Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

December 2011 - Support tights time!

(1000 Posts)
BeeMyBaby Wed 07-Sep-11 18:00:44

Had no idea what to call it, sorry. Just googled third trimester and that was the recommendation...

BeeMyBaby Wed 07-Sep-11 18:02:16

Also sorry I filled up the last space in the last thread blush, didn't realised it had got to that point. I'll just keep apologising for the rest of the evening...

sevensevenseven Wed 07-Sep-11 18:07:49

Just checking in!

BeeMyBaby Wed 07-Sep-11 18:12:10

Okay - I'm done apologising! I've had enough! I've grovelled for about 8 minutes now, and I need to ask a question! (lots of exclamation marks there).

Had a MW appointment today and she said that they were advising all pregnant women in Scotland to have the flu jab, what do others think? I thought babies would be out by the time flu really hit? I was offered the swine flu during the last pregnancy and refused, but perhaps the flu jab is safer (older, more tests run), etc?

HoneyLovesCake Wed 07-Sep-11 18:12:59

grin well, I'm wearing a belly bra today so it seems particularly apt.

HoneyLovesCake Wed 07-Sep-11 18:21:36

Bee Isn't swine flu included in the seasonal flu jab? Personally I'd need clarification before making a decision. Tough one though, I usually get every virus that's going around.

As for the co-sleeping cribs only going up to 6/9 months; I was planning on bedsharing with a bed guard/rail once LO has grown out of it as DP's more comfortable with it once they're older.

HoneyLovesCake Wed 07-Sep-11 18:25:38

Oh & seven birth balls apparently open your pelvis to allow LO to manoeuvre into the best position which is especially useless towards the end of pg to help prevent breech.

Can you tell I've got serious baby brain today by the multiple posts smile

msbuggywinkle Wed 07-Sep-11 19:06:46

aethel Thank you! It seems to be triggered by heat, I was paying attention today and it vanished as soon as I cooled down and came back as I got hot (day at the sweltering museum)

seven They basically put you into a supported squat, great for foetal positioning.

bee I won't get the vaccine, I would only get it if I had risk factors outside pregnancy as I tend to react to vaccines in general and am usually ill for a few days afterwards, not great with the DDs.

Am sooooo tired, 5 hours on my feet at the museum has killed me. It was brilliant fun though and great to see all our HE friends who had been away over the summer.

figgygal Wed 07-Sep-11 19:46:52

Just checking in on the new thread.

aethelfleda Wed 07-Sep-11 19:52:57

Hiya girls!

bee: the flu jab is now the same as the swine flu. Please everybody do get this one- flu usually goes up some time in October/early November. Last year, the most severely affected women (as in ITU/babies while in a coma mums) were those right at the end of pregnancy ie potentially us lot. Even standard swine flu lays you right out for a week- not fun if you have a newborn. Ring your GP first week in October as that's when flu clinics should start coming in. As preg ladies we are all "high priority", even if usually well.

seven birth/gym balls are very comfy to sit on when reading/watching telly.
If you're over 5foot7 you may need a big 75cm one, but I'm five eight and my 65cm amazon gym ball seems fine.

And just failed the "get my matb1 form" attempt- work wanted it asap but i have to see the GP to get one. Waste of their appointment but they insisted I book in.

LittleMissFlustered Wed 07-Sep-11 20:33:02

<floats through on the way to make a bacon sandwich>

plupervert Wed 07-Sep-11 21:08:37

I saw the "support tights" strapline and was immediatel suspicious that someone had been spying on me. shock Think I am getting varicose veins - bugger.

Following on from the discussion at the end of the last thread, balls make your back feel absolutely lovely, as though you are in water and suddenly lighter. I saw a physio a few weeks ago (and lost my post about it, but decided not to re-post, as it was a moan about falling apart), and she recommended a couple of my exercises be done on the ball. I had lost the closing plug for my existing one (in the last move, or last but one), so bought another gym ball from Argos for £6.99, and as it had two plugs, now I have a ball downstairs and one upstairs! smile

I saw my mother's 'flu jab leaflet today, and a major contraindication is if you are allergic to any egg products. Does that sound as though it could be the problem for you, msbuggywinkle?

LittleMissFlustered Wed 07-Sep-11 21:22:11

plu Support tights, or just nice comfy supportive leggings? wink

I have given up on jeans. I love them, it's cold enough for them, I just can't bend in themsad

I may have to resort to leggings. If I do I will need new tops too though, as I have nothing that goes far enough south to even consider them right now.

