Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

August 2015 part 3

(1000 Posts)
Dozygirl Sun 15-Mar-15 11:16:01

New thread for all due in August 2015

Dozygirl Sun 15-Mar-15 11:32:19

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/t3lw6yecLIl_JgP9BBEDu7A/htmlview?pli=1

Stats list. Hope that works

Augustwedding Sun 15-Mar-15 12:39:44

Thanks for new thread!

Fanby Sun 15-Mar-15 13:49:10

Oooh this is exciting, 3rd page, thanks Dozy!!

Happy mother's day to all, whether it be for bumps, children or our own mothers, or mums that are no longer with us xx

Strong names August, I really like all of them! We're more decided on boys names and like to argue over girl options smile

Welcome Annike82! Glad to hear you're having a lovely pregnancy. We've signed up for NCT. I'm in Lambeth and it's just over £280. How did you manage to find out how many couples there are on your course?

Birchwoods Big fan of Scandi style, Ikea is totally one of my 'happy' places :D, I know it's not to everyones tastes but i don't think you can go wrong with a bit of ikea! I like the Hensvik cot they do, but the ones with drawers could be really practical with our limited space.
Those Brighton ones come in lovely colours, I hadn't seen those (thank you for sharing!!), so much choice!! Your nursery scheme sounds lovely and very peaceful!
I spent ages looking at lamp shades the other day and it wasn't until I measured the room that I noticed we have spotlights in that room, WHAT AN IDIOT!
How was the birth workshop?

xx

mzzzf Sun 15-Mar-15 15:13:15

Afternoon ladies. Hope you're all still going strong and Happy Mothers Day too!

We had our 20w scan on Friday and thankfully all is well, having a nice and interested sonographer really makes a difference. I'm feeling more connected to the bump now it looks less alien and I can feel movement more frequently. Plus, DH thankfully had time off work yo be able to come and he was in awe. Also since we found out the bean is laying transverse it explains why I have no actual bump, just a rapidly disappearing waist!

Now though the shopping and lists start in earnest, I love the clean white/cream furniture too but since we're due to move house 2 weeks post birth I'm going to have to keep things to a minimum I think...

Is anyone else NOT going to do antenatal classes?

annike82 Sun 15-Mar-15 17:14:14

Happy Mum to be day to everyone!!

Fanby My NCT administrator told me. Maybe ask, they might be able to say? But I am finding now alternative lessons as well...I still not 100% sure as I think I want to know more about how to look after the baby etc, rather than focus too many sessions on breastfeeding, pain relief, birth etc. Breastfeeding will be covered by NHS anyway and I am planning to go to the NHS antenatal class as wel. I found also some independent teachers and also a yoga teacher near finsbury / holloway who does 1.5 yoga and then 30 chats about various subjects. Need to find out the prices though.

I am quite into Scandi look as well, I am thinking of buying a white cot, as our small room is tiny. Can't wait to create my Pinterest baby board as well, but once I tell at work, I can start to be more public about my news. I just started my job in Dec and I am maternity leave cover, but passed now my trial period, so as soon as the bump starts to show too much, I will tell them.

Are you planning to buy cribs and moses baskets as well? And so many buggy and travel options!! So many things to consider and to buy. But it's very exciting as well.

Joskar Sun 15-Mar-15 21:08:55

I'm not going to antenatal classes. There isn't nct here and the NHS offer two classes and a feeding class. The two classes aren't very useful last time. It was just a chance to meet other mums but not really long enough to "bond" so not worth it. We spoke about nappies, birth plans, pain relief, what happens in a birth timeline. Nothing you won't have already read about before you go.

The feeding class was good in that we discussed different feeding options and things like tongue tie and it was a chance to see the infant feeding mw. As it turned out she was worse than useless when I ran into some serious feeding problems after my dd was born but good to know there was one. There was a knitted boob too. Any breast feeding support you can access take it IMO although YouTube was actually the best support I had. For formula feeding it tells you on the packet so it's not such an issue.

Friends who have gone to nct have really enjoyed it and are still friends with the people they met there. Some 20 years later. If we had nct I'd have done it.

Frolicacid Sun 15-Mar-15 21:44:10

Just marking my place.

I've not been on much this week. I'm feeling loads better so have been busy catching up with work and friends that I've been neglecting.

I love those mokkee cots as well. We really like their wool nest also. I'm not a fan of frilly Moses baskets. But I worry that the wool nest might be too hot if August and September end up being scorchers.

There are so many options out there annike. I often start looking and then give up because I'm overwhelmed. And every time I talk about it with any of my friends, they all seem to have different opinions on what you do and don't need. I'm assuming that as long as it has clothes, nappies, food and a bed the baby will be fine. But there is so much other stuff to chose from!

