Talk

Advanced search

Pregnant? See how your baby develops, your body changes, and what you can expect during each week of your pregnancy with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

June 2015 - thread 7 - finding out our teams!! Pink/Blue/Yellow which are you?

(1000 Posts)
jazzyjenbo Fri 09-Jan-15 17:25:36

For ladies expecting very late Maybees or Junebugs 2015

jazzyjenbo Fri 09-Jan-15 17:28:55

LINK TO THE STATS
EDITED AND MAINTAINED BY JAZZYJENBO
PLEASE CONTACT ME IF YOU WANT ANYTHING ADDING

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/187-SzT22h7P7Foe5S0_Ba3TwU-HnDohALFohx9_AoFI/edit?pli=1#gid=0

Chookford Fri 09-Jan-15 17:46:13

Thanks jazzy marking place!

WrappedInABlankie Fri 09-Jan-15 18:11:35

Place marking (:

Jackiebrambles Fri 09-Jan-15 18:19:09

Thanks Jazzy! X

Bazza2 Fri 09-Jan-15 18:19:11

Place marking too.

iwantkhaleesiseyebrows Fri 09-Jan-15 18:58:59

Hello- place marking too

SpodoKomodo Fri 09-Jan-15 19:13:52

Oooh shiny new thread! And thanks for the Fb group add jen

Phryn Fri 09-Jan-15 20:02:33

Can I make what might be a terrible confession? blush Whilst I'm very happy to celebrate being on team pink or blue or yellow with anyone who wants to use those terms for me it's going to be team boy or team girl. I was a tree climbing, red and purple loving girl who enjoyed a swirley dress with the best of them. My husband loved playing on the monkey bars, baking, running and had a toy doll (I love my MIL). I know team pink/blue does not necessarily denote the immensely gendered landscape of childhood that we seem to have these days. I also know that excitedly announcing "team pink" does not mean that you plan to dress your girl only in pink, and raise them to be passive daughters suitable for the kitchen and child rearing only. But the terms and colours to me feel like a nod to a way of viewing boys and girls, and men and women in a way that limits rather than encourages. As much as possible I want the little one growing inside me to not feel constrained by "pink/girl" or "blue/boy" expectations.

I really hope I haven't offended anyone and thanks to Jazzy for the new thread and all your amazing work with the stats list. As I said if the phrases team pink/blue floats your boat then I'll celebrate with you all the way. But perhaps as an over-thinking language obsessed psychologist with an interest in overly gendered childhood it's just not the labels I'll be using smile.

Please don't flame me wink

AnythingNotEverything Fri 09-Jan-15 20:11:06

Ha Jazzy - I think I heard a klaxon when I read that stats post grin

Phryn no flaming from me. The colours are an easy shorthand but I really don't do pink. Each to their own, but it's just not my bag.

pasbeaucoupdegendarme Fri 09-Jan-15 20:31:57

I'm right with you there Phryn wink. I have got used to it as "shorthand" but it grates a bit. We have a dark purple car seat which various people said to me they'd have liked if they'd known what they were having - they didn't understand when I said we hadn't known either and I was convinced dd was a boy! I just thought the purple was nice grin

News out at school which left me with such a good anecdote that I had to put on fb, so I feel like I've done "the big fb announcement" now. A boy in my class asked me this morning if I'd heard I was having a baby gringringrin

Hoping I haven't jinxed it though.... Very very achy and sore tonight hmm I think it's just stretching but I'm hurting quite a lot and could do with putting my feet up more than I'm able to hmm. Hoping a good sleep will sort me out.

pasbeaucoupdegendarme Fri 09-Jan-15 20:39:23

PS I say all that stuff about pink/yellow/blue whilst simultaneously raising this planet's most girly girl hmm smile

cuphat Fri 09-Jan-15 20:42:04

I'm with you too. I'm struggling to find boys clothes I like because it is mostly "blue for boys" which I hate. Blue used to be seen as the feminine colour! DD has a deep purple pram/pushchair which I chose because I liked it and if I didn't need a double I would have kept the same colour (you can change the colour) for this baby; I've had comments saying I won't be able to have a purple pushchair now. hmm I just buy what I like; very young children don't have a preference.

speedbird17 Fri 09-Jan-15 20:43:55

Hi, hope nobody minds me popping in here?! Was at the back of the May bus and felt like I was lagging behind (and utterly convinced this one will be a June baby). Was on the May and the inbetween threads but the inbetween one died a death so thought I'd hop over here if nobody minds?

Expecting DC2 25th May, and it's a boy!

rolypolybird84 Fri 09-Jan-15 20:47:30

Phryn I am really glad that you mentioned this - I think you have articulated this in a way that I never could.

I wholeheartedly agree with you. My baby is not "a pink one" or "a blue one" it is a baby boy or a baby girl.

I do think the pink/blue divide can seem fairly innocuous but is possibly loaded with assumptions and expectations about gender which children internalise and it can prove limiting in the long run.

Anyway...that's my best thinking on the matter after a loooong week ��

jazzy thank you so much for maintaining the spreadie...my 20 week scan is 5th Feb so I'm patiently at the back of this bus...

Hope all feeling happy and healthy this evening

X

AnythingNotEverything Fri 09-Jan-15 20:55:13

WelcomeSpeed! There's a few here with end of May due dates I think. I'm not due until 23rd June so I understand how you feel!

DD has a red pram, a blue bedroom, a black car seat ... I'm not sure I've ever bought her anything pink. I'm sure she'll go through a pink princess stage at some point, but I refuse to ever let her choices be limited to things that come in pink. The "Let Toys Be Toys" and upcoming "Let Clothes Be Clothes" campaigns are very interesting.

All that said, it's just shorthand ... No harm is intended.

ots Fri 09-Jan-15 20:58:26

Just checking in. Thanks for the new thread Jazzy and again for the stats smile

Chookford Fri 09-Jan-15 21:30:25

speed welcome I'm due number 2 on the 24/5 so we are very close! Congrats on your baby boy.... The boys are really outnumbering the girls on both this and the May thread!

Tryingreallyhard84 Fri 09-Jan-15 21:33:49

Place marking so my app picks this up. grin

Jazzy - thanks for sorting a shiny new thread out.

Just been out for a meal with the hubs. Real baby is now sharing space with big food baby. blush I'm so full.

Bazza2 Fri 09-Jan-15 21:38:29

Drat. Posted on old thread. I was just wondering about feeding chairs. What sort of chair is good? It'll need to be reasonably small is the nursery is pretty tiny.

Bazza2 Fri 09-Jan-15 21:38:57

*as

pasbeaucoupdegendarme Fri 09-Jan-15 21:43:19

I didn't have a feeding chair at all Bazza. Either used sofa or bed depending on where I was. I'm sure people will have good advice about which are comfy but don't feel it's a "must" if you don't really want to smile

jazzyjenbo Fri 09-Jan-15 21:44:14

Sorry didnt mean to offend anyone, re the thread title.

I have been writing boys and girls on the stats but colour coding just so its easier to see the split in the quantity of each. I can take the colours off if you would all prefer.

My daughter is very girly... But her favourite thing in the whole world is Jurassic park (shes 2)

Phryn Fri 09-Jan-15 22:00:46

I'm not offended at all Jazzy either by the title or the colour coding. As others have said pink/blue is just short-hand (a helpful way of thinking about it so thanks for that suggestion those who mentioned it). I just have a case of the gender grumps and language always makes me think and overthink.

PS Jurassic park is awesome - nice one Jazzy's DD

ToriB34 Fri 09-Jan-15 22:02:40

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

This thread is not accepting new messages.