Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Maternity Book Club

(8 Posts)
HillyMcGrew Fri 30-Sep-11 22:11:32

Just testing the waters really, but is anyone interested in a maternity/maternity leave book club?

I've heard tell it's quite hard to fit in books once el bambino arrives, and was wondering if there are any other avid readers out there going all misty eyed at the books they won't manage to sit down to for the next decade...

...any takers?

Cherrypi Sat 01-Oct-11 08:27:26

Sounds like a good idea. I thought I'd be able to read while breast feeding. Am I bring naive?

HillyMcGrew Sat 01-Oct-11 09:35:37

Apparently those Kindle thingies are good for that as you can hold and read one-handed, but I just don't know if I'd personally be comfy not having paper in my hands. When are you due?

Cherrypi Sat 01-Oct-11 12:41:53

My husband spoilt me by buying me a kindle for our anniversary. Reckon it will work nicely if baby doesn't vomit on it. December you?

HillyMcGrew Sun 02-Oct-11 12:27:11

28th November, and lucky you. Am considering hinting for one if one-handed page turning goes badly/baby feeds for long periods. Currently just looking forward to the beginning of maternity leave in four weeks, building up a good book pile. What genres do you tend to go for?

Kayano Sun 02-Oct-11 12:35:34

I have a Sony ebook reader and I love it.
I intend to read while BF too or when baby sleeps if I also don't need to sleep/ clean grin

I have struggled to read being pregnant, I'm so tired!!! Need a kick up the bum lol

Cherrypi Sun 02-Oct-11 14:29:13

I like modern fiction. I normally like crime with female protagonists but have gone off it when pregnant. I really went off reading in general for the first trimester but back into it now. I do keep nodding off though. What genres does everyone else like?

HillyMcGrew Sun 02-Oct-11 16:59:57

Ooh, a bit of everything really. I can't say I've ever gotten into chick lit, military stuff or sports writing, but I wouldn't rule them out. My current genre-crossing reading list is:
Commuting: Fountains of Paradise, Arthur C. Clarke;
Bedside: Daughters of Kerala, short stories, assorted authors;
Loo: The Charm of Birds, Viscount Grey of Fallodon;
Bath: Guardian Saturday supplements (but only for reasons of not wrecking my books, or it'd probably be a Jeeves & Wooster round about now).

Have just dropped hints at DH regarding Kindle type device and BF - 'the benefits of breastfeeding should include expansion of mother's literary escapes...'

Anyone got a book they're really keen to start on that we can all look into to get us going?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now