Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

The Short Cervix Club

(697 Posts)
Pizdets Mon 10-Jun-13 19:25:31

Given the high number of threads started in 'pregnancy' on short/incompetent cervixes of late, I thought I'd have a crack at starting a club which we can join to share how we're getting on and pool the information we've been given which hopefully can also reassure or inform other ladies coming on here and worried about the state of their cervixes.

I'll kick off with a bit about my own story:

I'm currently 24+4, due 26th September. I had a scan at the prem clinic at Queen Charlotte's in London who measured my cervix as 2.3/2.4cm and advised a stitch (they do this for anyone who measures under 2.5cm). I had the stitch put in at 15 weeks with a spinal block and so far so good - I'm walking the dog, doing pregnancy yoga, still fairly active and no problems or twinges at all (so far!).

Please feel free to share your experiences, ask questions or update, it's great to hear from other people going through the same worry and so reassuring to know if things are going well!

Piz

adwoajess86 Fri 17-Feb-17 14:36:54

Hi all!
Been a bit quiet as I had a bit of a scare as when I passed urine I saw a blood cloth... called the hospital and went for a scan, everything is ok even the baby wink... I didn't bleed at all since the stitch was put in so was told that the cloth is a build up

A bit of blood is expected and i was also advised that if I had abdominal pain then they would have worry

Blueroses99 i was told on Wednesday to get plenty of rest for at least 2-3 days so planning to go back to work on Monday.

Good luck to all of you!!!

JOMH1982 Fri 17-Feb-17 13:57:16

Bless you all ladies, I had bleeding and spotting for about a week afterwards, but I guess we are all different aren't we. If you're ever worried, don't be scared to get yourself checked out, and rest up and drink lots of water xx sending lots of good luck cx

Lauren112233 Fri 17-Feb-17 12:10:03

I've been to hospital and they did an examination now I feel more sore!! But said stitch looks fine and was some brown discharge on the cervix but can't see any new blood. but I have thrush also. So waiting for the doctor to call for a prescription. Just praying all will be okay!🙏🏻Xxx

Blueroses99 Fri 17-Feb-17 11:37:48

Oh dear, I've just had some brown bleeding too! Midwife has advised that if there is anymore to go into A&E to get a referral to the local EPU. It's been 2 weeks since the stitch so thought it might have settled now. Pad in place to watch out for any more blood!

Blueroses99 Fri 17-Feb-17 08:41:47

A little bit of blood is to be expected, I wouldn't worry unless it is a lot but call the hospital if you need some reassurance xx

Lauren112233 Fri 17-Feb-17 03:57:58

Thank you I've just been to the toilet now and there is new blood! Not a lot but should I call hospital?
It has only been 4 days?
Thanks again

Blueroses99 Thu 16-Feb-17 23:14:17

That's great April. Hope you recover well!

Lauren I had pink spotting but didn't really notice any discharge. One night I passed a little clot, and then didn't have any more bleeding. I think that if the procedure had ruptured your membrane causing the amniotic fluid to leak, it would have been noticed by the surgeons in theatre so seems unlikely. It's probably just that area adjusting. Brown is old blood.

Rest up ladies xx

Lauren112233 Thu 16-Feb-17 21:54:03

Hello. Ah thank you!
I am consultant led so will ask them!
Also what kind of discharge did you all experience after? Mines been really watery tonight, quite a lot still with a browny stain through? No new red blood but now worried could be my amniotic fluid?
Thanks

April1984 Thu 16-Feb-17 21:14:51

Hi all, welcome to the newbies. So many people stitched up recently! I got stitched up today! All fine, just a bit of cramping and a fair bit of bleeding but already easing off. Saw bubs on a scan after and all seemed fine.

On the bath front (and swimming) , I personally didn't (and I looooove baths!). Never got told not to tho. Just made the decision to not do anything that was even discussed by others as something not to do. It's just due to the pot risk of infection tho I'm sure it's very low risk- for baths even more so. I just wasn't sure re water quality (live abroad) so that put me off too. Will do the same this time around (my second stitch).

Hope everyone is doing well.

Agree re TAC I think it works great but agree that the statistics are high as not many people have it. I'm also convinced the statistics are so good as (in The US especially) they give them to patients who don't necc need it and for who a stitch would have worked. Understand why people go for it tho and I was all ready to go to the US for it (Dr said I absolutely needed it on history alone, without examining me). Whereas the doc who examined me in London who I specifically chose as he does TAC and TVC/TVCIC and is private only. Despite the fact he'd get paid a lot more, both times he def said not to do the TAC as there was 'enough cervix to work with'. I did have my second at 35 weeks which he seemed disappointed about. Today he said he felt sure I'd got further, hoping that means he did it extra high and extra tight!!

