Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

How can I tell if I'm starting to miscarry?

(31 Posts)
MaybeBabyOct2015 Mon 02-Nov-15 17:54:55

I shall be 6 weeks tomorrow and I've had quite a rocky couple of weeks with severe stomach pains. Went to docs today for a follow up and as the pain has eased a bit the response seemed positive (the pain had been much less severe and less frequent and I'd had no bleeding) but they are going to try and get an early scan to put my mind at ease.

However, I've just gone to the loo and there was a pink tinge to the toilet paper (sorry if tmi). I'm now really scared. I've heard that you can have some spotting in the early days and everything be ok, but the thought of having and bleeding really scares me. sad

Does anyone have any advice please?

DearTeddyRobinson Mon 02-Nov-15 17:58:26

You can get an early scan at the early pregnancy unit - are you close to a hospital with a maternity department?

MaybeBabyOct2015 Mon 02-Nov-15 18:29:41

The docs are calling the EPU in the morning (they are closed now) to try and get an appointment in next couple of days. So worried in the meantime though sad

redstrawberries101 Tue 17-Nov-15 18:47:02

Hi

I hope everything was OK? I am 5 weeks 2 days today and my preg symptoms which started even before AF was due, seemed to pretty much disappear since Sunday night. Today I've had some brown discharge and then red blood when wiping. Sorry for tmi. I'm really worried. I phoned the doc who told me to phone the Hosp and they said to phone back in 48 hours if bleeding carries on. Because I am so early, I don't think they will be willing to scan yet. It's such a waiting game sad

FindingNormal Tue 17-Nov-15 19:12:09

Hi

I bled on and of for the first 9 weeks of pregnancy and my baby was ok. Horrible worrying time though so I empathise. The epu should be able to scan you but in the early days it doesn't tell you much. At my scan at 6 weeks I was told it was a pregnancy of 'unknown location'-basically bubs was too tiny and they couldn't tell what was going on. Blood tests showed my hcg was rising though which was a good sign. It's so hard but try to stay positive. Big hugs.

MaybeBabyOct2015 Tue 17-Nov-15 20:57:21

Hey guys,

Thankfully all was well with scan. They managed to see baby and the little flicker of its heart beat! Thankfully settled where it should be. It is all so nerve wracking though, I've had a couple more episodes of spotting but I'm keeping my fingers crossed. Morning sickness has stepped up a gear this week so I'm thinking of that as a good sign. I have my booking in appointment this Thursday so hopefully being able to speak to a midwife will help the stress levels a bit.

Melvali, it is really tough (hugs) I'm afraid to say they are unlikely to scan as early as you are as they would only do mine once I had ticked over into 6weeks. Try not to worry yourself too much, not sure if it works but my mum told me to lay down with my feet raised when I had spotting. If you are really concerned maybe phone 111 and try and get an appointment with an out of hours dr? Seems unfair to leave you stressing on your own for 2 days. Fingers crossed for you!

Finding, thank you. That's reassuring I have been a bit worried that the spotting has continued on and off. Not had any blood tests for hcg but presume they will do that as part of the booking in appointment?

No one warns you how stressful these early months are do they. sad it's really challenging as well keeping it from people when you feel so ill and distracted all the time!

Havetobecrazytolivehere Tue 17-Nov-15 22:05:52

Hi Melvali, I don't know if you remember me from the ttc thread but I am having similar problems. I think I am 5-6 wks now but have been bleeding since Sunday. Don't think it is mc as not painful and more like a light period but all my symptoms are gone too. Trying not to worry, I am going to retest once the bleeding has stopped. Hang in there and try not to stress yourself out. Sending hugs, just wanted you to know you are not alone.

redstrawberries101 Tue 17-Nov-15 22:08:18

Thanks have to be crazy I do remember you from the other thread

Keep me Posted and I will too

Maybebaby- glad your scan went well! Congrats. Thanks for your kind words too xx

Fridgedooropen Tue 17-Nov-15 22:15:03

Melvali not sure if you want to do this but I miscarried at 5.1 recently and basically found it by taking more pregnancy tests and getting a BFN. Don't know if that's better or worse than a clinic telling you, but you could try one if you have one spare in the house. But bleeding actually seems pretty common even when a pregnancy continues, and I had no symptoms in my first pregnancy anyway, so crossing my fingers for you and Havetobecrazy for you too.

redstrawberries101 Wed 18-Nov-15 16:44:49

Thank you for sharing. Appreciate that. I might just take a test tonight xx

redstrawberries101 Wed 18-Nov-15 16:44:57

Have to be crazy, how are you today?

Havetobecrazytolivehere Wed 18-Nov-15 20:35:03

Hi Melvali, the bleeding is starting to tail off now. Feel a bit in limbo, I had implantation bleeding with my last pregnancy and it was more than that but less than a normal period if that makes sense. Hoping it is gone tomorrow so I can test over the weekend, am hoping I am still pregnant but had no idea how far along I was anyway. How about you? Are you still bleeding?

Have still been feeling really tired and have an awful headache today but no other symptoms. Have you done a test yet?

redstrawberries101 Wed 18-Nov-15 20:53:10

Hi!

We had unexpected guests so I haven't tested. I don't think I've passed enough blood for a miscarriage to have already happened, my fear is that it had started if that makes sense. Now I'm thinking there is no point testing.

I went to the EPU today and they took some bloods. Expecting the results in the morning. The nurse was lovely but didn't sound too hopeful. In a way I preferred her being honest. I'm feeling quite positive this evening even though my gut feeling is that it's not good news. But even if it isn't, there is nothing I can do now except hold on for the ride.

