Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

July thread - we are nearing the end of the first trimester, announcements will be made soon!

(1000 Posts)
fattycow Fri 12-Dec-14 15:06:23

New thread, as the other one was nearly full! Can someone please post the stats page, as I'm useless with things like that!

WantToGoingTo Fri 12-Dec-14 15:16:39

Eek place marking! I am definitely going to spread the spend over about 6 months as there is so much stuff you need shock though I agree with earlier posts about being rippe off - the cos make out you need all this stuff to be a bad parents but if you just think back 50 years they didn't have all this gaff and babies were fine! DH certainly didn't sleep in a temperature controlled room as his parents don't have central heating hmm

Mw and scan in less than a week - eek. Praying everything is ok with little bean.

8+0

fattycow Fri 12-Dec-14 15:22:21

Hoping this will work for the stats list:

stats

Threeplus1 Fri 12-Dec-14 15:23:30

Thanks for the new thread fatty

I never bought a baby monitor or used one. I don't feel they are necessary unless you live in a huge house where you can't hear from one end to the next. Besides, my babies always slept with me at night and close by in the day.

Babies actually need very little so save your money for the important stuff like cot and mattress, pushchair/travel system, car seat, clothes and nappies. lots of nappies grin

Threeplus1 Fri 12-Dec-14 15:24:02

Oops 9+6

itsnotthatdeep Fri 12-Dec-14 15:28:59

well said Three !

and ooh Fatty grin

fattycow Fri 12-Dec-14 15:29:46

11 weeks for me today, nearly time to do the big reveals at Christmas!

Leela5 Fri 12-Dec-14 15:30:36

Hello! Thanks for new thread!

I've been quite lucky as a few friends have had their 'final' babies in the last two years and have said they would like me to have their stuff. I'm going to buy cot, car seat and travel system new but try to get as much other stuff second hand as possible.

Can't wait for time to go by so I can get excited and start looking to buy stuff!

9 weeks today

fattycow Fri 12-Dec-14 15:31:28

I don't think I will bother with a monitor. Although we could end up with a camera in bubba's room, that you can watch on your phone. But that is because DH's company will probably get rid of the ones they have installed now, so he will take them home.

fattycow Fri 12-Dec-14 15:34:58

I have my own wardrobe/changing table from when I was my baby. So that will get sanded and repainted. Comfy chair from downstairs is going up. My best friend saved her baby's crib, so my mum will make new covering for it. Furniture wise I'm sorted (well, for the room).

StoneBaby Fri 12-Dec-14 15:42:18

Thanks for the new thread fatty

I'm all sorted as we kept all of DS's stuff but I will have to buy clothes as DS was a February baby so all the sleepsuits are thick velvety ones, probably not suitable for a July newborn! I will wait next month that I had my 12 weeks scan and may start flogging the newborn winter clothes.

Naturegirl82 Fri 12-Dec-14 15:42:23

Marking place.

We had mainly second (third/fourth) hand for dd1. Bought new nursery furniture but only because we had just moved house so it had nothing in, new crib and new travel system. Also bought cloth nappies (which save you a fortune, and will increase savings for this one) so we don't need anything this time apart from some clothes if it's a boy.

WantToGoingTo Fri 12-Dec-14 15:44:52

I am going to use Moses basket and oct my mum and I were in as babies and was used recently so has new mattress too! But we will buy pram etc (prob second hand) and hope for clothes as presents smile

fattycow Fri 12-Dec-14 15:48:58

I am planning on cloth nappies as well! Currently saving up for them.
We are going to ask my sister in law for her car seat. Her boy will have outgrown it by the time I deliver.
I am hoping my parents will buy us a pram. My dad hinted the other day about buying a room when I get pregnant, but I'd rather have him buying the pram! I don't mind secondhand much, but I would like a new one for this. Or the secondhand one must look pristine and be able to withstand having the covers washed at a very high temp!
I am getting a baby bath. It is the norm over here and they are very cheap, so I'll just go and get one.
And I want a nice playpen. Over here we don't use the ones that are basically just pieces of fence, but ones that are a piece of furniture. They look like a square cot bed.

