Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Is this an unnecessary blood test?

(4 Posts)
heartmoonshadow Sun 11-Sep-11 10:23:59

I am on my 2nd pregnancy and I have been asked to go for a blood test for sickle cell and thassasemia (sorry no idea how to spell!) to see if I am a carrier. I have also been asked to test for HIV etc later down the line i.e not screened at this test.

Whilst I can appreciate that my HIV status may have changed as far as the medical profession are concerned as I have had sex between now and last time and I am happy for them to test me for this as I know it is negative. But surely if I was not a genetic carrier first time around I wont be now and therefore this is a pointless waste of time for a needle phobic woman like me!

Would you go for the

kat2504 Sun 11-Sep-11 14:40:23

It's routine ante natal booking tests but you are within your rights to refuse any aspect of the test. I think they combine this one with the test that evaluates high or low risk for abnormalities though don't they? So you'll have to have a blood test anyhows unless you turn down all screening.
If you don't want to be tested for anything in particular you can just turn down that element of the test.

heartmoonshadow Sun 11-Sep-11 16:59:42

thanks kat,

I will go for the test i just see it as pointless really but my midwife is a battleaxe and i could do without the stress from her really. Last time i as pregnant she was off sick from my 28 weeks so fingers crossed - no i shouldnt be so ungrateful really!

notlettingthefearshow Sun 11-Sep-11 17:53:08

Yes I think you can opt out of any of the tests, but as Kat says, they are all at the same time, so there wouldn't be much benefit. Good luck with the needles!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now