Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Can anyone give me info on the mobile epidural?

(4 Posts)
becks130 Wed 24-Aug-11 22:37:11

I'm 32 weeks with my 3rd and didn't have anything with my last 2 but due to me 2nd being fairly bad I was thinking aboout having a mobile epidural but don't knw much about them, can anyone help?

Thanks

MeconiumHappens Thu 25-Aug-11 21:14:22

Mobile epidurals are a bit of an urban legend, in that the image is that you can walk around as normal but without pain. In reality they use a difference drug mix which gives you more mobility but for most people, its still more like shuffling to the loo at best/moving around in bed. The downsides, slower progress and more need for intervention, remain though.

Random q but have you tried the birth pool for labour pain relief?

becks130 Fri 26-Aug-11 11:20:18

Hi,

Thanks for your post. I had a bath with my first but that is as far as it went as the birthing pool was occupied sad with my second I was bed bound due to stupid medical staff (this was confirmed by my current consultant who has said that it was completely unnessessary) I am hoping for a water birth this time but not holding my breath due to previous experiences. Have you had a water birth? how was it?

Thanks again

MeconiumHappens Fri 26-Aug-11 11:39:20

I havent but have been at lots and couldnt recommend them more highly, i will def go for one myself if all is well. Some hospitals will let you take one in with you, mght be worth looking into. Women can hire them/buy a cheap 2nd hand one and take it with them, then pop it back on ebay afterwards.
To be honest, with a third baby i would try and aviod the epidural if possible as it will slow things right down and often 3rd babies are quick, the pool may just give you the relief you need whilst keeping you nice and upright to keep things moving quickly. Maybe have a chat with your midwife about it, as all depends on your history as to whether the pool would be suitable for you. Good luck, im sure it will all go well. smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now