Talk

Advanced search

AIBU to send my boys to school in shorts next week?

(53 Posts)
helyg Tue 06-Apr-10 11:07:14

I have 2 DS, aged 5 and 7. I have celarly been feeding them too much as they have both shot up in height over the past month or two, and their school trousers have taken on a rather cropped look...

I have already got school trousers for them in the next size up, but as it is the summer term I am thinking about sending them in shorts. I like them to have new trousers when they go back in September (I know this an irrational reason, but humour me) and if they go to school in shorts this term I can save their next size up trousers for then. Also the new school trousers are slightly too long just yet (they are both at that annoying in between size point) and so would need taking up slightly.

Have tried the shorts on them and they look lovely, in that Just William kind of way...

However, it is only April. It snowed here last week. Will my neighbours phone Social Services if I send them out in shorts?

mnistooaddictive Tue 06-Apr-10 11:10:16

If you don't mind them freezing and shivering all day go for it!grin
Schools are cold places at the best of times so I would send them in trousers. Can you not unpick the hems on their current trousers to make them a bit longer to keep them going until it is warm enough for shorts?

MintHumbug Tue 06-Apr-10 11:12:45

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

biddyofsuburbia Tue 06-Apr-10 11:13:19

DSs school insist on shorts next term regardless!!

stealthsquiggle Tue 06-Apr-10 11:14:19

Can't DS2 have DS1's old trousers and DS1 wear the new ones?

If you keep the new trousers until September they will grow out of them before they wear them if they are anything like my DS.

BelleDameSansMerci Tue 06-Apr-10 11:18:48

Their poor little knees...!

MissWooWoo Tue 06-Apr-10 11:25:52

YANBU if you pop a pair of tights on underneath them

stealthsquiggle Tue 06-Apr-10 11:27:56

Next term will be DS's last in year-round shorts [sniff] (that's a sentimental, my-little-boy-is-growing-up-too-fast [sniff], rather than an induced-by-freezing-cold-knees one, BTW)

stoppingat3 Tue 06-Apr-10 11:42:46

Go for it, our school uniform is shorts from Easter to the October half term, they are meant to wear long socks but my 10 year old refuses!

helyg Tue 06-Apr-10 12:27:02

Their school is really warm, they never wear their jumpers inside even in the middle of winter. During playtime they both run round playing football/rugby etc so are warm enough then.

I was thinking myself that it was no colder than my daughter will be in her pinafore dress and socks (she hates tights).

DS1's trousers are too big for DS1 yet. The new trousers are not the problem, I have them already, it's just they are slightly too long. I would be enormously suprised if DS2 has grown out of them by September, he is borderline for growth hormone defficiency treatment and so grows very slowly...

Both boys actually want to wear their shorts, so I don't think they would be bothered if nobody else was. Although I think they would be slightly more bothered by wearing tights!

deaddei Tue 06-Apr-10 12:29:44

Mine is going in shorts- he loves them even in year 6!
Scoots a mile and a half to school and back, so his little legs will be nice and rosy!

themildmanneredjanitor Tue 06-Apr-10 12:31:23

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

CMOTdibbler Tue 06-Apr-10 12:32:35

The school DS will be starting in September has them in shorts all year round till they are 9 (I think). When we visited in December they didn't look cold

helyg Tue 06-Apr-10 12:33:02

Mine cycle to school, so shorts are actually more practical for that. Nice rosy legs too grin

MaisietheMorningsideCat Tue 06-Apr-10 12:33:20

Shorts in Scotland....brrrrr. Skirts are still being worn with tights (pref. 2 pairs) up here

stealthsquiggle Tue 06-Apr-10 12:35:53

[stalker emoticon] - CMOTDibbler, which school? AH?

stleger Tue 06-Apr-10 12:36:45

Our weather forecast for next week is promising. (in Cork!)

helyg Tue 06-Apr-10 12:37:38

Cork is probably closer to us that Scotland TBH, I'm in Wales grin

CMOTdibbler Tue 06-Apr-10 12:52:53

Kings Hawford

Hulababy Tue 06-Apr-10 13:01:00

DD is insisting on going back in summer uniform - so cotton summer dress and ankle socks. It isn't compulsary til May hald term, but allowed from Easter - and there is no way I will get her into the winter uniform of skirt, shirt, tie and tights again now til october half term. She never complans of being cold.

helyg Tue 06-Apr-10 13:13:23

Lots of girls at their school wear their summer uniform from Easter onwards too, and that must be chillier than shorts with a polo shirt and jumper.

stealthsquiggle Tue 06-Apr-10 13:22:58

CMOTDibbler - not the same then. That was an option we looked at but logistics were entirely impossible.

CMOTdibbler Tue 06-Apr-10 21:09:40

Too much to hope that a MNetter would also be a parent there. Am unreasonably nervous about fitting in as a parent for some reason

ABetaDad Tue 06-Apr-10 21:14:07

DS2 was in shorts all the way throygh winter and DS1 who was in trousers for the first time this year wants to go in shorts next week.

Do send them in shorts. Give them a jumper, a coat and long socks though.

MumInBeds Tue 06-Apr-10 21:17:09

I seem like I'm the odd one out, I'd put them in trousers for a couple of weeks before moving to shorts - as much as anything because the way boys grow they might grow out of the new ones by Sept.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: