Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Hypno Birthing

(11 Posts)
naylerparis Sat 15-Nov-14 13:57:06

Ladies, this is my first time on Mums net, so bare with me. I am 34 weeks pregnant today! I ve been quite nervous about the birth I have two other children and did not experience the best of births. I have been reading up on Hypno birthing and it sounds amazing! Just hope I have time to put this to practise before my baby arrives. I have found some true inspiration whilst reading up on the web, one blog I found www.minimis.co.uk/blog is heart warming. Any ladies experienced Hypno birthing?

Solasum Sat 15-Nov-14 14:09:10

I did it. I practised visualisations and breathing for months. In labour I was climbing a snowy mountain ready to ski down. It helped that the ward I was on was deserted apart from us, in winter and freezing. It sounds ridiculous I know, but it worked for me. Definitely worth giving it a try to keep you relaxed in the early stages.

BadIdeaBear Sun 23-Nov-14 19:32:27

My DSis has just given birth 7 weeks ago and now swears by hypnobirthing. She gave birth at home in a pool - 18 hour labour on 2 paracetamol and a TENS machine!

I read her birthing story and it was beautiful. I guess for it to be successful, you need to full on embrace everything. She recommends www.thelazydaisychain.co.uk/ if you have links local to you.

bluewisteria Sat 20-Dec-14 19:58:58

Yes I did for my second birth and it was incredible!!

I also found myself able to draw on the techniques post birth when stressed about something- generally squabbling children!

I don't know anyone that regrets it.
But to be clear, it doesn't make birth painless, but makes the pain manageable by, I think, taking away fear. It also gives your partner a great role leading up to and at the birth. We found it hugely bonding.

WaitingForMe Sat 20-Dec-14 20:04:54

I did hypnobirthing then had a hideous 50 hour labour where I had all the drugs. I still absolutely swear by hypnobirthing as despite having a high intervention labour I felt far more in control than I otherwise would have. It gave me the confidence to demand a ball in triage when they just wanted me lying on a bed.

Also, before I went to hospital I was chilled out in my house and when a friend said she'd be passing I told her to stop by. She found it very surreal to have me timing my contractions whilst maintaining a conversation. The first twelve hours of my labour were great and I look back on them fondly grin

ChaircatMiaow Wed 24-Dec-14 08:50:17

Ladies, what did you do in terms of practice for hypnobirthing?

Im starting to panic now as I'm 35 weeks. I listen to the rainbow relaxation every day but I either fall straight asleep or can't get into the deep relaxation mood. My calm and birth breathing feels fine but I just can't get the hang of the surge breathing. I feel like I just don't have the lung capacity for it.

ChaircatMiaow Sun 28-Dec-14 09:03:24

Bump

Hidingthefear Wed 21-Jan-15 07:32:22

I've got my first hypnobirthing class on Monday. I booked the classes after reading everyone's positive comments, lovely to see it worked well for most of you.
not cheap but i think it will be worth it (£300 for 5 2.5hour sessions in our own home), as a first timer the prospect of birth is pretty scary!

gillybeannorris Wed 10-Jun-15 16:28:09

Hi I practiced hypnobirthing ready for my first. did the classes practiced from 25 weeks. but wasnt able to listen to the cd etc as i was in a shared room for my 3 day labour. However with my second I again practiced from 25 weeks and went through labour with no pain relief. just used relaxation! fab experience. I went from 0cm dilated at 8pm and was fully dilated at 10pm daughter no 2 born after 3 pushes. I didnt make a sound the midwifes delivered her on the antental ward as they didnt have time to get me to delivery and they had no idea i was in labour as i was sooo calm. I initailly felt contractions after being induced at 3pm which suddenly become quite bad so i decided to zone myself out practice breathing etc and i cant remember where 2 hours went i just 'woke' up pushing and out came my baby with no effort.
I'm due again in jan and prepare to do the same.
you can do it if you prepare.
I didnt even have anyone with me as they send oh home saying i wasnt dilated. so I did it all alone.
I loved hypobirthing and can say i felt no pain in those two hours!
good luck!

Oysterbabe Wed 10-Jun-15 17:13:26

I'm planning on doing this and will look into it straight after the 12 week scan.

goodnessgraciousgouda Thu 11-Jun-15 13:50:49

I think hypnobirthing is - by it's very definition - a psychological based approach. If it's going to work, the person has to genuinely and deeply believe that it is going to work.

I did look into it, but unfortunately the basic concepts go against some things I firmly believe in, so it probably wouldn't be much good for me.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now