Advanced search

To be very peeved that some bloke thinks he's entitled to park his car on my parents drive...

(61 Posts)
glossyflower Thu 26-Dec-13 19:38:25

My parents neighbour has a friend who visits and for the past year sees it acceptable to park on my parents drive.
The drive is big enough to fit 2 cars, but my parents have one car plus I visit often with my baby.
My dad was very sick and since passed away but he asked this bloke to move his car and not park there as it is private property and this bloke asked my dad if he was being racist! This bloke is Czecz - my dad has Eastern European parents himself but as he was so unwell with leukaemia he just left it at that. My mum went round, very angry that this bloke pulled the race card and told him in no uncertain terms never to park on their drive.
Well since then this bloke keeps parking there.
Tonight I had been there and nipped out for 20mins to the shops to return to this cz plate Mercedes on the drive.
I knocked on the door and politely but firmly told him to remove the car and to stop parking there. This bloke has not seen me before so he lied outright to my face and said it was his first time visiting and he didn't know where to park!
Again I reminded him it was private property. He even had the cheek to ask which was my car (parked on the road) and if I was using the drive!
He moved it, but I notice he has a council parking permit displaying his address, no tax (foreign cars need uk tax after 1 year and this bloke has been parking in the drive for more than a year now).
What can I do? What would you do? This guy does eventually move but he's slightly aggressive in his manner and he is not accepting he can't park there! I'm sure the police wouldn't be interested. I'm thinking along the lines of letting down his precious tyres. My mum is planning on getting a chain across the drive and she had been parking her car across both spaces (but annoying when I want to drop in!).
He's a horrid man and I despise how he treated my dad. I don't know if he knows that my dad has passed away but I'm worried for my mum being on her own in the house and if this bloke gets upset with us telling him to move it.

Wolfiefan Thu 26-Dec-13 19:39:28

Call police?

MidniteScribbler Thu 26-Dec-13 19:42:18

I think the chain or barrier sounds like your safest bet. A bit of a pain, but if there's no option for him to park there, then you avoid the argument altogether. She could always give you a copy of the key so she doesn't need to come out when you come for a visit.

Its not really a police matter unless he starts getting very aggressive.

Its a civil matter really.

Can your mum not speak to the neighbour instead of the man himself, sometime when he isn't there?

sykadelic15 Thu 26-Dec-13 19:44:43

Can you call a tow truck to take the unauthorised vehicle from private property?

Does the neighbour own the property? If not you could try contacting the landlord/agent.

You could try calling the police and having this person warned.

You could try calling the council about the vechile including the permit number and how the vehicle has no tax info.

You could try the chain fence OR you could put down some of those cement barriers for a clear delineation OR you could paint an obnoxious yellow line down the middle.

No matter what you do this could cause drama.

HermioneWeasley Thu 26-Dec-13 19:44:49

There was a brilliant thread where some woman parked her car on the OP's drive. She got a neighbour to park across the drive blocking her in and then left a note with an email address so arrange getting it moved. It was fantastic.

HECTheHeraldAngelsSing Thu 26-Dec-13 19:44:53

Id invest in those bollards that you use with a key to either lay flat or stand up because in all honesty i dont think this bloke gives a fuck and the only thing that will stop him will be being physically unable to use the drive.

I know you shouldnt have to and all that but sometimes its a choice between someone utterly taking the piss or you doing something you 'shouldnt have to' . Cos youre not dealing with a reasonable person.

mymatemax Thu 26-Dec-13 19:49:03

what an arse, I would try appealing to the neighbours better nature first (rather than the visitor)
Next time block him in & go out for the evening

SecretNutellaFix Thu 26-Dec-13 19:50:15

Get it towed. It's parked on private property when it should not be.

Serve the aggressive twat right if it is subsequently discovered to have the incorrect tax information.

addictedtosugar Thu 26-Dec-13 19:50:16

If you arrive when he's there, just block him in!

Or, could you Mum park in the middle, making it impossible for him to park on the drive, and then when you visit you could block her in, on the basis she is unlikely to want to go out while your there?

I'm assuming it is clearly your parents drive? Not one that is possibly shared with the neighbours? If not, I'd make sure its marked in some way.

Lweji Thu 26-Dec-13 19:54:17

Check this.

You may be able to call the police.

But it might be easier to put a chain across the entrance to prevent people from parking there.

MsVestibule Thu 26-Dec-13 19:55:52

What's your Mum's relationship like with her neighbours?

IneedAsockamnesty Thu 26-Dec-13 19:56:13

If its ONE driveway for your mums house and not shared then is there anyway you can visit block him in then go away for a few days

Andrewofgg Thu 26-Dec-13 19:57:19

Chain and two keys. He won't call the police and advertise his untaxed car. What an arse.

glossyflower Thu 26-Dec-13 20:00:23

It's clearly their drive although the front garden is walled the driveway is open but it's obviously their property when you look at it.
I will speak to the neighbour again when he's not there, but then she's a bit of a piss taker too - always asking to borrow gardening tools if you're ever out there using them and once nailed a marquee to my parents fence post (almost pulling the fence down in the process; their own fence is smaller next to my parents fence).
Next time I will park my car behind his, earlier I was just so cross I stomped off round there to confront him!

glossyflower Thu 26-Dec-13 20:03:01

The neighbours are terrible neighbours, my parents have had lots of problems with them and despite asking them nicely not to play their organ all day every day quite loudly, they say they will turn it down, they just keep doing it the next time. This has been so bad that other neighbours in the street have reported the noise to the council and they are at the end house.

soverylucky Thu 26-Dec-13 20:03:15

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

glossyflower Thu 26-Dec-13 20:05:06

Thanks. All great advice. Xxx

IneedAsockamnesty Thu 26-Dec-13 20:05:12

Big post put up and locked after he's parked and don't let him out for weeks

Perfectlypurple Thu 26-Dec-13 20:07:18

Its not a police matter. They cannot get involved in trespass matters. Thats is civil

You can get a lockable parking bollard for under £30 on amazon

mymatemax Thu 26-Dec-13 20:11:00

unless he causes any damage whilst trespassing then it remains a civil matter.
The police may be willing to support you by having a friendly chat and asking them to refrain from parking on your Mums drive.
Get some advice from the community police officer.

CSIJanner Thu 26-Dec-13 20:18:32

If he's been parking there for over a year and doesn't have tax, you could also possibly have a word with the officer that he should have applied for his UK drivers license instead of CZ. There are ways around it - going home for a month so therefore not resident in the UK for 12months straight etc but if he's being aggressive in his tone, then its worth a mentioning if you call 101.

Andrewofgg Thu 26-Dec-13 20:23:46

He may have got a UK licence - it's straightforward if you have an EU licence - but he should tax the car. Then he should foad mend his ways.

PTFO Thu 26-Dec-13 20:25:05

either park far enough back to ensure only your mums car is on driveway or/and block him in, but be prepared to have 'gone on holiday for a few weeks.'

Inertia Thu 26-Dec-13 20:25:23

The danger with somebody like this is that they we will damage your car if you block them in.

I would go for the lockable bollard and also try reporting for tax.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now