...to not want to take my shoes off...

(249 Posts)
BetterGetTheKidsTeaOn Thu 17-Jun-10 23:09:57

when I've arrived at someone's house for a dinner party having spent ages choosing what to wear, including footwear?
Surely you can't expect people to get dressed up to come round for a meal and then ask them to wander around in their socks/tights (or even worse, popsocks hiding under knee-length boots!)

paisleyleaf Thu 17-Jun-10 23:11:06

They should put dust sheets down. grin

ChuckBartowski Thu 17-Jun-10 23:11:30

Message withdrawn

usualsuspect Thu 17-Jun-10 23:12:31

yanbu ..Its very annoying ..did they provide slippers?

paisleyleaf Thu 17-Jun-10 23:14:59

Maybe it was pouring with rain and you crossed a muddy field to get there, no?

funkychunkymunky Thu 17-Jun-10 23:15:31

I tell people before they come. My mum, dad, sister, MIL and FIL all have a pair of slippers at my house! (Bought by me of course...)

echt Thu 17-Jun-10 23:18:38

To my mind, shockingly rude. It's a very recent fashion, too, so nothing to do with courtesy, and more to do with valuing furniture above friends.

There's a thing called a doormat for wiping shoes, and it's served us well for many years.

usualsuspect Thu 17-Jun-10 23:19:25

Nice party frock + slippers = not a good look

Lonnie Thu 17-Jun-10 23:20:20

were they Manolo Blahnik and were you worried they would be stolen?

IMO YABU their house their rules In mine your not allowed to smoke

Surprise Thu 17-Jun-10 23:21:46

echt you've said it all. Very inhospitable, and totally anal imo.

runnybottom Thu 17-Jun-10 23:23:19

Its nothing to do with valuing furniture above friends, more to do with having babies that lick the floor and beige carpets that are destroyed by peoples filthy shoes.

Most of the world realises that the shoes that you have walked through mud and shit and puddles should be taken off when entering a house, its basic courtesy and hygiene.

gerontius Thu 17-Jun-10 23:25:53

But it's not really a case of valuing furniture over friends. It's of liking both , and wanting one to do to something small to keep the other one nice.

ChuckBartowski Thu 17-Jun-10 23:26:02

Message withdrawn

scurryfunge Thu 17-Jun-10 23:26:40

I would expect to take them off in someone's house and usually expect the same in mine...though no carpets....so I'm not so bothered in mine to spoil a friendship.

Saggyoldclothcatpuss Thu 17-Jun-10 23:33:56

YABU. Your shoes track in all sorts of dirt. I grew up in a no shoes indoor home, (even the meter man had to take his off!) and it is thoroughly ingrained. I ALWAYS take my shoes off when I enter someones house!

Rockbird Thu 17-Jun-10 23:34:09

I've just put new flooring down which we've looked forward to for years. Why should I let it get covered in dirt just so you don't get offended? Are you going to pay to have it cleaned?

That sounds arsier than it's meant to but it's only polite. I always ask shoes on or off when entering someone's house.

cat64 Thu 17-Jun-10 23:41:12

Message withdrawn

Iggisfulloftayto Thu 17-Jun-10 23:41:31

I don't like it when people take their shoes off in my house. Don't much like feet, and would prefer them to be covered at all times.

CatJosephine Thu 17-Jun-10 23:46:36

I would think it most odd if a guest took their shoes off in our house.

warthog Thu 17-Jun-10 23:46:39

i don't want your dog poo and cat piss shoes all over my house. and i don't want your heels scratching my lovely wooden floor. i have under floor heating so you won't get cold.

if you had a good reason for keeping your shoes on, ok. but otherwise...

Firawla Thu 17-Jun-10 23:50:00

i think people should make an exception for going out shoes which are worn mainly for parties and that kind of thing, they wont really be dirty and like op says it will ruin the outfit. we are normally shoes off in our house but when i have parties i would not make ppl take their shoes off. yanbu op, but if it was normal daily wear shoes and were dirty then that would bu to object on that one

Kaloki Fri 18-Jun-10 00:36:49

I've never understood taking shoes off for a party either. IMO it looks weird, and tkaes the party atmosphere out of it.

Also I wear high heels so I am a more level platform with other people (4'10") so find it really frustrating being relegated back down to navel height.

creamymilk Fri 18-Jun-10 02:11:08

YANBU

toccatanfudge Fri 18-Jun-10 02:19:37

ok- on previous similar threads I've asked about the small children aspect of not wanting shoes in the house and whether those small children are allowed to play/sit/crawl outside in the garden/park/wherever.

Tonight's question - I take it all of you "no shoes in the house because they're DIRTY" people don't have any pets like cats or dogs???

toccatanfudge Fri 18-Jun-10 02:19:37

ok- on previous similar threads I've asked about the small children aspect of not wanting shoes in the house and whether those small children are allowed to play/sit/crawl outside in the garden/park/wherever.

Tonight's question - I take it all of you "no shoes in the house because they're DIRTY" people don't have any pets like cats or dogs???

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now