Talk

Advanced search

to not want to deal with my landlord in this way?

(7 Posts)
Vallhala Thu 12-Nov-09 16:03:18

I signed my tenancy agreement some year back. At the time my landlord was single so the agreement was solely between him and I. He has since married and I now find his wife on the phone to deal with problems/enquiries. Yesterday I picked up an answerphone message from the landlord asking me to contact his wife at home during the day although he will be there in the evening.

The difficulty is that the wife is awful - very abrupt, rude, and high and mighty and makes me want to be just as unpleasant back, which is not a clever idea of course. AIBU to contact the landlord himself during and if questioned politely point out that it is he with whom I have a contract, not his wife?

Vallhala Thu 12-Nov-09 16:06:10

That should read some yearS back.

BlingLoving Thu 12-Nov-09 16:09:14

I'm afraid it would, and would likely antagonise them both further. She sounds a right PITA, but you can't reasonable refuse to deal with her.

SongOfThePEACHY Thu 12-Nov-09 16:11:25

You can, however, simply call in the evening and say you didn't get the message earlier

Flightattendant Thu 12-Nov-09 16:13:40

He can delegate to whomever he wishes sadly.

I was always glad to speak to my old landlord's wife, she was sensible and slightly less monosyllabic and also possessed a sense of humour.

Sounds like you have got a very insecure lady there...she probably finds authority uncomfortable or you a threat in some way, nothing to do with you of course...just the way some people are.

Just be very very nice and polite to her while remaining firm if necessary - she will respect you more for it.

Vallhala Thu 12-Nov-09 16:19:28

Bugger FA, I didn't look at it vis a vis his right to delegate.

I suppose I have too... perhaps I should ask one of the DCs to answer the phone and deal with the miserable woman next time!

Firawla Thu 12-Nov-09 19:55:35

yeah i think you unfortunately have to deal with her, as he could say she is his agent in a way, and you have to treat landlord/agents in the same way if they have been appointed by landlord. but maybe try to just call in the evening and hope to get him instead

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now