Talk

Advanced search

Pregnant? See how your baby develops, your body changes, and what you can expect during each week of your pregnancy with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

April 2015 Thread 8: Third Trimester? How did THAT happen?!

(1000 Posts)
SquattingNeville Thu 08-Jan-15 22:47:50

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

cinnamongreyhound Thu 08-Jan-15 22:52:51

Hello!

daholster Thu 08-Jan-15 23:00:24

lucyandpoppy

Email: drug-information@breastfeedingnetwork.org.uk

Hidingthefear Thu 08-Jan-15 23:00:33

Thank you Daholster really helpful.
I love you ladies!
Don't know what I'd do without you! (Be a nervous, quivering, wreck probably)

Lucyandpoppy Thu 08-Jan-15 23:03:47

hiding there might be a local breastfeeding club on facebook I am a member of one called Berkshire Breastfeeding, it seems very active on there with people posting advice and so on. If you don't mind me asking, how old are you? I'm 21 and totally panicing about being judged by other mummas when I start going to antenatal classes (doing the NCT ones where apparently most people are in their 30's!) and mum and baby groups and so on.

Any other young mummies on the thread?

SquattingNeville Thu 08-Jan-15 23:04:08

Lucyandpoppy Thu 08-Jan-15 23:06:12

thanks daholster have dropped them an email smile Hopefully they will be able to shed some light. If they say that there is mixed evidence I think I will go for formula feeding, OH said that he is not comfortable with me bf'ing unless we have some more evidence of safety.

PenguinPoser Thu 08-Jan-15 23:06:58

Thanks for the advice about nip

SquattingNeville Thu 08-Jan-15 23:07:12

PenguinPoser Thu 08-Jan-15 23:07:32

Oops! About nipple shields that was meant to say! grin silly phone! Will try to avoid them unless necessary!

cinnamongreyhound Thu 08-Jan-15 23:14:14

I think a lot of it is upbringing too, a lot of people I know think it's weird to bf!! Why would you want a baby attached to your boob unless you're a pervert kind of attitude. I was very much in the minority, 26 when I had ds1.

Lucyandpoppy Thu 08-Jan-15 23:16:45

lol squatting my OH is so into marvel (or is it DC? not sure but think it might be both) things we went to the library the other day and he came home with a pile of comics I was like once we have a baby we're going to have to stop getting books from the kids section for you :p lol!

Lucyandpoppy Thu 08-Jan-15 23:46:40

Just finished writing my hospital bag list (for c section) so far have

for me:
pajamas and nighties x 3
maternity pants x 5
bra
socks
toiletry bag inc make up, hairbrush, hairbands, shampoo, shower gel, deoderant, contact lenses, glasses, toothbrush, toothpaste, chapstick
maternity pads
nursing pads
earplugs and eyemask
antibac surface wipes and hand gel
spare change for parking, tv usage on the ward, phone calls, vending machine
phone and charger
possibly ds and charger
towel
painkillers (paracetamol and codiene in case post natal ward is seriously lacking)
chewing gum, snacks, drinks
maternity notes
pen and paper
empty carrier bags
books and/or mags
tissues

for bebe:
babygrows, socks, hats, cardi
muslins
waterwipes
sudocrem
disposible nappies
nappy sacks
dummies

anyone got any suggestions? xx

catsofa Fri 09-Jan-15 01:01:26

Thanks for the new thread!

Lauren Yeah I've been a bit worried that some of my moles felt a bit itchy, is that normal then?

BrixtonBunny I'm also reading "Hypnobirthing" by Marie Mongan, it's the only thing I've found that might be helpful for my PTSD but I don't think I can afford to do the course, and I suspect it's quite an experiential thing that really needs to be taught in person rather than/as well as via reading a book. Loads of useful stuff in the book though, I'm planning to switch to only positive thoughts about it all in about March when I've learned as much as I think I need to about Things That Can Go Wrong, so that I'm well informed enough to make decisions if I do need to but am focussed only on "normal" birth in the run up to actually doing it.

SquattingNeville thanks I'll order that book for my "It'll all be fine" phase too grin

I definitely have a large hippy streak, hoping for a water birth etc. Surprised that more people aren't going to try reusable nappies at some point, just for the cost savings alone. But also the landfill issue - just think, the disposable nappies my mum used on me when I was a baby are still sitting buried in the earth somewhere, and won't break down until after I'm dead! I want to try to leave a cleaner world for this LO to live in.

