Talk

Advanced search

to start an 'Anxiety' Club of my own!!

(9 Posts)
BigMomma3 Thu 12-Nov-09 14:35:39

Posted in AIBU cos I want replies!!

I have suffered from anxiety about just about everything for most of life and I find that the worst part of it is thinking that you are a bit strange and different from so called 'normal healthy thinking' people and feeling isolated because it is difficult to talk about and for other people to understand. I also do not have a friend in the world (apart from DH) at the moment partly because of moving around a lot and partly because of 'social' anxiety.

I am now taking steps to sort myself out and had a brainwave of starting an anxiety club -basically putting up posters at the DC's school and in the supermarket and inviting like minded individuals to come to my house and have a group chat. It will give people the chance to meet others in the same boat - especially the social phobics because I think it helps to make you feel as if it's not something to be ashamed of.

If I did this would people think it was weird and if you are an 'anxious' person, would you come?

blissa Thu 12-Nov-09 14:38:31

I think it's a nice idea. I've suffered from anxiety for a while now and have found talking to other Mnetters who also suffer has been very helpful.

It is, as you say, very hard for people to understand if they have not experienced it.

AgentZigzag Thu 12-Nov-09 16:40:43

Lol, it's a bit of a standing joke really, like the people at a sleep apnea convention not being able to stay awake. People who have a social anxiety are not necessarily going to want to meet up for a social occasion? grin

fernie3 Thu 12-Nov-09 16:57:24

I have suffered with anxiety for years and if I saw this at my daughters school would come

teatank Thu 12-Nov-09 17:00:31

i have suffered from anxiety since i was 22 i am now 38.i have spent my lifetime on and off medication and have come to the conclusion i would much rather go down the therapy route rather than medicate. so i think your idea is a fantastic idea and would probably consider attending a meeting like you have described. i am on a waiting list at the moment to have cognative analytic therapy so hope this helps me. good luck

Itsjustafleshwound Thu 12-Nov-09 17:05:43

It isn't a daft idea at all - I would most def come to the meetings ...

Good luck !

fernie3 Thu 12-Nov-09 17:08:19

altough I wouldnt have it at your house as you are essentiallty invinting anyone. Maybe just me being suspicious of people!

ShowOfHands Thu 12-Nov-09 17:08:41

I'd really want to come. I'd even say I might. But I'd make an excuse on the day. And not let you know as I'm phobic about the phone.

HTH.

BigMomma3 Thu 12-Nov-09 17:22:21

Ok then. The whole idea would be that people who come would know that others think the same way they do so hopefully they would feel less anxious about coming hmm. Am also not sure about complete strangers turning up who may be axe murderers [anxious emoticon] grin.

I just think that there are plenty of people who are anxious out there so why suffer in silence. In fact this afternoon at school pick up, rather than keep my head down and avert my eyes from everybody as usual, I made a conscious effort to look at other people and noticed quite a few standing alone and looking damn miserable as I probably do!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now