Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

August 2013 - Part 4 - Half way there already!

(1000 Posts)
RugBugs Fri 15-Mar-13 19:00:11

Old thread: www.mumsnet.com/Talk/antenatal_clubs/1678178-August-2013-Part-3-Adventures-in-the-second-trimester

Stats thread: www.mumsnet.com/Talk/antenatal_clubs/1655004-Due-August-2013-Stats-Thread

JollyPurpleGiant Mon 08-Apr-13 08:44:27

You can have underwired bras as long as they fit properly.

Hot Milk 'only' go up to a G cup, so not big enough for me. I was a K when my milk came in with DS shock

Thank you for the sympathy folks. I am feeling much better today. Just a bit dizzy still with lack of food I think. Managed to keep down a bag of crisps and half a slice of toast between Friday night and this morning. I think I was running on Ribena! Hungry again this morning though which has got to be a good sign.

Have my first Physio appt on Thursday and the 20w scan a week today.

19+4 (officially half way as I'm having a section at 39w)!

RuckAndRoll Mon 08-Apr-13 09:12:35

Welcome TheThinks, the more the merrier smile

Jolly and Abi Glad you're feeling a bit better.

Off to the midwife this morning for check up. I get the impression she's the sort of person who wants to tell you what's happening and not be questioned, so of course I have a nice list of questions to ask her!

22+1

Woofers Mon 08-Apr-13 13:33:03

hot milk under wired

I much prefer under wired as I am a reasonable 36e normally but with milk anticipated they prob wont fit well.

Ruck - good luck with your list of q. I get the impression from my midwife they have so much to get thru in such a short time they prey for no questions. I have a question tho. When do you talk birth plans?

RuckAndRoll Mon 08-Apr-13 14:10:39

Well midwife was very different and chatty today so I did get a chance to ask my questions, and got answers to them all smile

Baby gave the midwife a boot in the hand when she was examining me, and booted the doppler too. Feel a bit bad though as DH hasn't felt it kick yet even though he spends ages sat with his hand on my tummy, yet the midwife gets 2 boots in 2 minutes.

JollyPurpleGiant Mon 08-Apr-13 14:22:20

Woofers I think I wrote mine sometime around the 34 week mark last time. I didn't really bother discussing it much with my midwife, beyond clarifying what interventions were and were not available at the place I planned to give birth.

GaryBuseysTeeth Mon 08-Apr-13 20:30:49

Welcome Thinks!

Woofers, asked about hospital vs home/birth centre early on but with DS (end of 2011 birth) birth plans weren't mentioned until 28wk (in a 'let me know next appointment' way), my birth plan is whatever I need as I need it. grin
Glad you didn't spend too long in hospital.
We have this DH-friendly changing bag, ignore the poor review, it's really well made (although the bottle pocket can't fit a full size Dr.Brown).

If any of you haven't signed up for the Boots baby club, the free changing bag you get through them is amazing for just one baby (basic, in black)!

Abi, glad things are looking up for you.

22+2

Stopsittingonyoursister Mon 08-Apr-13 22:51:11

You've reminded me Gary - I need to sign up for Boots baby club again, the baby changing bag is very good. I have also dropped LOADS of hints regarding a new Cath Kidston changing bag so hoping my DSis has picked up on them!!

Woofers, I think I wrote my birth plan at about 34 weeks ish with both of mine, but it literally said something along the lines of: "We want to thank all the medical staff for the care and attention that we are receiving. We trust your expert medical knowledge and advice. We want the best possible outcome for both mother and baby, and will take your advice on the safest and most appropriate way to reach that objective. If at any point I become incapable of giving coherent instructions, you have our joint authority to take whatever steps are deemed necessary" I guess if you have really strong feelings about what interventions you want etc then it is worth writing them down. but I didn't have any strong opinions either way because I didn't really know what I was going to feel like. TBH, I don't think they made any difference to the way my labours progressed and were managed by either me or the medical team - with DD, she was so quick the plan didn't even make it out of the bag!

I don't get my next MW appt until 28 weeks! Only get them at booking, 16 weeks, 20week scan, then 28 weeks, 34 weeks and then weekly from 36 weeks. It's seemed like a long wait between appts actually.

23+5

GaryBuseysTeeth Tue 09-Apr-13 12:01:58

StopSitting, I keep on double checking that I haven't missed my appointment as my next one is the last week in May!

The only thing I would like to avoid is forceps...and possibly lying down on the monitor for the entire thing (unavoidable with DS) but they know what's best & they can punch me in the head if it's safer for baby.

For those of you with more than one already, how hard did your first DC find adjusting to DC2+ (and what was the age gap?).
DS will be 20months when this one arrives & we're just ordering 'new baby' books & a newborn doll for him so he 'gets' it a little (hopefully).

22+3

RememberingMyPFEs Tue 09-Apr-13 13:23:46

Jolly I have Hot Milk non-wired and am up to 36GG so far - I think they do go further just not on all sites...

I've just started Hypnobirthing classes, has anyone else read Marie Mongan's Book / done classes / had experience with it?

Hope all are doing ok flowers

Woofers Tue 09-Apr-13 17:09:07

Scan today. All is well And we are team blue. Much to the relief of my dh.

I however have been told to stop dog training as its 'too risky' according mr health and safety dh. And he is currently looking at buying a riffle. Because that is so much safer! Obviously! I am a little pissed off, when I should actually be delighted following today's news.

Grrrr confusedconfusedangryangryconfusedconfusedhmm

wavesandsmiles Tue 09-Apr-13 19:06:22

gary it's a while ago, but there are just under 18 months between DS and DD. he was very unfazed by her appearance, and now they are great companions. When they aren't trying to murder each other!!!

