Talk

Advanced search

to think this is just a bit wrong?

(10 Posts)
BettyTurnip Thu 12-Nov-09 11:06:01

This poor woman was maimed by her friend's pet hmm chimpanzee and is now disfigured as a result. Am I the only one to think that it's almost like a circus freak show to get her on the Oprah show to "unveil her injuries" for the first time? Having said that, it is the Sky news website...

There is a place to click further down for pictures. I didn't, tbh. news.sky.com/skynews/Home/World-News/Chimpanzee-Attack-Charla-Nash-Unveils-Injuries-For-First-Time-O n-The-Oprah-Winfrey-Show/Article/200911215451911

Disenchanted3 Thu 12-Nov-09 11:10:23

fucking hell, that poor woman.

most american 'talk shows' are frek shows look at 'maury povich' parading around obese kids and all sorts.

BettyTurnip Thu 12-Nov-09 11:14:11

I sort of thought Oprah was a bit above that (God knows why as I never watch it). I couldn't bring myself to look at her injuries and I am a nurse ffs.

Unbelievably sad for her.

paisleyleaf Thu 12-Nov-09 11:21:52

I remember hearing the 911 call on the news at the time. It was very chilling.

Disenchanted3 Thu 12-Nov-09 11:23:06

why the hell was she in an open space with a chimp anyway?

posieparker Thu 12-Nov-09 11:24:50

Awful. Why oh why do people keep these animals as pets? Selfish twats.

anonymous85 Thu 12-Nov-09 11:30:25

My God that is so sad

Olifin Thu 12-Nov-09 16:19:33

Bloody hell. Poor woman.

I really had no idea that chimps could grow as big (14 stone!) and strong as that. I agree with posie. Keeping exotic or dangerous animals as pets is asking for trouble.

Lulumama Thu 12-Nov-09 16:35:07

I would advise anyone of a sensitive nature NOT to look at the pics or video. it is really shocking

i am disgusted that this woman could keep a pet like this, and that after it had attacked her friend once, she carried on keeping it like a pet

chimps were not designed to be kept in homes watching TV with their owners, she has to live with the horror of what happened to her friend and how her life has been torn apart

i suppose the argment re her going on Oprah is to stop people thinking chimps are always cute and cuddly.

libbygrayhair Thu 12-Nov-09 16:56:44

According to the Daily Mail (I know!) Charla Nash "told Winfrey that she had agreed to let her face be shown to the world for the first time after being told there was a 'bounty' on her picture from U.S. supermarket tabloids."

I've hardly ever watched Oprah, but I think she has more sensitivity than some talk show hosts. If one of the reasons why this lady showed her face on TV was to push away the tabloid scum, then probably going on Oprah is the best way.

She's a very brave lady indeed. I'm not sure I could cope with something as devastating as those injuries.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now