Talk

Advanced search

relocating to Milton keynes area, help!!

(9 Posts)
BellasYummyMummy Fri 15-Jul-11 08:11:18

We currently live in wiltshire with our two DDs, 3 and 15 months. Expecting DC3 end of Jan. Hubby has just got a job based in MK which is just over a 2 hour drive away, so not really commutable for us. On one hand I am really happy and relieved he got such a great job, on the other i am so sad to be leaving as we have friends here and I have chosen schools and preschools for my eldest DD.

So now looking at MK but looking to stay more on the west side, possibly 45min/1 hour commute for DH so I can be as near my mum as poss (who lives in wales!) but not too sure where to start! Just wondering if anyone can offer any advice and what we should be thinking about.
DH starts next week so we need to sort our house out and decide if we're going to sell or rent it out. Houses around here simply are not selling which scares me, and I dont want to have to wait 6 months for it to sell before we can move as Ill be 9 months pregnant!! My head is going to pop with all the things to think about. sad

MeriNisipPoissons Fri 15-Jul-11 18:19:52

Hi, you night want to try posting in mumsnet Local for nearby mums.

stuffedmk Wed 20-Jul-11 14:51:49

Hi, I'm in MK but don't really know what advise to offer, there are a few dodgy bits of MK but it's not to bad generally. Only thing I would say is that MK is quite expensive housing wise and anywhere that seems like a bargain is probably that price for a reason.
Sorry not much help but didn't want to read and run.

stuffedmk Wed 20-Jul-11 14:55:11

MK hospital has been having a major overhaul of their maternity services (work was being done on labour ward while I was in 4 months ago) and they are very much 1-1 care when you are in labour. A big improvement on when I had my first 10 years ago. So if you hear any horror storries, don't worry they have done a lot to prevent future problems and the care I got was FAB!!

ajandjjmum Wed 20-Jul-11 15:04:31

We started our married life in Olney - which is a lovely market town that gives excellent access to MK.

Kitty5824 Wed 20-Jul-11 19:58:05

I'm originally from Northants, and now have 2 really good friends in the MK area. One in Olney that has already been mentioned and is beautiful, and another to the west in Tattenhoe which is also pretty nice.

takethatlady Wed 20-Jul-11 20:55:13

Woburn is lovely smile

mumtobe2011 Fri 22-Jul-11 16:11:47

I have lived in and around MK all my life, now in Woburn (yes it is lovely), the point about if a house seems a bargain there will be a reason for it is very true. There are some lovely towns and villages around MK.

One thing with MK is that major transport routes are easy to access.

The local site has very few posts and doesn't seem very popular.

summerfruitsalad Fri 22-Jul-11 23:13:23

I love Woburn! It's so beautiful. Used to live in Bletchley which was ok but it has its fair share of crime, as does the town centre, avoid Fishermead, Netherfield and Coffee Hall. On the outskirts Woburn Sands seems pleasant, Stony Stratford and yes Olney is very nice too. Don't know anything about Newport Pagnell but again very accessible to MK. Aylesbury is a good commute to MK and a pleasant town with enough to do. The only thing about MK is that it has zero character, it is basically a very large shopping centre with neighbourhoods surrounding it.

I know someone who commutes from Bicester to MK, takes roughly 30 mins. There are no decent motorways running across country so it could be a bit of pain getting to Wales, DH has travelled to Gloucester a few times and it has taken a while considering the mileage isn't huge.

MK does have excellent transport routes. I gave birth in MK general in July last year, labout care was excellent (had 1-2-1 midwife the whole time but post natal was a bit pants. Got the feeling there weren't enough midwives to go round!

PM me if you'd like any more info, I am due with DC2 on 6th Jan and we will be moving sometime before baby is due too!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now