Had a soft doll for him that was completely ignored, just made sure there was plenty of attention for them both, well, particularly him eg when visitors came to meet the new baby.

wavesandsmiles Tue 09-Apr-13 19:08:56

Oh, and 24 weeks today :-)

duende Tue 09-Apr-13 21:22:05

remembering I've read natal hypnotherapy by Maggie Howell, I think the two approaches are similar, but natal hypnotherapy is British and hypnobirthing is American. I have read the book and bought the cd and I listen to it a couple of times a week. I looked into classes but the only ones I could find were £250 and involved five Saturdays, I don't want to spend this much time away from DS when I don't see too much of him in the week.

muddybloodypuddles Tue 09-Apr-13 21:29:54

waves - hope the sickness goes soon!!! That's what I'm planning for DS too, I want people to come round and entertain him rather than helping me with baby / housework - esp as it will be the summer holidays!

woofers - congrats on team blue - I really am not a fan of guns and dh is so we tend to disagree on that subject, he was going to apply for his shotgun licence - erm why?!? (he didn't in the end), just the thought of having them in the house scares me, we've got a little pellet gun that looks like a handgun, dh keeps it on a very high shelf in the garage and DS has never seen it (and never will...) - that's enough for me...

The reflux / heartburn is really starting to kick in now - cue lots of pillows and sleeping semi-sitting up... ho hum, other than that actually feeling quite good at the mo smile, even the pgp seems to have almost disappeared for now.. (sorry for all those still feeling crap)

23+1

muddybloodypuddles Tue 09-Apr-13 21:34:24

remembering / duende - I've got the Maggie book too, have read some of it and its quite interesting, however think I'll wait until next scan (32 weeks) to do any more as if my placenta is still really low I'll be having a c-section anyway!

Woofers Tue 09-Apr-13 22:02:48

Opinions please. this set is advertised as unisex. What do you think? I love stars and the sheets are great fun!

BabyHMummy Tue 09-Apr-13 22:05:22

woofers its great fun and did unisex. Xx

Stopsittingonyoursister Tue 09-Apr-13 22:10:34

Woofers congrats on your scan. Why does your DH feel that dog training is unsafe? How big are the dogs involved?! My DH is a bit of a gun freak, but I absolutely refuse to have them in the house, nor to have them as toys for the kids. However, DS has already developed his "gun noise" the minute he went to playgroup <<sigh>>...

Gary mine have 3 years (all bar two weeks) between them, and they were fine. We showed DS pictures of babies in the womb (age appropriate obviously!) and he felt DD kick. When DD arrived, she brought a present for him, and he went a picked a teddy bear for her that she still sleeps with now. We did get a doll and pushchair for him (much to DH's disgust!) but I have to say that was totally ignored. I made sure that I spent time with DS whenever DD slept, and all the family and friends were very good at bringing little presents for DS when they came to see DD. We did have a couple if incidents where DS tried to get on to DD's baby mat/baby chair whilst she was still in it (hence my username!) but that only lasted a couple of weeks. They play really well together now, it is lovely to see; he is really patient with her, and she worships the ground he walks on!

JollyPurpleGiant Tue 09-Apr-13 22:10:38

£32 grin Definitely unisex though

JollyPurpleGiant Tue 09-Apr-13 22:10:57

hmm, that should have been shock not grin

Stopsittingonyoursister Tue 09-Apr-13 22:12:01

PS Woofers - love the M&P set, especially the wallpaper, would look fab!

Woofers Wed 10-Apr-13 13:49:33

yes the price is a bit gobsmacking!! but im sure they will wash well!!!!!

whilst i dont fully agree with guns and the violence associated with them, we live in the country, and DH is a member of a shoot during the season - we eat what he shoots, there is no shooting for the sake of it. I realise that we may have differing views to others on mn. My beef i have with him, regarding the purchase of ANOTHER rifle is this….

1 - we are having a baby in aug and when does he think he is going to have time to 'pop down the range'
2 - in july i will be giving back my work car, therefore we wont have a car for ds (do you like that?! now im team blue!!!) to be transported in.
3 - the sheets i want are £32
4 - the riffle he wants is £400+++++++
5 - i cant do dog agility incase i fall over. . . . he cant shoot incase he gets shot isnt a valid argument apparently

is that no enough reasons??!!! i think so, he doesnt….. bloody boys and their toys.

I could however compromise - if he bought me a car AND a caravan….

thekatsatonthematt Wed 10-Apr-13 14:35:30

grin at Woofers

BabyHMummy Wed 10-Apr-13 16:07:39

Lol woofers!!!

I get the gun thing totally! Maybe a compromise of he will be busy helping you with ds this year but why not save up and get it next season when he will actually get a chance to enjoy it rather than have it locked in a cupboard gathering dust? my dp keeps asking for new land rovers, mountain bikes, boys toys...my off pat response is once we have everything for the baby and we have sold his house with his ex and we have bought one for ua then he can have new toys. so far its working well...am mastering this art of saying no without actually saying no lol

Abilee90 Wed 10-Apr-13 22:51:44

Birth plans are a guideline. Mine may as well have been thrown out the window. So just gonna go with the flow this time. I do really want a water birth.

Guns are a huge no no in this house. Dh wouldnt even dream of asking. He has his music :/ and grands worth of equipment.

Busy busy busy here atm, so just a quick hello. Huge kicks and hiccups from wee man atm. Which is lovely. Zoo with dd tomorrow and then a rest fri i think.

Hope everyone ok.

23+2 xxx

This thread is not accepting new messages.