LittleMissFlustered Wed 07-Sep-11 21:25:37

Aaaalso. Gym balls. Bloody fabulous things they are. I spend a third of my labour with my son on one. I was sat with my hips tilted just so and a student midwife trying to shove her fist through the base of my spine ease the back pain. Bliss! Thoroughly recommend them to everyone. Just keep the cats away from them. The pain you give yourself when you laugh for a solid five minutes after the most stupid of felines falls off it is not good! He survived (his pic is in my profile as proof) but his ego was dented for a full ten minuteswink

plupervert Wed 07-Sep-11 22:19:47

LittleMissFlustered:
We-ell, if it is varicose veins I'm getting, it's support socks for sure!

Don't lots of jeans have lycra in them? My maternity ones do. Or is the bending a bump issue? I sympathise; my waist is now what it was at 9 months last time. shock <- that's a cakehole, by the way! wink

Also: you have hidden your profile, so no affronted cat picture!

plupervert Wed 07-Sep-11 22:21:12

Ha! Just managed to swoop on a moth and smack it down, so maybe I'm not so inflexible (or am a violent harpy, determined to save her precious baby's clothes from moth larvae).

sevensevenseven Wed 07-Sep-11 22:21:25

Thanks for all the advise on balls, I've just ordered one from eBay, hopefully it'll arrive soon. I've had back pain on and off since the beginning (it was actually my first pregnancy symptom before I got a + test!) but it's been really bad today.

I'll definitely be getting the flu vaccine if I'm offered one (I assume we all will be). DH works in a pub so usually comes into contact with every bug going around. He's normally fine but always passes them onto me.

sevensevenseven Wed 07-Sep-11 22:26:06

By the way I nearly wet myself when I sneezed earlier, emergency pelvic floor exercises are needed!

Baby is really high up tonight, I think things are getting squashed as I'm more breathless than usual.

plupervert Wed 07-Sep-11 22:35:19

Hope your ball helps, seven! The first time I tried one, I was ecstatic!

I'm going to get the 'flu jab too, I think. DS had one last year (he has asthma), and made it through the winter without being hospitalised with wheezing problems, something which has happened pretty much every autumn/winter since he was 6months, poor little thing. It could be a coincidence, but at least he didn't have an allergic reaction to the jab, so it doesn't seem to hurt him....

LittleMissFlustered Wed 07-Sep-11 22:44:36

My profile says it's set to visible... <slaps the technology>

As for the jeans, I am fat as well as pregnant. Never helps with the denim. I have one pair of stretchy bootlegs left that will move with me, but they need a little tlc in the crotch area. I'll sit and patch them at the weekend.

Right, my bacon sandwich has been consumed, and I need to go feed the tumbler before I drift off to bed. This week is dragging, though it is nice to be back into a routine.

plupervert Wed 07-Sep-11 22:53:31

Guess I've got to go to bed without seeing a recently-dumped cat, as it's not working for me!

Good night, all!

P.S. BTW, kri5ty, how are things going with your vertigo?

Awomancalledhorse Wed 07-Sep-11 23:13:56

Oi! Could you all stop writing so much when I'm away, makes it bloody hard to keep up. grin
Also, am I too immature to keep this LO, as I internally snigger everytime one of you mentions sitting on your big balls?

Seeing my MW on Friday, will ask her about the flu jab. Thanks for mentioning it everyone.

Had to buy an emergency size 16 top in Tesco as my 'maternity' tops no longer fit...depressing as it's rather tight shock

BluebellsintheSpring Thu 08-Sep-11 00:01:09

Glad I found you all! Don't have much time to post these days but a daily update before bed keeps me sane. Thanks indeed for mentioning flu jab - I had forgotten about that one and work in a school so we have an annual bout of various flu viruses every year. Must raise that one with m/w next appnt.

I'm another one who spends spare time sitting on big balls these days - baby has been stubbornly back to back at scan and last m/w appnt, so trying to encourage it to shift round while there is still plenty of room!

msbuggywinkle Thu 08-Sep-11 10:18:09

AWCH nope, 3 children later and I was sniggering at a children's book on Sunday which seemed (well, to me and the student who was reading it to DD1) to be full of innuendo. DDs couldn't work out what we thought was so funny.

Well, itchy panicking over. Seems it is to do with temperature, my skin seems to really dislike being hot. Last night finally got it right, under duvet but with window open. Off to a friend's house this afternoon and I really must remember to book my 28 week appointment this week, I want the first one of the day as I can get DP to go into work a bit late then so DD1 doesn't have to see me have bloods taken!

Awomancalledhorse Thu 08-Sep-11 10:27:06

Glad it wasn't anything serious msbuggy!

Why is it, no matter now little you've got planned (in my case naff all), waiting in for a parcel (or four!) leaves you feeling huffy & cranky??

This thread is not accepting new messages.