BTW can anyone clarify exactly when the third trimester starts please? I had a small glass of wine lined up ready for the start of the second, and then only the day before I got there I learned that the start of the second trimester was the start of week 13, not the start of week 12 when I thought I was going to get that wine. I was most annoyed grin. So what day do people think the third trimester actually begins?

24 + 2

Lucyandpoppy Fri 09-Jan-15 01:20:49

catsofa

sobering thought there re: disposable nappies. We have chosen not to use them as currently living with in laws and there are 2 babies due in the household in April, honestly chucking nappies in the bin when we're done is a lot easier than it is going to be washing (one washing machine for 8 people) and drying them (no tumble dryer or outside drying space). We don't drive and don't go on foreign holidays or anything so I like to think that we do do our bit for the environment but in a different way!

I think the thurd trimester is 28 or 29 weeks?

Lucyandpoppy Fri 09-Jan-15 01:28:34

Oh gosh you can tell its late at night when I can't even spell third haha just double checked and third trimester starts at beginning of week 29 smile

catsofa Fri 09-Jan-15 02:17:10

OMG I will now think of it as the turd trimester eek! LOL smile

Mel0Drama Fri 09-Jan-15 02:50:38

Wineandchoccy Fri 09-Jan-15 04:46:12

Thanks for the new thread, I can't believe we are on thread 8 already.

I can't sleep I've been awake since 3am now I'm up and having a hot cross bun and mnetting, it's going to be a long day at work!

Work was rubbish yesterday moaning customers, lots of emails and not enough hours in the day and as soon as I walked in the door I burst into tears I think DH thought I'd been in an accident. Roll on mat leave.

I hope to breast feed and as my boobs are leaking already I hope that means I will produce enough milk. I quite like the thought that I will be the one to help baby grow and flourish on my milk but if it doesn't work out for whatever reason I'm sure baby won't mind where it's milk comes from. I have been looking into baby groups for when I am on Mat leave and on a Tues between 9.30 -12.30 there is a parent + baby group, every 1/2 hour they do something different I.e music time, baby massage etc but every other week there is a bf nurse there to help. Oh and it's £2 suggested donation with coffee and CAKE! Woo hoo that's my Tuesdays sorted grin

We have bought a plastic bath chair that fits in the ordinary bath but I plan to use the basin while baby is small enough or could empty the cats drinking water out of the Belfast sink in the garden as that would be the perfect size grin

BrixtonBunny Fri 09-Jan-15 06:37:35

Wow, we talk a lot!

Cat I think it starts at 28 weeks - exciting! Can't believe still how fast time is going now.

Breastfeeding - I'm lucky in that it's basically a foregone conclusion with everyone I know that I will do it. I don't think any of my friends have even asked, everyone just assumes I will do it, ditto my family and DPs family so think I will get lots of support. I don't think I know many people who have ff so for me that's not the default choice.

TinyTear Fri 09-Jan-15 07:02:42

The midwife gave me info on the local bf group. I went most Monday mornings for 6 months. They helped a lot in the start.

Hidingthefear Fri 09-Jan-15 07:41:16

Hi lucy I'm 25 and my friends with babies are between 25-28. My friends asked about feeding and when I said I was trying breastfeedingher reaction was "oh no you're not are you?" And launched into horror stories she's heard. And She's not even a mum!! It's no wonder people don't want to breastfeed when their head is filled with horror stories before they even think about having children.
I'm not on Facebook and really don't want to join again. Maybe I'll make an account with a different name just for joining groups.

BananaToast Fri 09-Jan-15 07:43:03

Thanks for sorting the new thread.

Good plan investigating breastfeeding groups now - will add that to my to do list.

Squatting I have similar thoughts about coping with pain that you understand and know will end. I'm hoping that will help me through labour and the early days of feeding.

I'm also hoping for a bit of a hippy birth but trying not to get any pre defined ideas. Ideal world I would have a water birth with no more than gas and air, but I am not ruling out stronger pain relief for the moment. I know I don't want pethidine/diamorphine though, I really don't like what I've heard and read about them.

PenguinPoser Fri 09-Jan-15 07:46:18

My phone app says I'm in third trimester today at 28 weeks exactly grin

Shame I have to go to work now and not finish until 11pm sad. Hope everyone has a good day.

Misty414 Fri 09-Jan-15 07:50:41

This thread is not accepting new messages.