I hope everyone had a nice weekend. Happy mothers day to you all flowers

I'm sorry about your bereavement fanby. Take good care of yourself.

happygojo Mon 16-Mar-15 06:45:36

Hi all, just marking my place. 19 weeks today and only 1 week til my scan. Feeling generally ok but I am a bit achey from sleeping on my left confused my shoulders and my hip. Ah well almost half way there

Equimum Mon 16-Mar-15 07:09:55

How exciting that 20 weeks scans are already coming round! Congratulations mzzf. Great news that yours was all good. Ours is on 1st April, so starting to feel a bit apprehensive now.

I'm loving all this Scandi nursery stuff. Our baby will eventually share with our little boy. His room is sort of woodland themed, with tree decals, a fox duvet cover and owl curtains.

I quite liked the idea of getting a Moses basket this time round, but DH says it's a waste of money, and he probably has a point. With DS, we bought a carry cot that was suitable for overnight sleep, so he just slept in that until we transferred him into his cot. TBH, he hated the confined space, so it was only a few weeks.

pinkie87 Mon 16-Mar-15 08:31:02

Fanby I am not in maternity clothes as yet, but I think I will be buying some this coming weekend! I also have the same problem, cot is 5cm too long for the space I wanted to put it in the baby's room. Will need to do some careful planning.

I am going to NCT classes, although not sure they are as worth it as I first thought, hearing other people's opinions. But I think it depends on the teacher, and whether you have "stuck up" parents in your group. They are costing us £170 as we are in Sussex.

Scan day today! I will of course let you know, I'm so excited! grin

OMC1 Mon 16-Mar-15 08:50:14

August What a lovely name smile

annike82 Hi there! Really good to hear your pregnancy is going well! I haven't decided about the classes yet, it really is so overwhelming isn't it?!

happygojo How exciting - 20 week scan coming soon! Mine is in a couple of weeks and I can't wait!

Happy Scan Day pinkie !!!

I hope everyone had a nice Mother's Day - my DH & I didn't do anything as I don't think I've earned it yet (just my personal opinion) but it was nice to have a phone call from the MIL to wish me a happy day!

Augustwedding Mon 16-Mar-15 09:02:06

Off sick today sad just knackered!

FirstTimeSprog Mon 16-Mar-15 10:59:10

Morning All,

This is the first time I have been on this thread, really pleased to see everybody! I am due August 21st and fall into team pink!

I also have my 20 week scan on the 1st April, so @Equuimum I am the same as you ( I have no idea how to do the direct message in bold, so any pointers would be gratefully received!)

Thrilled to see other people all thinking seriously about the nursery. I feel extremely behind on my organisation but hoping that it's quite natural to feel like that.

I had a bit of a funny turn last night where i went really faint and nauseous- as if i couldn't move my arms and legs as they were so heavy. I went straight to bed and have woken up ok. Has anyone else had a similar instant?

Looking forward to joining the chats here on in!

xxx

pinkie87 Mon 16-Mar-15 12:26:47

My immune system must be shot. I had a rotten cold two weeks ago and this past weekend have some other horrid virus where I ache like mad and my glands are up and I generally feel awful. Very difficult when I am usually such a big fan of over the counter remedies to have to rely solely on paracetamol! I will stop moaning now I promise!

birchwoods Mon 16-Mar-15 13:10:29

Dozy thanks for the new thread!

Fanby I'm a big fan of Ikea too, it's so adaptable! I really like the grey Gonatt cot but annoyingly none of them convert to a cot bed, which is what we would like really. I agree about the drawers though, definitely a must! I really like this cot from Mothercare (it's my DHs favourite as well) and think it would go really well in a Scandi-styled room but it's out of stock everywhere and doesn't have drawers. www.mothercare.com/Mothercare-Lulworth-Cot-Bed/629365,default,pd.html I saw that you can actually buy an undercot drawer separately for about £30 or £40 though so that might be an option.

The pregnancy workshop was good, thank you. The first half was by a local ante- and post-natal fitness instructor and she talked about how pregnancy affects your body, posture etc... and the importance or certain exercises to stretch and strengthen certain bits, and pelvic floor exercises (not so enjoyable for DH!). The second half was about hypnobirthing, which totally makes sense to me and is definitely something I'm going to look into. They showed us a video of a woman 'breathing' out her baby rather than pushing and it was so calm, took 15 mins and the baby was so relaxed when he was born he didn't even cry! I take it all with a pinch of salt but I do think it is more how we were 'designed' to give birth (ie. letting your body take over and do everything).

Annike we are going to do NCT classes, I think it's £170 here (Malvern, Worcs). I'll do the NHS classes too I think.

Frolic glad you are feeling lots better, long may it continue!

Firsttime welcome and congrats! I hope your pregnancy is going smoothly. It's lovely that we're all on the countdown to our 20 wk scans now.