Sorry if I didn't reply to anything, on phone and so difficult to reply properly.

Good luck all. I'll check out the Facebook group. On a few but they're American. X

Blueroses99 Thu 16-Feb-17 10:47:11

Lauren do you mean progesterone? I am on the pessaries as it was an IVF pregnancy and just continued taking them. My consultant says he doesn't prescribe it but also doesn't stop women taking it if they already are. In my experience the midwives don't know so get it referred to a consultant if necessary.

Welcome Jess, great that the stitch is in now and you got to see baby again. I insisted on a scan too as I was worried about the effect of the anaesthetic on her, but she was wriggling away! How long do you have off to recover?

Welcome JOMH. I'm sorry for your loss. I had a loss at 21w and I never use the m word, it just doesn't capture what happened! 10 month miscarriage must have been incredibly hard too. flowers So pleased to hear that you're doing well with the stitch.

I'll add trampolining to the list of restrictions, I hadn't thought of that one hmm I am just being very very cautious. The healthcare providers would probably tell me I can do more than I'm letting myself do but I just know that I have to do everything I can to keep this little one safe.

If anyone is looking for more support, as well as on here of course, I've joined Incompetent Cervix UK on Facebook which has been a great source of information.

Best of luck to all of us star

JOMH1982 Thu 16-Feb-17 09:08:11

Thanks for the link, blue rosessmile

27+2 here having had a stitch at 15 weeks due to late "miscarriage" at 20 weeks, 15 months ago. Weakened cervix Possibly due to birth trauma from 4yo little girl. Two early miscarriages before that, one of which lasted 10 months. Diagnosed with abnormal clotting issue which meant couldn't miscarriage naturally so on blood thinners and progesterone.

The stitch is a life saver, literally. I'm amazed I've got this far! Rooting away for you all, it's such an angst-ridden time.

Re baths etc, my consultant said he wanted me to take it easy, but basically forget about the stitch, oh, and no trampolining (good one doc!) as a precaution in avoiding baths and swimming and heavy housework , but still at work and doing well. Xx

adwoajess86 Thu 16-Feb-17 02:02:26

Hi all,
I'm 14+4 and Had the stitch put in yesterday...all went well and even got the chance to have a scan afterwards and baby was fine.
Thanks @blueroses99 for introducing me to the threadwink

Lauren112233 Tue 14-Feb-17 21:25:36

Yes I've read that too and also thought the same . I totally forgot to ask if I need the shots or injection to help also. I'm at the midwife on Thursday so I'll ask her.
Just hope it doesn't budge now until they cut it 🙏🏻 Hope your feeling well! Thanks x

Blueroses99 Tue 14-Feb-17 20:44:17

That's great Lauren, very similar to mine. I haven't been told not to have baths but would be worried about the risk of infection to be honest, which is why others are told not to have baths or swim, so I'll just err on the side of caution.

Safe travels April and good luck with Dr Gibb on Thursday.

My understanding is that TAC have a good chance of succes because it's used very sparingly. It's major abdominal surgery and is the most risky procedure, therefore if it was used in more borderline or less obvious circumstances, the risks would outweigh the benefits.

Lauren112233 Tue 14-Feb-17 18:21:55

Hi I had my stitch yesterday. All went well McDonald stitch and very straight forward. Thank fully. Had a spinal block and was painless. Just aching and slight period type pains now...wearing off though! Under no bed rest rules just told to take things easy and no sex.
Do any of you have baths or just showers? Thanks
Lauren

April1984 Tue 14-Feb-17 17:28:09

Hi Fraggle and welcome Lauren

My stitch was/will be a shirodkar (I guess a bit like a TVCIC rather than a TVC tho I've found diff docs can call them different things) which is not placed through the abdomen. There's diff techniques too, eg placing it around or through the cervix and the type of stitch. Only the TAC is placed via the abdomen, like a c section. I originally wanted that as it's got the best statistics but my doc said he didn't think it was appropriate for me.

The TAC is more rarely placed during pregnancy but can be. It's often pre pregnancy though and 'stays in' for future pregnancies.

If you google search TVC/TVCIC/TAC there is a lot of info. Good luck and keep us posted.

Fly to London tomorrow for my stitch. Should be stitched up by lunchtime on Thursday!

