Talk

Advanced search

aibu to take dd2 out with chicken pox

(75 Posts)
thesecondcoming Thu 13-May-10 16:21:14

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

compo Thu 13-May-10 16:22:40

Well if she feels up to it and is no longer contagious the fresh air will do you all good

LetThereBeRock Thu 13-May-10 16:22:45

YABVU if they aren't scabbed over. If not she is still infectious.

LetThereBeRock Thu 13-May-10 16:23:25

Contagious even.

overmydeadbody Thu 13-May-10 16:23:30

No of course not. Take her out.

DS would have gone crazy if I'd kept him in.

They \are most contageous before any spots appear anyway.

fortyplus Thu 13-May-10 16:23:54

Chicken pox can be fatal to pregnant women who haven't had it already. But I wouldn't have thought a child with spots for several days would pose a danger outside. I'm sure someone will be able to give a better answer though!

LIZS Thu 13-May-10 16:24:16

Sorry yabu, by all means go tot he house but not to somewhere where she can mix with other unsuspecting children while contagious even outdoors.

LetThereBeRock Thu 13-May-10 16:25:25

That's true OMDB but there's a difference between that when a parent is unaware their child has chickenpox and knowingly risking infecting others.

RedOnHerHead Thu 13-May-10 16:25:45

Someone could be there who is pregnant - or you could walk past someone who is pregnant - my sis actually has an illness that if in contact with chicken-pox, could actually kill her. I would say NO. You don't know who you could come into contact with, and its not fair to put people at risk like that.

fortyplus Thu 13-May-10 16:29:58

Advice from NHS www.nhs.uk/conditions/chickenpox/Pages/Introduction.aspx

Edited highlights... doesn't seem to indicate that child should have to stay away from public places!

Chickenpox is most infectious from one to two days before the rash starts until around five days after the rash starts. Children should stay home from school and adults should stay off work until the condition is no longer infectious.

The Health Protection Agency recommends that children should be kept away from schools, nurseries or childminders for around five days after the start of the rash.

It is also best that you or your child avoids contact with:

•pregnant women
•newborn babies
•anyone who has a weak immune system (the body’s defence system), such as people having chemotherapy (a treatment for cancer) or those with HIV or AIDS

DilysPrice Thu 13-May-10 16:29:59

Park should be fine if they're roaming free in the grass, playground wouldn't be OK (probably the single most likely place to bump into pregnant women and very young children).

Is DD in a pushchair (or small enough to squeeze into her old one? If you keep her firmly strapped in until you reach the wild open spaces then she's much less likely to touch someone (that was what I did when I was forced to take contagious DD to Sainsburys).

MumNWLondon Thu 13-May-10 16:31:44

Personally I wouldn't take to the park, could be other children / pregnant women there although totally reasonable to take in car to a friend's house if they are aware etc.

Chicken pox is most infectious BEFORE the spots come out, if no car I would take a child out if I needed to inside a buggy with a raincover over to ensure they didn't infect anyone. I would not let them play in the the park.

thesecondcoming Thu 13-May-10 16:31:48

MrsJohnDeere Thu 13-May-10 16:33:15

Yes, YABVU.

if you must go out just do the visit to their house for tea (if going by car).

I've gone on about this on MN 1001 times before but my ds1 was born with chicken pox and was seriously ill for the first few days of his life. I had had chicken pox as a child and assumed I was immune. I wasn't aware of having been in contact with anyone who had it.

thinker Thu 13-May-10 16:34:47

I`m pregnant too and crapped myself when kids got it, had a test at GP and i am immune luckily, but it isn`t worth the risk. Also new born babies could do without catching it apparantly.

thesecondcoming Thu 13-May-10 16:35:24

fortyplus Thu 13-May-10 16:41:30

Even more edited highlight...

The Health Protection Agency recommends that children should be kept away from schools, nurseries or childminders for around five days after the start of the rash.

It doesn't say stay away from playgrounds!

Ivykaty44 Thu 13-May-10 16:42:20

I got chicken pox for the first time when I was pg - people are so fucking selfish coming out and spreading it, there was no injection then against it and no one could tell me if it would affect my unborn baby sad

Stay in doors with cp children until it is all scabbed over

compo Thu 13-May-10 16:48:58

I really don't think mrsjohndeere was kidding from the tone of her post sad what a nightmare it must have been sad

RedOnHerHead Thu 13-May-10 16:49:02

I agree IvyKaty44 - it's just for a few more days. But OP did say she would just go to the other child's house and not the park, so i think problem is sorted.

ArthurPewty Thu 13-May-10 16:51:40

Message withdrawn

thesecondcoming Thu 13-May-10 16:54:20

MintHumbug Thu 13-May-10 16:55:32

You should not go anywhere where you could give it to a baby or pregnant woman especially. It is very contagious (by touch, by touching shared surfaces and airborne) and it can be fatal to a pregnant woman and her baby (rare but it happens. It causes varicella pneumonia). It can also cause very severe abnormalities in an unborn child and an overwhelming infection in a newborn.

If your friend doesn't mind then by all means go there to visit though. I agree its mind numbing to be stuck in all week with a child who is contagious but not feeling too bad but you just cannot risk passing it on to someone who's whole life could be affected by it (some personal experience so apologies if sounding melodramatic)

thesecondcoming Thu 13-May-10 16:57:07

RedOnHerHead Thu 13-May-10 16:57:33

Not all mothers who have had chickenpox are immune, so who can tell if the newborn is immune or not? There are other people though who can get seriously ill from being in contact with chickenpox - My sis has Stevens Johnson Syndrome, which is very serious and life threatening. If she gets into contact with coldsores (herpes simplex) or any other herpes related infections (such as chickenpox) it WILL trigger an attack, which causes her body to reject her skin and internal organs. She can die from it, and at the moment she is pregnant too. But please remember people, it's not just those who you can physically "see" as being at risk, there are others who could be at risk too, not just pregnant women. Chickenpox is contagious until the last spot has crusted over. Stay indoors until then. It's not that long really is it???

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now