Talk

Advanced search

to ask my neighbours how much they spent on their extension?

(8 Posts)
ilikeyoursleeves Wed 11-Nov-09 15:21:04

We are thinking of getting our house extended, pretty much like our neighbours existing extension. I am obviously going to chat to them about us doing it but do you think it's un/reasonable to ask the approx prices they spent? I don't want to come across as too nosy or rude!

Elffriend Wed 11-Nov-09 15:23:36

I think if you asked in a polite friendly manner and explained you were interested in something along the same lines then I would not mind if it were me.

ilovepiccolina Wed 11-Nov-09 15:23:39

I can't think of a way that you can ask them and it not be rude - sorry. Wouldn't it be easier to ring up the company & get a quote?

claricebeansmum Wed 11-Nov-09 15:24:58

I think it would be fine to ask for a "ball park" figure. If they were happy with their builder then you could get in touch with him.

PestoMonster Wed 11-Nov-09 15:25:23

I have to say I wouldn't like to disclose how much our extension cost, so if you were to ask me I would feign ignorance. I think financial stuff like that is personal and your neighbours will probably think that too.

PerArduaAdNauseum Wed 11-Nov-09 15:26:18

Why would it be rude? Chances are though unless it was done very recently their price won't be much of a guideline for you.

Bleatblurt Wed 11-Nov-09 15:26:58

My DH has done this with a neighbour further down the road. They were so NOT offended they invited him in to show him what it was like from the inside. grin

It's not like you are a nosy old biddy, you want something similar yourself. I doubt anyone would be offended in that situation.

Bleatblurt Wed 11-Nov-09 15:28:32

Why is it rude to ask? Genuine question. smile

It's not like you have a notepad and ask them how much it cost, what their income is, how are they paying for it etc. grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now