocked, were convinced it was another girl! My intuition is truly crap. I'm glad we found out, hadn't been feeling very bonded to this baby and I think knowing he's a he will really help with that. Am so happy and relieved that he's healthy smile

bear my eyes are also very sore and watery! Skin is also really dry, coconut oil is keeping it at bay but it's bloody annoying.
mslg that sucks about the strep B sad boo! Fingers crossed for you that you can work something out - will you bring it up to your midwife when you next see her?

Jw35 Fri 11-Mar-16 15:19:56

Yay Clara! Due date is 30th July smile
GlenCo congratulations a boy! I really can't wait to find out too! I'll be happy either way smile love your scan pic!

bearhuggy Fri 11-Mar-16 15:42:44

GREAT NEWS coco !!! and hello little boy, such a cute pic. Very happy to hear all is well.

comforting to know I am not the only one with the eye issues, been really sore and scratchy past couple of days, drinking extra water to see if that helps. Glad to hear coconut oil is doing wonders, I also just treated myself to this at lunch www.nealsyardremedies.com/mother-and-baby/mother-and-baby-care/mother-care/1618.html as have just run our of my Mustela cream so wanted to try something new and wow it's soooo nice!!

good luck at the show tomorrow mouse, which one are you going to? Talking of prams, has anyone come across the Venicci range? venicci.co.uk/shop/ was recommended by a friend of a friend but would love some first hand advice. Otherwise we are back to deciding between the Cameleon and UPPAbaby Cruz...decisions, decisions! Anyone else made a purchase yet?!

clara ah what a shame we miss each other, one of these days we must cross paths! when I was given my blue folder there was a page or two in there with info on NHS antenatal sessions and also booking in to have a tour of the birthing centre....will dig it out tonight and let you know what we need to do!

mslg does having antibiotics now mean you will 100% need them during birth? hope you will be clear by then.

Lily hows work??

MrsSantaClause Fri 11-Mar-16 16:13:38

Marking my place. grin

Mslg Fri 11-Mar-16 16:13:54

GlenCo congratulations and what a beautiful scan picture 😍You must be on cloud nine.

Bear I got a letter from the midwife at the hospital today and it says that they will advise me to have IV antibiotics during labour just in case infection is passed to baby on the way out. I can refuse it but I'd rather take precautions of antibiotics if it's better for baby.

Mslg Fri 11-Mar-16 16:15:09

Oh forgot to add, apparently strep b comes and goes? So I may or may not have it at birth but I guess they're advising it anyway just in case

bearhuggy Fri 11-Mar-16 16:30:22

mslg this is a very interesting read - evidencebasedbirth.com/groupbstrep/

And water birth looks possible -

"Not necessarily. If you use the antibiotics, you will have an IV placed, but it only takes 15-30 minutes for the antibiotics to run in. The antibiotics are only given every 4 hours until birth, which for many women is only once or twice. When the IV is running, it should not limit positioning, walking, or even labouring in water"

Perhaps look into the probiotic lactobacilli alternatives...but you are right in wanting to take medical precautions.

FourForYouGlenCoco Fri 11-Mar-16 16:44:42

mslg was going to say, abx in labour doesn't necessarily preclude a water birth, and absolutely 100% you can still have an active birth. I would discuss what you want with your mw when you next see her, and if necessary you can go via the supervisor of midwives to get a good solid care plan in place that will accommodate your choices for labour.
GBS does come and go, there was a bit of a hoo-ha about it a little while back, because the NHS doesn't routinely test for it in late pregnancy, just from the original samples you give at booking in. So it could be present at 10 weeks and gone by 37 weeks. You can get tested privately during pregnancy for about £35 iirc. Hopefully you can work out a plan that keeps everyone happy!

