Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Beckenham/Bromley/penge ladies gather round....

(12 Posts)
waxweasel Mon 27-Jul-15 19:19:47

Just that really smile we just moved to Beckenham a month ago, and I've just found out I'm pg with DC2. Already have a DD aged 2. We literally know nobody round here, so I have no idea where to start with choosing a hospital, finding good antenatal classes etc...it'd be lovely to hear from other mums locally. I'm finding it so much harder to meet people with a toddler than it was with a baby when everyone is off on mat leave!

hurryupandgetout Mon 27-Jul-15 23:15:09

Welcome to the sunny south east! I'm in Sidcup but lived in Beckenham previously, you'll have a whale of a time. There are a few mums groups on facebook you can join that have loads of events listed. And regarding hospitals I can thoroughly recommend lewisham. It has a bit of a bad name but the reputation is outdated. its been refurbished and has a lovely birth centre, plus dad's can stay overnight on the labour wards. Good luck with the 2nd pregnancy!

waxweasel Tue 28-Jul-15 06:47:37

Hey! Did you give birth recently in Lewisham? I only ask as I had DD in June 2013, and it was a dreadful experience...but I have heard that a new head midwife came in more recently and that it's improved. It would be great if that were the case - I'm so traumatised by my experience there I struggle even driving past it!

waxweasel Tue 28-Jul-15 06:48:08

I had DD there, that should be smile

Cineraria Tue 28-Jul-15 13:55:00

Hi waxweasel! I'm in Beckenham too although only for a couple of years, so I'm not an expert yet.

My son's due at the end of September. The thing I found really confusing here was the way the care is divided, so early appointments (booking etc) are at the Beckenham Beacon Antenatal Clinic, Later midwife appointments 28 weeks onward are with the GP, scans are at Kings in Denmark Hill and the birth takes place at the PRUH in Farnborough (Orpington area). This gets explained as you go along, rather than right at the start, which makes it more confusing still but after working out where I needed to be for each appointment my experience has been very good at all of them.

Having spent a week in the labour ward at the PRUH last year due to complications around an unsuccessful pregnancy, I have to say I felt very well looked after overall and the staff there were all very considerate and caring.

Do you have a GP yet? If not, I can recommend either of the GP's surgeries at the hospital.

I've just started attending the NCT antenatal classes in Beckenham and they seem good so far. I have and NHS one at the Antenatal Clinic in the Beckenham Beacon this Saturday too. The PRUH also does an early pregnancy evening where you can meet the midwives and also lots of local service providers, e.g. Bromley council's car seat safety team, prenatal yoga and hypnobirthing teachers etc. I think it's at 7 on the first Tuesday in each month.

You probably have most things you need from your older son but if you're looking for car seats, pram/pushchair etc. Baby Baby in West Wickham is a great independent local store with very helpful and friendly staff. We went there for our car seat and base and they gave a discount for payment in full over a certain amount too which meant it was also cheaper than buying from one of the big chains. Their clothes look lovely too; I haven't dared look at them too much as I think I'd end up buying too much!

waxweasel Tue 28-Jul-15 16:55:25

Hi Cineraria, thanks for the advice! I am registered with one of the gps at the Beckenham Beacon and am off to see them next week about this pregnancy, so it's useful to know the midwives are all in the same place. I'd never have figured out the process of moving around all those different places so thanks for explaining it.

Good tip on the baby shop too - I'll definitely pay a visit. We do have all the main equipment already thankfully, but I'm excited about stocking up on new baby clothes smile it sounds great!

Good luck for the rest of your pregnancy - hope it goes smoothly! September is a lovely time of year to have a new baby x

WonkyDonkBonk Sat 01-Aug-15 09:44:08

Hi, I'm in Bromley. We have been here just over 2 years. Dc2 is due at the end of December. I am registered at the PRUH but I think I'm going to try for a home birth.

I am toying with the idea of doing NCT just to make some friends but it is rather pricey. I didn't think of facebook groups.

WonkyDonkBonk Sat 01-Aug-15 09:45:14

When are you due Wax?

waxweasel Mon 03-Aug-15 08:38:55

Hey! I'm due in April, how about you? I'm considering a home birth too. This is DC2 for me so I'm reluctant to do NCT as I've already done it once, and don't really need the info side of it all...tbh I found I made my best friends through things like antenatal pilates, and they were more useful classes anyway. Maybe you could find something like that?

waxweasel Mon 03-Aug-15 08:39:33

Oh just saw yours is due end of Dec!

nici77 Mon 17-Aug-15 16:18:56

Hi Waxweasel
I also live in Beckenham and have just found out Im pregnant again and due in April next year. I have a son who will be 2 and a half next month
I have been living in Beckenham for the last 3 years and it is lovely. The staff at Elm House Surgery in Beckenham Beacon are amazing and really friendly (compared to other GPs ive had in the past). It is also really handy having the midwives there in the centre too and after the first scan you can have all your other scans done there too.
PRU is also a really lovely hospital. They have the birthing Centre there which unfortunately I didnt get to use as had to be induced but I was there for just over a week and apart from one or two of the night staff they were all brilliant and even had my own room which was lovely.
Beckenham Spa also does fab pregnancy exercise classes from memory on Mondays and Thursdays and on sat mornings theres a pregnancy yoga class too.
Hope your settling in OK, if you need advice feel free to ping me xx

user1483448956 Tue 03-Jan-17 14:34:23

Hi,

i am 5 months pregnant living in Shirley on the border of Bromley and Croydon (closer to Beckenham).

Does anyone know where i can go for NCT classes in this area? I can only find ones in Croydon but Beckenham is closer for me.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

thank you smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now