Talk

Advanced search

to expect my yorkshire pudding to rise!!!

(12 Posts)
pjmama Wed 11-Nov-09 16:54:27

I'm doing everything Delia says and it still comes out like a biscuit!

Grrrr! angry

AgentZigzag Wed 11-Nov-09 16:59:25

Hot oil, hot oven and don't open the door after they're in, works every time smile

mmmmm yorkies

southeastastra Wed 11-Nov-09 17:00:19

what flour are you using? don't open the oven for at least 25 mins. also i find 2 eggs better than one

madhairgirl Wed 11-Nov-09 17:01:55

My nanna always said about the 2 egg thing as well. But if it makes you feel any better I once mangaged to make mine rise beautifully, but they had no bottoms, don't ask how??

Hulababy Wed 11-Nov-09 17:02:25

You need a very hot oven and very hot oil. I put the hot tin on the hob, gas lit, when pouring in the mixture.

Do not open the oven for at least 20 minutes once batter is in.

I use a whisk to get lots of air into my batter when making it too, and just before pouring it into the tin.

pjmama Wed 11-Nov-09 17:02:46

175g plain sifted flour, 2 eggs, 100ml water, 200ml semi skimmed milk. All whisked together nicely and popped in smoking hot beef dripping in an oven set at 220C.

I am a bit suspicious that my oven might not be getting right up to temp anymore - would that alone scupper the rising, even if the fat was stinking hot before adding the batter?

I'm a tragic cow and I'm boring myself...blush

pjmama Wed 11-Nov-09 17:04:47

...and my peas have just boiled over whilst I've been faffing about on MN! I wish I were a domestic goddess, but I'm just not grin

southeastastra Wed 11-Nov-09 17:12:29

sounds a bit odd, especially if the fat was really hot. you definitely didn't open the oven?

TeamEdward Wed 11-Nov-09 17:15:19

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

overmydeadbody Wed 11-Nov-09 17:17:22

Delia's recipe always works, so it sounds like it's your ovven temp not getting hot enough.

borderslass Wed 11-Nov-09 17:24:24

also have the mixture of salad cream thickness.

pjmama Wed 11-Nov-09 17:24:31

I'd better get the cooker looked at then, if I seem to be doing everything else right!

Thanks everyone!

The DCs ate it anyway btw, so I guess it can't have been THAT bad wink

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now