August sorry you're feeling crappy and hope you can get some rest today.

I've got my 20 wk scan on Friday and I'm getting more and more anxious. I don't think I've felt any movement yet (19+2), which worries me, although I know that some don't feel anything until a couple of weeks further along. I'm just so worried that something will be wrong, mainly because my mum lost a baby when she was about 5 or 6 months pregnant, they don't know why, so it's on my mind a lot as I can't imagine anything worse.

Ooh, sorry for the long post!!!

rascalrae Mon 16-Mar-15 13:38:03

Hi all, finally decided to mark my place after lurking for a few weeks. I've had a bit of a difficult journey getting to this stage so was worried about getting too involved in discussions, but we got to hear baby's heartbeat on Friday at MW appt so starting to relax a bit. I'm due 21 Aug , will be our first.

Been doing lots of research on things to buy and classes to join so I'm finding myself on MN a lot! Got myself in a panic the other night about how I'd manage to get a buggy down the steps outside my house! Lots of little challenges, particularly as I have some health issues, but I guess people cope with all kinds of situations. The good thing is that there's lots of advice available. Things in particular I didn't know existed - sling libraries and renting cots and other bits from NCT. And I'm learning lots about the various toiletries I'm going to need to buy to cope post labour. I'm going to buy a new notebook to start making lists!

pinkie87 Mon 16-Mar-15 15:05:19

Welcome rascal and congratulations!

I'm having the same thoughts about the steps outside my house, but I figure I'll just have to work out a way around it! smile Sling libraries were also a revelation to me. MN has been so helpful (although also made me paranoid as hell at times! blush)

pinkie87 Mon 16-Mar-15 15:08:24

birchwoods It may not be of any use to you but they have the lulworth cot bed on ebay from a seller called nurserysavings. I know because I am after the mothercare harrogate changing unit but refuse to pay £400! They do lots of discount stuff and it is categorised according to whether it has any mild damage like scuffs etc. Worth checking out I'd say!

birchwoods Mon 16-Mar-15 15:40:12

Thanks Pinkie will definitely have a look at that! I called Mothercare to ask if I could buy their display model but they said no as there's already a waiting list for the Lulworth, but it'll be back in stock soon. I might try to find something that ticks all the boxes (ie has a draw) for less money though.

PerpetualSummer Mon 16-Mar-15 20:11:42

Thanks for the new thread dozygirl.

Hope everyone is well.

I think I will end up doing an antenatal class but maybe not NCT as was hoping to do a one day class or a shorter one and all the NCT seem to be 2.5 days over 3 weekends.

Annike82 - do you have more details on that yoga teacher. I want to get back into yoga and pilates. Was meant to after getting through the first 12 weeks and now here I am at Week 19 having not got back into it.

Dozygirl Mon 16-Mar-15 20:30:50

firsttime sounds like your blood pressure may have been low of u felt faint. Hope you're OK now.

I got 2 mother to be card's for mothers day. One from dp and mil. Made me cry a little.

I still feel overwhelmed by all the things I need buy! Thought decorated the baby room was just a simple paint job but seem to be finding lots of things that need fixing so might not be able to start decorating early like I intended. I reckon I'm gonna get to 38 weeks and start panicking that I'm not prepared.

Except my pram, I have that lol.

Will do local NHS antenatal classes as it's my first but not paying out for nct ones. Seem quite pricey to me.

I try to support breastfeeding mum's at work but if the baby doesn't do what it's supposed to do then I get stuck after tha . It's not easy to help people especially when you've not done it yourself. Id really like to try it myself though. I think it just takes a lot of determination.

Dozygirl Mon 16-Mar-15 20:32:03

Mzzf did u say you're moving house after baby comes?? What if it's late or you're unwell!

pinkie87 Mon 16-Mar-15 20:54:49

I'm now officially a member of team blue!

mzzzf Mon 16-Mar-15 21:00:48

Dozy yep that's right! Timing isn't great at all. I'm high risk and under consultant care so I've already been told I won't go over but moving from the M4 corridor to Scotland with a newborn will be fun grin

I don't want to do the nhs ones as it covers pain relief (I've seen more epidurals then I can count!) post labour recovery and birthing at the normal MW unit (where I won't be) so it all seems a bit duff, especially as DH can't make the sessions due to work. If we weren't moving I would do the nct ones mostly for the making 'baby friends' thing but since I'm moving that's a bit pointless isn't it? I will be on mumsnet a lot!!

Am I right in thinking the FB group is really busy? As this thread is dead quiet sometimes... I know it sounds a bit nutty but I'm really private on FB so that group on their wouldn't be right for me.

Has anyone got a pram/buggy yet?! I think I've made my mind up but then I see something and start all over!!

This thread is not accepting new messages.