The nurse said it's too early to scan (I'm about 5 weeks 3 days) but they will see what the results show and if in the normal range then I will have further bloods on Friday and Sunday and the comparison should identify whether the pregnancy is progressing as it should.

Big hugs. You seem a lot more brave than me! X

redstrawberries101 Thu 19-Nov-15 14:16:39

Have to be crazy, how are you? Any more bleeding?

Havetobecrazytolivehere Thu 19-Nov-15 19:53:26

Hi Melvali, the bleeding has stopped now and I did a Frer test this afternoon which was still positive. I know it could take a few days to show bfn if it was an mc so going to test again Monday with a clear blue digi. Last digi test was nearly 10 days ago so if I get a 3+ will presume all is okay. Don't really want to call dr as they wouldn't book me for a scan with my last pg until I had missed a period and at the scan I was 16 wks! Are you any closer to an answer and are you still bleeding?
Believe me I am not brave but have been through this waiting game before and know I can't change anything. Hugs x

redstrawberries101 Thu 19-Nov-15 20:43:15

Wow 16 weeks!

I spoke to the EPU who said my blood levels are where they should be (approx 15000) for 5-6 weeks. They have booked me in for a scan tomorrow now. The nurse said that it would be an abdominal scan but I'm wondering what exactly they will be able to see on there. All the threads I have read etc have said they do an internal scan at this stage. I'm really glad it was still showing positive for you. I would still phone the doctors and get the pregnancy recorded??

MaybeBabyOct2015 Thu 19-Nov-15 20:48:35

Melvali, just a quick note. When I had my scan at 6 weeks they tried abdominal first but couldn't see anything so did internal, at which point they could see baby. It may well vary from person to person. If they do do an internal it's not too bad. Certainly a lot less painful than a smear test. It is a bit uncomfortable as they are moving the scanner around to look at everything but not painful. Fingers crossed for good news smile

redstrawberries101 Thu 19-Nov-15 20:58:39

Thank you for letting me know! Appreciate it. Just have to get through the night now. I'm so stressed just had a tiff with DH and spoilt our evening. He is ok but a bit distant now. I just took my frustration out at him.

redstrawberries101 Fri 20-Nov-15 12:58:42

went for the scan and thankfully they could see the gestational sac and the yok sac inside it. No heartbeat but she said at 5-6 weeks this is normal.

They were pleased that the pregnancy is in the right place and blood results the other day were in line too so they have discharged me from the EPU unit. Any further problems and I've to phone back.

Such a relief but I don't know if I'll manage to relax at all as its still a long road...

MaybeBabyOct2015 Sat 21-Nov-15 22:13:34

Melvali, really pleased to hear that they were able to see everything and that it is in the right place. Fingers crossed all continues to progress nicely. It is pretty much impossible to relax entirely unfortunately, but I think you just need to try and think as positively as possible and look after yourself. I had a bit more spotty last night which has caused yet more stress but thankfully it was very brief.

Maybe this is just preparing us for the stress of being parents!? X

redstrawberries101 Sun 22-Nov-15 08:36:48

Yes perhaps! This isn't your first is it? I had a tiny bit spotting yesterday after two days of nothing. Nothing since.

I was speaking to my auntie yesterday (my mums sister who I have been very close to) and she just said to keep an open mind, she really put things in perspective because she mentioned my relative who was 7months and her baby died and she had to deliver it, also my cousin who delivered at 24 weeks and her baby is now 3 and absolutely fine! She said it does even beyond that, every day is a gift really with our parents partners children. There is only so much we can do.

redstrawberries101 Sun 22-Nov-15 22:04:38

Unfortunately I've passed black , jelly like tiny clots. Upon wiping but also saw it in the toilet sad will phone EPU in the morning X

Havetobecrazytolivehere Mon 23-Nov-15 14:02:31

Oh Mel, I'm so sorry. I wAs hoping everything was starting to settle down for you. I tested again and still got a positive but have now had some blood streaked mucus when I wiped so back to worrying. Have the EPU been able to give you another scan?

redstrawberries101 Mon 23-Nov-15 15:19:05

No they said they won't scan until at least a week has passed from the last scan. That was on Friday so quite a few days to wait! She said to just monitor it but doesn't sound worrying since it was old blood.

Sorry to hear that you are going through a similar thing. I think all we can do is take it one day at a time. X

MaybeBabyOct2015 Sat 28-Nov-15 19:03:13

Gosh it's all so stressful isn't it! This is my first so completely clueless about everything really. I had a bit of brown discharge last Monday then bright red blood. There wasn't loads but it was enough to freak me out. It had calmed by the morning, but then had more red Tuesday afternoon. Couldn't get hold of EPU but spoke to GP who arranged for me to go in for scan at 9am! Thankfully scan showed all was ok (baby has grown and they could see heartbeat). They couldn't give a reason for the bleeding which is frustrating. Feel like it would help if I knew why. sad

Had a little blood and some brown afterwards but trying not to stress too much as still very much have symptoms. It does very much feel like you have to take it one day at a time. I'm almost trying not to think about it too much, just in case :s

Fingers crossed Melvali that all is well and Friday comes around quickly for you. It's so horrible all this waiting. sad

Havetobe, keeping fingers crossed for you too. Hopefully if it's just a bit of blood stained mucus it should be ok. My sister inlaw said she had spotting and was told that as long as you aren't filling a pad it should generally be ok. Definitely doesn't stop it being scary and stressful though. Can you have another scan? X

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now