StoneBaby Fri 12-Dec-14 16:06:16

I used cloth nappies too with DS and will reuse them with this DC. I went for bumgenius and was really happy with them

naty1 Fri 12-Dec-14 16:07:40

So glad i didnt invest in cloth nappies, cant see they would have comtained dds poops (more than 8 per day and that would be so much more washing.
We still use the baby monitor (though it was of limited value for first 11m) as we shut all the doors and wouldnt be able to hear crying.
We shouldnt have much to buy (though lots of clothes if it is a boy)
The moses basket and blanket are pink. Also if its a girl we would have DSis DDs handmedowns.
So i guess the kid would be grateful to be a boy and avoid that.

Ive been getting a bit of greenish CM and didnt mention at booking on tues (so many things going on and i though itd gone away)
But more today so im going in monday for apparently 'a swab and urine sample'. Though i had thought they checked urine on tues so who knows.
No symptoms so not expecting thrush or UTI.

Overtiredbackagain Fri 12-Dec-14 16:24:59

Marking my place til I can catch up! Thanks for new thread x

smallgreenbanana Fri 12-Dec-14 16:25:26

Lots of Christmassy events at work today. Halfway through Christmas lunch I suddenly flagged and had to bail on the rest of the Christmas fun in the afternoon. I've been feeling a lot better but somehow being sociable just seems like an insurmountable effort, so now I feel bad for being rubbish. sad

Fleurchamp Fri 12-Dec-14 16:42:37

My DSis has a 1 and a 4 yr old.My parents bought her quite a lot of stuff -pram, video monitor (she has a huge house, so handy) and co sleeper cot - which she doesn't use anymore. I am going to ask to borrow the pram at least. TBH they don't seem to be in the lay down pram for long and as I have a tiny house I will be looking to switch to a lighter stroller type thing (clearly I know nothing yet about these things) as soon as possible.

Our parents will want to get us something and so I will probably ask for the hugely overpriced cot I have my eye on.

Thepurplegiraffe Fri 12-Dec-14 16:49:38

Checking in, thanks for the new thread.

Threeplus1 Fri 12-Dec-14 16:54:40

Having not planned on having any more children, we got rid of everything - I was able to hand down and reuse a lot of stuff from DS to dd1 and then dd2. Since dd2 we also moved here to Canada and didn't ship anything did started from scratch and only got the bare minimum (no cot), and as we are in an apartment, as she stopped needin things we got rid. Everything is going to have to be bought from scratch and worst part is, we don't have room for a regular sized cot so am going to have to pay extra for a special 'mini' crib and specific mattress and sheets confused

I'm sensing some haemorrhaging of the bank account to come....

Number3cometome Fri 12-Dec-14 16:59:05

Hi ladies, just had my scan.
I've been dated a week behind as expected but heartbeat was there and my little bean was wiggling all over the place!

She said the scan isn't always accurate so I may be re-dated at 12 week scan.

Just so happy it was ok for now!

OH shed a tear was so cute x

7+6 or 8+6 lol

StoneBaby Fri 12-Dec-14 17:05:10

number great news smile

Threeplus1 Fri 12-Dec-14 17:07:11

Congrats number grin

Luckystar82 Fri 12-Dec-14 17:17:13

Thanks for starting the new thread fatty - we are filling these up fast!

I've found it hard to keep up with the thread with all the morning sickness I've had these past few weeks, but now I'm in my 12th week (11.1 - eek!) the sickness has eased greatly and I feel human again - yeay! To everyone still feeling rubbish, hang on in there, and remember there is light at the end of the tunnel and hopefully your sickness will ease soon when the placenta starts to take over.

I've started buying baby stuff, mainly because I want to spread the cost and capitalise on bargains where I can. This is DC1 and we don't know anyone who will donate baby stuff to us. I probably shouldn't have started buying, but did start buying after the scan at 8 weeks when we saw a strong heartbeat. I am praying 12 week scan next week is all fine (fx).

I got some stuff on Black Friday sale:
- unisex babygrows/ sleepsuits with gorgeous patterns on from John Lewis - £3 for 3 packs. I got six packs (18 in total!)
- Aiden +Anais swaddle blankets and muslins on Amazon Black Friday deal.
- Baby books from Book People (20% off) to read to bump!

We spent a long time TTC so I've already decided on buggy (Baby Jogger GT), car seat (maxi cosi). I've asked for John Lewis vouchers for Christmas to put towards these items. We plan to rent the Bednest from NCT (£109 for six months with new matress).

Apart from that I'm not planning on buying much more until after the baby is born and I know what we really need (e.g. I may decide to buy a sling).

Is there anything experienced mums think I've missed?

This thread is not accepting new messages.