Talk

Advanced search

private scan Derby

(13 Posts)
katekate3 Mon 05-Sep-11 16:25:39

Does anyone know if there is anywhere in Derby that will do a private early scan for an anxious mum? Have had 2 mm at 12 week scan and don't want to do that again!

Any suggestions much appreciated, thanks

kat2504 Mon 05-Sep-11 17:06:58

I'm not from that area but look up Ultrasound Direct and Babybond on the internet. They'll scan you from 7 weeks for £99. Won't your hospital do it given your history? Just google Ultrasound Derby and see what comes up if there isn't a babybond near you.

Good luck! I'm also on pg number 3 after 2 missed miscarriages so I can relate to the anxiety.

katekate3 Mon 05-Sep-11 18:35:00

Thanks for the reply. Last time the midwife told me they wouldn't scan early, but maybe I should just phone the epau and ask them in a couple of weeks.

Biscuitsandtea Thu 08-Sep-11 12:33:56

Hi Kate,

Congratulations on your pregnancy smile

Sorry for the late reply - only just seen the thread

I couldn't find anywhere that did an early scan in Derby, but we did find plenty in Nottingham. There is a place called ProScan on Regent Street in Nottingham (in The Park) and they did an early scan for £75 (rather than £100 ish for BabyBond / Ultrasound Direct). However I think Babybond do have a branch in Nottingham too (very near to Pro Scan I think) (and when I went on the Ultrasound Direct website it seemed to give the same address so maybe they are related?) but you'll probably be looking at £100 there.

I did phone the Royal Derby EPAU too just to see if there was anywhere at the hospital that did them privately (since there are private IVF facilities etc there I did wonder if they might) and there wasn't.

Oh, and I think I found online that QMC will do private early scans but only on Tuesday evenings and Sunday afternoons or something - we couldn't go there because of looking after DS.

You might find your m/w or GP would be able to refer you for an early scan (I had a m/c then a successful pg with DS and they wouldn't offer me one this time, but guess it depends on your m/w!). Often though they won't refer you unless there is bleeding or something of particular concern or you've had more than 3 m/cs (which fingers crossed you won't!)

It seems so harsh I think as it is so stressful once you've had a m/c - but I guess at least we have the option of going private these days?

Anyway - good luck smile

katekate3 Thu 08-Sep-11 20:01:21

Hi Biscuitsandtea,

Thanks for the info, really interesting about QMC as DH working there at moment, so might fit in.

Will ask my m/w when I see her, but too nervous to make appointment yet (wimp).

I have had m/c followed by 2 successful preg with DS and DD and then m/c, so I doubt I'll be referred, as tried withe last preg and was told not possible.

Presumably, if I went to proscan they would be able to fit me in at a time that suits me, and also quickly? I guess that,s the whole point. Tricky to get childcare so an evening option would be much better for us. Have friends who have taken their DC to scans, but I just couldn't.

Thanks again

Biscuitsandtea Thu 08-Sep-11 20:16:34

I guess they should be pretty flexible. We went on a day that DS was at nursery so we wanted it in the middle of the day rather than evening, but the appt was super quick. Think our appt was for 10 past 2, we got there at 2 and were out by 10 past! DH said it was the quickest £75 he'd ever spent! grin

Good luck though - these early weeks are sooooooooo stressful!

Biscuitsandtea Thu 08-Sep-11 20:17:17

How many weeks do you think you are Kate?

katekate3 Thu 08-Sep-11 20:28:13

Imagine being in an NHS hospital for 10 mins for a scan. Hilarious.

But makes for a quick round trip that I could do during preschool/ school time.

Remember being in Derby for more than 3 hours for scan and consultant appointment last time.

five ish weeks i think. so v v early days

Biscuitsandtea Thu 08-Sep-11 20:58:39

I'll remember to block out a morning for our scan then! Thanks for the warning!!

Keeping my fingers crossed for you for the forthcoming weeks smile

YBR Fri 09-Sep-11 07:23:42

I also had 2MMC, and my GP referred me to EPU for an early scan; he was very understanding about how anxious we were 3rd time round. This was in Leicestershire.

Perhaps your GP might be more helpful than your MW? For us it was just that we we not able to see the MW until after the age both previous pregnancies had died.

katekate3 Fri 09-Sep-11 13:40:28

Thanks YBR, you might well be right, and the GPs I've seen at the surgery in the past have all been very nice. I can easily call and ask.

But just seems so early to be trying to book in a scan. Not normally one to fret about pregnancy, but think this may well be our last shot. Have even given up alcohol and caffeine and completely cut down on exercise, is case any of those things help.

Thanks for your suggestion. Did things work out for you 3rd time round? Having mmc is really hard isn't it?

YBR Sun 11-Sep-11 11:43:20

Currently I'm 25+3 and it seems to be going well. Number 3 was that bitter win-win situation where either it works or they start investigating.

Btw, they won't generally do ultrasound until you think you are 8weeks because they can't be sure of seeing what they need to - a heartbeat.
This time around I turned out to be 6+1 at the early and they did see a heartbeat using the [ahem] internal probe. blush We were still anxious until the 12wk scan showed things were still fine.

katekate3 Mon 12-Sep-11 18:51:03

Have had plenty of internal scans and makes me feel quite panicky just thinking about it. Which is not rational at all, as we've had both good and bad news following these scans. Completely freaked out having my last smear test though- the nurse thought I was a complete loon. So 8 weeks sounds like an excellent date to aim for.

Glad things working out for you this time round.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now