Talk

Advanced search

What do you tell people when you are not drinking?

(9 Posts)
ScarIettOHara Sat 06-Nov-10 16:43:25

Hello - I've just had my BFP (hope I'm getting the abbreviations right - I'm new to this) confirmed - first time - completely clueless!

It's my DH's birthday tonight and we are going out for drinks with a few friends... It is unheard of me to not drink usually (really - I'm going to miss my chardonnay)and the venue is local so I cannot say that I'm driving... Plus have a few social things coming up involving cocktails (which I have organised!) What do other people say?!

BrainMash Sat 06-Nov-10 16:49:00

Say you're on antibiotics.

or that you've got to drive first thing in the morning.

Congratulations by the way! smile

ShowOfHandsInEpistolaryForm Sat 06-Nov-10 16:49:07

There is nothing you can say that doesn't sound silly and doesn't scream 'I'm pregnant!' Particularly not anything about antibiotics. grin

Go to the bar, get a drink, drink it. Nobody will ask what you're drinking. If somebody offers you a drink say 'I've got one' or 'no thanks' or 'yes please but just an orange juice this time'. You don't need to say anything. If somebody thrusts a drink in your hand say 'thank you' and then just don't drink it. Put it down or give it to your dh.

And congratulations. Have a nice night.

ShowOfHandsInEpistolaryForm Sat 06-Nov-10 16:49:54

x-posts.

Honestly, 'I'm on antibiotics' is French for 'I'm pregnant'.

ScarIettOHara Sat 06-Nov-10 16:53:33

Thank you ladies - I like the 'I'm driving early in the morning' idea... going to tell them I'm getting up early and feel tired (trust me - I look tired!)

BrainMash Sat 06-Nov-10 16:57:00

Ha ha...maybe not the antibiotics one then grin

You could have an OJ and say it's got vodka in it.

Smiler80 Mon 22-Nov-10 14:52:48

Make your DH drink for two - we went for a do a week ago and we constantly inconspicuously swapped our glasses. He'd (almost) finish his glass, put it next to mine; I'd pick up the empty glass for a sip making it look as if I'd just finish the glass.

Worked a treat - don't think anyone noticed I wasn't drinking!

Hersetta Wed 24-Nov-10 13:01:09

Say you were out the previous night, got completely trollied and have a massive hangover so can't face drinking.

Or else do what i will be doing (I got my BFP on Monday and have at least 10 functions with work between now and Christmas) and that is take a drink, glass of wine etc and either sip it or pretend to sip it. Once you've got a drink, no-one will think anything more about it.

MissTea Fri 26-Nov-10 14:15:30

Or drink tonic water with ice and lemon. Everyone will assume it has gin in it. Just make sure you go to the bar when no one else you know is there.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now