Talk

Advanced search

Pregnant, with PCOS...

(19 Posts)
ChandlersFarang Tue 30-Dec-14 08:05:18

Hello you lovely lot,

I was just wondering whether any of you that are pregnant also have PCOS? I got a very surprise BFP last week so is still very early days, but the associated risks with PCOS are really playing on my mind! Would be lovely to hear experiences from anyone else that has PCOS and is pregnant. smilesmile

Number3cometome Tue 30-Dec-14 15:39:35

Yep!
DC1 took 18 months to conceive (no complications relating to the PCOS in pregnancy)
DC2 took 4 years to conceive (left ovary was completely cystic by this stage) again, no complications in pregnancy due to PCOS.
DC3 - currently growing in my belly 10+3 and early scan indicates only one new cyst on my right ovary and none on the left! This baby took just 3 months to conceive grin

ChandlersFarang Wed 31-Dec-14 04:39:50

Wow number3 massive congratulations on your current and two previous pregnancies!! Thanks so much for your reassuring reply.

Absolutely thrilling to hear you haven't suffered any PCOS-related issues during any of your pregnancies. Were you taking metformin during any or all of them, by any chance? The doc here wants me to go back on it - I stopped in Nov as it seemed to not be doing a lot for me. I'm loath to go back on it, especially as my BMI is 23 so I'm not overweight (ie am managing risks through diet and exercise, plus some inositol, a natural insulin sensitiser, and feeling good!).

What did you do? X x

ChandlersFarang Wed 31-Dec-14 04:39:54

Wow number3 massive congratulations on your current and two previous pregnancies!! Thanks so much for your reassuring reply.

Absolutely thrilling to hear you haven't suffered any PCOS-related issues during any of your pregnancies. Were you taking metformin during any or all of them, by any chance? The doc here wants me to go back on it - I stopped in Nov as it seemed to not be doing a lot for me. I'm loath to go back on it, especially as my BMI is 23 so I'm not overweight (ie am managing risks through diet and exercise, plus some inositol, a natural insulin sensitiser, and feeling good!).

What did you do? X x

Number3cometome Wed 31-Dec-14 09:51:26

ChandlersFarang

No, my doc wouldn't prescribe me Metformin.

She said my blood test results do not warrant it.

The only thing I have found, is that I have been dated a week less pregnant than my period dates. I would usually have a cycle between 35-60 days, but the last cycle before my pregnancy was 28 days so I assumed I would count ovulation from 14 days but infact I didn't ovulate until day 21.

With my DC1, it was 12 years ago, they didn't prescribe medication then.

With DC2 I had aspirin and beta blockers due to my blood pressure, and then same this time.

I have a BMI of 26 and will have to keep a close eye on my weight as I do tend to balloon in pregnancy.

I do have to have the new cyst on the right ovary monitored which I haven't had before, i'm hoping it will stay small.

I actually really believe that a total change in diet has really improved my PCOS. I eat a lot more protein than carbs now.

I do find any sweet stuff and I am asleep within minutes!

ChandlersFarang Thu 01-Jan-15 06:24:05

Thanks no3!! Again that's really reassuring. So you were having quite regular-ish cycles before getting pregnant - great! I ovulated on CD40 this cycle when I got preg, so my due date if you go by LMP is totally out! I know which day I ov'd tho so that's ok.

All the very best of luck with this pregnancy, am really hoping mine works out but am pretty terrified today that it's on it's way out as my FRER line was lighter this morning (I know that doesn't necessarily mean the worst but still!). X x

Fluffeh Thu 01-Jan-15 06:34:51

Hi I have pcos too.
Dd was conceived first month of trying and currently 21+2 also conceived first month of trying.
I have been taking metformin for around 8 years and have taken through both pregnancies so far.
I've had no pcos complications with my last or this preg.
Best of luck with the rest of your pregnancy chandler!

Zebrasinpyjamas Thu 01-Jan-15 06:55:40

Yep I had a problem free pregnancy too. I was ranked as higher risk at my first midwife appointment so I had some extra check up as a precaution. My pcos is at the milder end of the spectrum though.

ChandlersFarang Thu 01-Jan-15 17:45:58

Fluff that's fab to hear, congrats on your successful and speedy pregnancies! Interesting to hear you were on met throughout all too.

Zebra I'm also lower down the PCOS spectrum too, I'm not overweight and don't get that many other obvious symptoms really.

Were any of you given progesterone support during the first trimester?

Zebrasinpyjamas Thu 01-Jan-15 18:49:53

No I didn't have that. My consultant was mostly focused on me not putting on too much weight (And actually I didn't put much on at all which I think helped downgrade my risk rating later on).

number3- I'm interested by your comments on diet. Is protein rather than carbs your main change or did you make other dietcchanges too?

Number3cometome Fri 02-Jan-15 09:09:11

Zebrasinpyjamas protein and fat instead of carbs.

It has really helped my skin too - although since I have been pregnant I am struggling and need more carbs.

When not pregnant, I function with a lot less PCOS symptoms on a paleo diet.

You have to have animal fat in the diet too. It helps me control my weight and makes me feel stronger when exercising.

ChandlersFarang Fri 02-Jan-15 10:15:29

Talking of exercise, how much did you do/are you doing during your pregnancies? I was doing a pretty good and frequent regime before I got my BFP which I think is partly why it happened - that plus inositol I started taking 20 days before my first ovulation in months!! - but since my BFP have been away on hols for Xmas so not able to go to the gym. Have been a bit scared about doing too much, but I know weights and stuff are really good for burning off excess androgens in PCOS. Any thoughts/experiences?

Number3cometome Fri 02-Jan-15 10:36:57

I was going to the gym 4 times a week until 7 weeks, and then my gym closed for refurbishment.

Since then, super nausea and sickness has kicked in and I haven't been once hangs head in shame

I need to start again next week all being well with nausea.

I am 11 weeks tomorrow

still having lots of sex if that counts

ChandlersFarang Fri 02-Jan-15 18:33:13

Hahaha I really do like your style No3!!!! gringringrin

What were you doing at the gym throughout the first trimester? I was told by the doc here to do nothing but that's clearly bollocks. Not sure where to draw the line really. Was doing a lot of running before (and sprinting) which is probably not advisable!! Weights are still definitely OK. Was thinking about switching from the treadmill to the cross trainer maybe, lower impact?

Zebrasinpyjamas Sat 03-Jan-15 19:45:59

I carried on as normal at the gym for the first 4-5 months or so but was careful not to up the ante so I didn't strain anything. I phased out the gym in favour of antenatal pilates by 5 mths but mostly due to my gym training ptr being more pregnant than me so had to stop and my motivation went!

ChandlersFarang Sun 04-Jan-15 15:00:31

Thanks zebras!! Sadly, I am pretty sure I had a miscarriage today. Doc tomorrow. PCOS or just bad luck?! Either way hoping to be back on the ante-natal boards again soon. Hopefully I can ovulate again without waiting aeons!! Xx

Number3cometome Mon 05-Jan-15 08:50:35

So sorry Chandlers, if you are able, I would get straight back to TTC as you will be super fertile immediately after a M/C

I really wish the best for you xx

ChandlersFarang Mon 05-Jan-15 16:30:03

Thanks no3, I had read that somewhere actually! Fx I ov soon and will take full advantage smile

Zebrasinpyjamas Tue 06-Jan-15 20:48:43

Oh no I'm so sorry to hear that Chandlers. How horrible for you.

Not sure whether this is helpful or tactless (but aiming for the first)- a family member of mine conceived using that fertility window (first bfp needed Ivf) so it can happen! I hope everything works out for you.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now