Advanced search

to claim JSA when i have been made redundant?

(65 Posts)
lifeafterredundancy Mon 11-Jun-12 15:32:57

worked at same company 10 years - being made redundant at end of july.
getting a £25K redundancy package.

DH works but we need both incomes to sustain a moderate standard of living.

I want to claim JSA while i am looking for work. (The work i do is mostly based in London and I live a £40 train fare away so assuming i get interviews the train fare alone will cost me a pretty penny)

I mentioned this to a friend who thought it was a disgrace as i have a redundancy package to see me through. It's got me wondering. On one hand I think that if i am eligible (a whole other question) then why shouldn't I claim as I have been paying into the system for 15 years and I will be an active job seeker, but I also see my friend's point that I don't need the JSA as I have my redundancy to pay for train fares/petrol etc to get to interviews.

So, I've got my hard hat on! Am I being Unreasonable to claim JSA??

Christelle2207 Mon 11-Jun-12 15:37:55

Yanbu in principle but I wouldn't be surprised if you're not entitled to it, esp iif you have savings. Not aware of the current rules. If against the rules then yabu.

Agree that its not fair if you've paid tax and NI for years, but the way the country works isn't fair.

You friend is bump judge you on the issue though.

SarahBumBarer Mon 11-Jun-12 15:37:58

You will presumably be claiming contributions based JSA - based on the fact that as you say you have been paying in to the system. YANBU at all. JSA is an allowance for job-seekers to pay for precisely the things you want to use it to pay for. Why should you have to use your redundancy for that - that is there as compensation and to tide you over on other bills/mortage rent etc. Your friend sounds like a bit of a pratt tbh

Christelle2207 Mon 11-Jun-12 15:38:16

Your friend is bu

mothmagnet Mon 11-Jun-12 15:38:17

If you have savings of over £6000, you will not be eligible for JSA.

Good luck with job hunting, I am in the same position.

Toughasoldboots Mon 11-Jun-12 15:40:33

Not at all unreasonable, I thought if it was contribution based JSA that savings weren't taken into account though?
Dh didn't claim when he got made redundant for no other reason than confusion about the system.

Jins Mon 11-Jun-12 15:41:25

Yes you should claim it. Your redundancy package and household income won't be considered and you'll be entitled to JSA for 6 months. I got loads of support during this time and got access to business start up advice and grants.

SarahBumBarer Mon 11-Jun-12 15:41:28

Doesn't getting JSA (even the contributions based version) also help preserve your entitlement to state pension. Therefore it would be ridiculous not to claim it - or does your friend thing you should forego some of your pension too as a result of having a redundancy pay out?

SarahBumBarer Mon 11-Jun-12 15:42:18

Toughasoldboots is right - savings have no impact on contributions based JSA - you paid in you get out. Simples.

Jins Mon 11-Jun-12 15:42:55

Yes it covers NI contributions.

HauntedLittleLunatic Mon 11-Jun-12 15:43:20

You should be eligible for the first 6 months. I was (but didn't claim as I wasn't looking for work which made me inelligble IYSWIM).

FiftyShadesofViper Mon 11-Jun-12 15:45:20

If you are entitled to it I would claim it.

However when DS was at uni we put money in an ISA for him each year as our "contribution" to his fees (school advised don't pay directly as student loan not repayable if don't find good job, etc). His JSA was reduced to almost nothing as he had savings and it was way less than £25k

SarahBumBarer Mon 11-Jun-12 15:46:50

Peresumably though Fifty DS had not made any contributions so he was claiming income based JSA and not contributions based JSA. Savings are relevant to income based JSA.

Akermanis Mon 11-Jun-12 15:47:10

The link below tells you what you need to know and yes you will get JSA for 6months and NI credits as well.

Sarcalogos Mon 11-Jun-12 15:49:48

If you are eligible apply.

Also any decent organisation will pay your travel as a legitimate expense for attending interview. Don't forget to claim that as well.

wfhmumoftwo Mon 11-Jun-12 15:50:23

I think you have every right to claim it. You have worked, you have paid into the system, you want another job and will be actively looking for one. This is exactly what the welfare system was designed for. Not sure what you are entitled to but would claim if you can.
At least you will try to get another job which is more than can be said for many people but that is a whole different thread!

Birdsgottafly Mon 11-Jun-12 15:53:07

I would tell anyone that is eligible for a benefit to claim it, if you don't need it donate it to one of the essential charities that have had their funding cut.

I would share less information with your friend.

TroublesomeEx Mon 11-Jun-12 15:54:51

Claim contributions based JSA. It's not based on income so I don't think your redundancy will be counted. You can apply online and then they contact you to make an appointment.

If you're entitled you'll get it, if not you won't. smile

TroublesomeEx Mon 11-Jun-12 15:55:59

mothmagnet I don't think savings are counted if you're claiming contributions based JSA.

You're entitled to it based on your NI contributions, not whether or not you need it to live on.

mothmagnet Mon 11-Jun-12 16:05:40

Ah, thanks Folkgirl, sorry OP if I misinformed, that was what I was always led to believe on the letters.

The forms are quite thorough - I'm a bit sore after ds's maintenance payments have just been taken off my weekly JSA, leaving me struggling. Was hoping to go self-employed, but that will have to wait.

ErikNorseman Mon 11-Jun-12 16:07:37

Redundancy isn't considered as savings for jsa purposes afaik

Hammy02 Mon 11-Jun-12 16:07:39

You can claim. I was in a similar position to you and I could claim. It was only about £70 a week for 6 months max but I claimed it as I was entitled. £25k seems like alot but it soon goes. Especially if your salary considerably contributed to the household bills.

Lulabellarama Mon 11-Jun-12 16:20:08

Sorry for a slight hijack
I am due to leave my job this week after resigning due to moving away from the area (approx 60 miles). Does anyone have any experience of claiming the contribution based benefit in these circumstances?
I'm hoping to find something else quite quickly once we're moved, but we could certainly do with the extra income during the interim.

OutragedAtThePriceOfFreddos Mon 11-Jun-12 16:24:41

I have no idea if you can claim it or not because I didn't claim when I as made redundant, despite others telling me to. I felt like I didn't need it, so didn't claim, but I wish I had. I have a new job now, but looking back it seems silly not to take what you are entitled to. Other people do it and have paid in a lot less, so there is no good reason why you shouldn't claim.

crikeybill Mon 11-Jun-12 16:27:53

I don't think you can claim for a certain amount of time if you resigned Lula because you made your self redundant so to speak.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now