Talk

Advanced search

Engagement Presents?

(55 Posts)
worldgonemad72 Sat 27-Feb-10 18:09:29

Would you think i was being unreasonable not to give my dsis a present for her engagement (she's having a party Tonight), Ive got her a card. When i got engaged we didn't get any cards or presents but we didn't have a party. What should i do? my dh says just give them a card but i dont want to seem rude or upset her if i dont put anything inside it.

MamaG Sat 27-Feb-10 18:11:08

Depends why

if you're v skint then ok

if you are doing it because YOU didn't get a gift, then you're being a bit mean

roulade Sat 27-Feb-10 18:11:39

I didn't get my sis an engagement present, those are for the wedding itself in my opinion. YANBU

worldgonemad72 Sat 27-Feb-10 18:13:12

We arnt skint, so i guess i am being a bit of a meany. My dh thinks that you should only get cards for engagements for some strange reason.

CelluliteCity Sat 27-Feb-10 18:15:30

Nice bottle of bubbly?

MyThumbsHaveGoneWeird Sat 27-Feb-10 18:17:37

Do people get engagement presents? We got just one and I was surprised and thought it was nice but a bit odd. I've never brought anyone an engagement present, but I always buy them wedding presents. My brother just got engaged and it didn't even occur to me to be honest.

hana Sat 27-Feb-10 18:17:37

but it would be a nice thing to do, what's the harm?

alarkaspree Sat 27-Feb-10 18:22:39

Engagement presents are not the norm, in my experience. I think a card is ample, bottle of champagne would be an extra-nice gesture.

ShirleyAmbrose Sat 27-Feb-10 18:23:32

I would never buy an engagement present. A card, maybe a bottle of bubbly if it was someone close.

PrammyMammy Sat 27-Feb-10 18:32:18

We got friends, a card and a nice bottle of wine, they had a party. When we got engaged we got lots of presents and cards, about 25, we got towels, bed covers, money, drink, meal vouchers, photo frames, and i felt rotten because the couple we bought the wine for, gave us a night at a nice hotel. I had no idea that this happened, i didn't even know you gave gifts, we just gave our friends the bottle because they hosted the party, in the same way that we would take a bottle if it were a dinner party.

octopusinabox Sat 27-Feb-10 18:42:55

I've never known many people buy engagement presents. We did get a couple but they were from elderly relatives.

JaneS Sat 27-Feb-10 18:45:27

YANBU. I've never heard of anyone I know getting engagement presents. Can you just bring a slightly nicer bottle than usual to the party?

worldgonemad72 Sat 27-Feb-10 18:50:14

thanks for all your replies, ive never bought an engagement gift before, just cards. the only reason i asked was that my mum asked what i had got for them. with it being my sisters engagement i'll got a bottle of bubby in the way then. Thanks everyone

MrsC2010 Sat 27-Feb-10 19:00:01

When we got engaged we got little presents from our parents and my Granny, but that's it. I had never heard of engagement presents to be honest. We got cards and the odd bottle of sparkly from friends.

fluffles Sat 27-Feb-10 19:01:55

i haven't given or recieved anything except for a congrats card and a token bottle of bubbly for an engagement.

Coldhands Sat 27-Feb-10 19:05:34

I didn't know people DIDN'T buy engagement presents if there is a party.

We had a party and people brought presents. I had never actually been to an engagement party before so had never thought about it but if I did go to someones, I would take a present.

lilolilmanchester Sat 27-Feb-10 19:06:44

I'd find it hard to go to any kind of party without giving a present tbh, unless, as others have said, you are totally broke. Bottle of fizz would be fine, token gesture.

MrsC2010 Sat 27-Feb-10 19:07:58

Hmmm, true Coldhands...I haven't been to an engagement party as such so perhaps the etiquette is different?

traceybath Sat 27-Feb-10 19:10:22

They're having a party so as others have said I would take a bottle of champagne as a gift along with usual drink if its a house party.

Its your sister - I bought my sister champagne when she got engaged.

lilolilmanchester Sat 27-Feb-10 19:13:03

oh, and just realised it's your sister.... would give my sis (if I had one) an engagement present party or no...

DaftApeth Sat 27-Feb-10 19:13:24

I wouldn't get a household item. Maybe a bottle of bubbly (as you plan to do), book on planning weddings, wedding magazine, lottery ticket.

JemL Sat 27-Feb-10 19:15:58

None of the people whose engagement parties I have been to have actually gone on to get married! Hence I don't buy "proper" gifts - a bottle of bubbly is fine IMO.

TheCrackFox Sat 27-Feb-10 19:18:00

You are so right JemL. Engagement party = no wedding.

Coldhands Sat 27-Feb-10 19:25:59

I had a party and got married! Although it is the only engagement party I have ever been to.

I do have one coming up this year though. My cousin has told me he is going to propose to his GF when they go on holiday in May. I can't wait!

Oh no, what is the ettiquette then? I assume I will be buying a present. May get vouchers as they have recently moved into a flat and are gradually decorating.

kitsmummy Sat 27-Feb-10 19:37:55

From experience, getting engaged doesn't mean getting a present. Going on to have an engagement party however does mean you get gifts. We got no engagement presents. Two months later we had an engagement party (hired a room in a pub, provided bbq food) and we got loads of presents then.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now