Talk

Advanced search

AIBU to be in a state of ukulele-induced bliss ....

(21 Posts)
ASmallBunchOfFlowers Sun 02-May-10 12:22:39

... and need some ukulele talk?

Saw the Ukulele Orchestra of GB last night. Need to find people who understand. Anyone around who remembers the thread about Jonty? grin

SloanyPony Sun 02-May-10 12:27:56

YABVVVVVU grin

BAFE Sun 02-May-10 12:34:08

YANU - I totally understand.

I love em.

pointydog Sun 02-May-10 12:38:43

yes, I remember a ukulelel thread. I need to practise a bit because I think I am meant to be playing a toon on Thurs.

paisleyleaf Sun 02-May-10 13:09:45

I hear you
I may have linked to it on the Jonty thread, but I do love listening to this guy
My DD's been tinkering about on my ukelele more than I have - then it's in a constant state of needing retuning.

ASmallBunchOfFlowers Sun 02-May-10 19:22:02

Thank you, ladies, for your understanding! smile

iloveasylumseekers Sun 02-May-10 19:22:50

I'd love to see them live. They're FAB.

LunaticFringe Sun 02-May-10 19:30:22

Message withdrawn

ASmallBunchOfFlowers Sun 02-May-10 19:40:29

They are indeed fab. And yes they did Anarchy in the UK (with audience participation). And I stood behind Will in the queue at the tea bar, which might not be enough for the Jonty admirer on the other thread but was good enough for me.

BettySuarez Sun 09-May-10 01:07:57

oooooh Hello (waves)

I still love the UKOGB (of course) although getting a little tired of waiting for Jonty to call me. I am sure it is just an oversight on his part.

Were they fab?

purplestripysocks Wed 26-Sep-12 22:19:07

Could I ask what they played? My daughter wants to go and see them (in York, in December) but is afraid of not recognising much (does it matter)?
Did they play much a 21 year old would know?

aldiwhore Wed 26-Sep-12 22:22:40

I have no idea what you're referring to as its outside my bubble of knowledge, but I LOVE the Ukulele, its a firm Friday night friends round for dinner instrument and the corner stone of camping.

Link please? smile

Gentleness Wed 26-Sep-12 22:29:53

They are truly brilliant. It took some heavy persuasion from dh to get me to my first concert and I embarrassed myself by turning to him every 5 minutes and saying, "They're just so CLEVER! It's so CLEVER!"... It felt like they were having a lot of fun and it was infectious.

I was pregnant with ds2 at the time and he was clearly loving it - my belly was visibly dancing. He went absolutely bonkers for "Yessir, I can boogie". It was obviously the start of something as he shows a distinct preference for 70s disco music still.

We've booked to go again, 2 days before the official due-date for dc3. Silly. But also necessary. Baby had better be late.

Skellig Wed 26-Sep-12 22:30:13

YANBU! They are totally wonderful and amazing live. Jealous. grin

KRITIQ Wed 26-Sep-12 22:38:37

OOooh, yes, smashing. Love their "Theme from Shaft."

Shagmundfreud Thu 27-Sep-12 07:22:33

YANBU!

Haven't seen them live but have watched many of their YouTube vids.

My favourite songs they do are Teenage Dirtbag, and Talking Heads Psycho Killer.

DS (9) gets a Uke this week at school and will be bringing it home to practice. I've enthused him for playing by finding him a YouTube clip of a brilliant Chinese player playing the Super Mario theme tune on the ukelele

Shagmundfreud Thu 27-Sep-12 07:24:21

Oh my god - so many 'playing's blush. Typing on an iPhone with a shattered screen and can't see what I'm writing!

CogitoErgoSometimes Thu 27-Sep-12 09:29:43

YANBU... love the UOGB to bits and saw them last year in my home town. The audience had a fair few white-haired old ladies who were all nodding along to Anarchy in the UK and then joined in on the chorus. A hundred quavery voices singing in unison. If anything, they were funnier than the band. "Get pissed and destroy responsibly" everyone ....

TittyWhistles Thu 27-Sep-12 09:41:22

Don't know them but I play! Could talk about it for days. I have a gorgeous uke which was a very expensive present to myself. Best £ I ever spent and its the one thing I'd go back in for if there was a fire. (Sorry dcs and DH)

clumber Thu 27-Sep-12 18:46:44

Try also the Everly Pregnant Brothers (lots on Youtube)

halfnhalf Thu 27-Sep-12 18:55:37

Seen them twice, and looking forward to seeing them again. My favourite is Psycho Killer. Off to watch them on Youtube ...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now