Hope you're continuing to recover Blueroses x

FraggleRock77 Sat 11-Feb-17 22:21:18

Thank you April. A really useful post. I'm sorry to hear about your loss, i can't even imagine. I have my 12 week scan next week so hoping for some more clarity. Seeing the consultant as well who i really trust. You've answered many of my questions. I'm pleased to hear your stitch held out even after ten hours. Was it placed through your abdomen? I dilated and gave birth in around an hour with my DS, which is why I'm concerned about the bursting issue. Feeling very anxious about it all at the moment!x

Lauren112233 Sat 11-Feb-17 10:52:03

Thank you I'll have a read now xx

Blueroses99 Sat 11-Feb-17 10:14:41

Hi Lauren I had my cerclage put in place last week, I am 14+5 today. I hadn't had any previous cervical surgery but had a loss at 21w last year. Read upthread for my experience of it. Let us know how you get on. Best of luck xx

April yes I finished work very early too! Good luck for Thursday xx

Lauren112233 Fri 10-Feb-17 18:04:17

Hi everyone!
I'm 14+4 and been for my cervix measured today- it's short 1.8cm due to LLETZ treatment 18 months ago. I'm having a stitch put in next week.
Has anyone had this done and what was the outcome?
Thanks x

April1984 Thu 09-Feb-17 13:04:22

Hi congrats Fraggle on your pregnancy. So are you due in August or will it be September?

I had my first son at 25 weeks and we lost him at 2 weeks old. It was assumed i had cervix issues as I had painless dilation but its hard to diagnose. When not pregnant my cervix looked to be around 2.5cm tho its v hard to measure apparently. Never had any procedures on my cervix so its a mystery.

I got an emergency stitch with my first son that failed but a preventative stitch (high shirodkar) at 12 weeks with my second son who I had at 35 weeks though stitch did its job very well, I had painful dilation so could have been pre term labour on that occasion too.

From what I know, drugs are not a substitute for a stitch. Diff docs have very diff opinions about what is best/needed! I saw about 5 docs, who ranged from saying 'wait and see' (then do an emergency stitch if necc) to going for a transabdominal stitch.

I took one 400mg dose of progesterone daily too. I have a friend who had her first at 34 weeks and had her second on progesterone alone. Difficult is these issue are so difficult to diagnose so it may have been 'just one of those things' why she had her first early.

Post stitch i personally don't get scanned internally. This is on the basis that you're at a higher risk of infection post stitch so basically I do everything I can to avoid any issues, like I don't have baths, swim etc etc,. So no scans for me but everyone is diff. The prob with no internal scans is internal scans are the only way to accurately measure the cervix but you can get an idea from abdominal scans (e.g funneling).

You could go for the wait and see and have a stitch if your cervix shortens by having regular internal scans. However, the problem is it could be overnight so its a bit of a gamble about catching it in time.

In terms of the stitch bursting, i had similar fears but i went into full blown labour with my stitch with my second and when they took it out (almost 10 hours after the first labour pains) I was over 5cm dialiated. So it does hold well! Plus things don't tend to happen super fast, they could take it out in minutes and give you pain relief that is very quick acting.

Are you close to a good hospital? That helps! I also didn't travel any distance from the hospital at all. I was pretty much always 15 mins away max. Hope you are in a similar position.

Regarding bed rest, again docs are very different. In the US its often recommended but rarely in the UK, especially not long term. I put myself on house arrest for a good few weeks, especially around 22-26 weeks, just because of the timing of having my first. But this was all self enforced rather than prescribed.My doc told me to continue as normal but this time I am finishing work at 12 weeks post op, wont be exercising, will have to do as little lifting as poss with my toddler son etc.

Hope that helps with some of your questions. Everyone is different though and you obviously went quite late with your first and so it may be you don't need to have the same kind of treatment, say I do.

Good luck and keep us posted x

April1984 Wed 08-Feb-17 18:06:17

Haven't checked this in a while as my app stopped working! Great news you are all stitched up Blueroses! Hope you're managing to recover ok. Last day for work now (long story!) on Tuesday and stitch on Thursday so not too long to go.

Welcome Fraggle rock. Can't properly respond on here but as soon as I can I will.

X

Blueroses99 Mon 06-Feb-17 22:33:31

Just checking back in to say I had my stitch on Friday, all seemed to go to plan. Having a spinal was weird - I was conscious and chatting to the nurses while I was totally numb below the hips, though there was a screen up so I couldn't see what was happening. The consultant used a nylon loop. It took several hours for the feeling to return to my feet before I could be discharged. I've had a bit of spotting since, but I've been trying to rest as much as possible. Now I'm on extended leave so have some time to recover properly!

Blueroses99 Thu 02-Feb-17 11:27:35

Not bedrest, but I'm guessing lots of sitting/reclining but keeping moving position to keep my circulation going!

FraggleRock77 Thu 02-Feb-17 11:19:09

Thanks for all the info Blue. 6 weeks off your feet!? Do you mean you will have to rest in bed for 6 weeks? x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now