Fizzyboo Fri 11-Mar-16 17:49:11

Ahh how lovely Glencoco! I started off thinking I am having a girl then since the 12 week scan I'm leaning way towards boy! Be interesting to see how many of us are right or wrong with our hunches!

bearhuggy Fri 11-Mar-16 18:45:21

clara just found the attached in my blue file. Session four includes a tour of the unit, this is all I really want to do so will email and see if possible. Not sure what the 'Place of Birth' session is, might be the same as the tour?! but no booking required. Will let you know what I find out !

plimsolls Fri 11-Mar-16 19:03:21

Blimey. I'm so sorry I'm not keeping up at all. I do pop in and read all the updates but then never have anything to post. I'm also sorry because by the time I get to the end, I've forgotten all the names of people who posted about specific things and then I feel rude posting without replying. Anyway, I'm here and marking my place on the new thread. Welcome to anyone who joined after me and I'm glad that everyone is still here. I hope everyone is feeling well. I'm still plodding along. I've got my 16 week ante natal GO appointment next week- does anyone know if they will listen for the baby's heartbeat then? I'd like to hear it for reassurance.

I'm going to work out how to post a bump pic. I feel like it's strangely large for 15+5 but I'm not sure if that's just because it feels strange to have a bump and that my mind is just looking for things to be worried about.

In terms of bras- my boobs inflated painfully almost immediately. I bought a two pack of quite cheap non-wired bras from m&s in a bigger size. The SA gave me a tip to buy in big cup size and to ensure that presently it fits on the smallest clasp so that it can be "let out" later on.

Anyway, hope everyone is looking forward to a good weekend.

Clarab0w Fri 11-Mar-16 19:05:14

thanks so much, bear! if you do email them, please let me know what they say! we're already signed up for NCT and hypnobirthing so not sure i can squeeze a third course in, but like you, would love to know where it's all going to happen!

LotsofDots Fri 11-Mar-16 19:17:07

Marking my place, will catch up later - the dreaded lurgy has now hit DD1 and DH, so I am the only one left standing and running about. DD2 is better, but she's no help!

Fizzyboo Fri 11-Mar-16 19:18:11

Plimsolls I know exactly what you mean, I think we all posted at once and I've forgotten names etc too! But everyone's journey is super interesting to me, so even if I forget to check in personally, keep posting as I'm loving the stories!
Also yes, my MW asked me if I wanted her to listen for the babes heartbeat at 16wk appointment, she told me beforehand she might not be able to find it, in which case don't worry, sometimes the placenta is in the way, but as soon as she put it on me we heard it loud and clear!
My bump is still hiding! Everyone is amazed I'm 18+6 and not showing (well I normally have a bit of a tummy being 2st overweight) but I've lost 10lb since my booking just eating the good stuff. Have a feeling it'll grow overnight one night!!

Sophia1984 Fri 11-Mar-16 19:49:50

Glad we have a new thread - my bump is definitely not teeny-tiny any more!

Such a cute little nose he's got GlenCoco! My intuition has been that mine is a little girl, but will find out on Wednesday deep breath I really, really hate hospital waiting rooms (though as DP says 'who LIKES hospitals?!')

Bra-wise, I got a maternity sleep one from Jojo Maman Bebe today and it's super comfy for wearing around the house.

Have been very hormonal and emotional today over something so stupid and little! ASOS have cocked up the order of the dress I wanted for friend's wedding and it is now sitting at my old address, despite me telling them my new address on Wednesday. Many, many frustrating conversations on Facebook and Twitter as they don't even have a customer service line! Am having to go to old house tomorrow and hope someone is in. Think it is linked in to me feeling a bit weird and emotional about how my body is changing and really nervous about scan next week.

Is anyone else having trouble with their appetite? I really don't feel like eating anything. Also feeling really weak and having headaches. Not loving the 19 week stage TBH!

Jw35 Fri 11-Mar-16 19:54:59

I've been reading up on the nub theory and apparently it's not all pie in the sky! A trained sonographer would be able to tell. Basically, if the nub is pointing up higher than a 30 degree angle its a boy and lower than 30 degrees is a girl.

Another more myth based predictor is the Chinese skull theory. Apparently a girl has a flatter forehead and pointy chin and a boy has a more rounded forehead.

Here's my 12 week scan pic, what do you think? I'm thinking girl! Another 11 days until I can find out for sure.

bexh83 Fri 11-Mar-16 20:58:53

Hi, is it ok if I join? late I know but hello from west yorkshire from a very happy to be pregnant lady.

Due 13th August with my first. First person noticed today without being told so ive definatley "popped" and its all feeling very real, so was looking around for people on the same timeline going through these things.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now