Talk

Advanced search

A new twist to the grape stealing/forgetting to pay for something supermarket sagas

(21 Posts)

Yesterday I went to M&S, despite only wanting 1 item I got a trolley to put DS (16 months) into so he didn't cause chaos and mayhem running around M&S. There were leaflets in the bottom of the trolley but I ignored those. We bought our item and left. Got to the car, unpacked and strapped in DS, put bag with one item in car, double checked trolley and found a packet of blueberries under the leaflets. Now we hadn't been in the food section so I know it hadn't been DS being light fingered it must have been left over from the previous persons shopping. To take them back would have meant getting DS out again and frankly I am much too lazy. So was I being unreasonable (and a thief) to take them home?

claricebeansmum Wed 11-Nov-09 13:06:17

If it had been me I would have left them in the trolley. They are not mine to take.

bogie Wed 11-Nov-09 13:07:45

I would have eaten them and gave some to ds to keep him quiet o the trip home.

kreecherlivesupstairs Wed 11-Nov-09 13:09:28

YANBU, although I'd probably have taken them back and asked to exchange them. I don't like blueberries.
Our dd once walked out of a very expensive shop in Bangkok with a dog under her arm. No one challenged her and I didn't notice until we were in the queue for a taxi. He is called nick or rob to this day.

HuwEdwards Wed 11-Nov-09 13:10:40

nah, if M&S staff had found them, they'd likely have been binned as a precaution.

You did the only sensible thing.

FimbleHobbs Wed 11-Nov-09 13:11:21

Theft: A person is guilty of theft, if he dishonestly appropriates property belonging to another with the intention of permanently depriving the other of it.

You didn't take it on purpose/knowingly so you are not a thief.

More of a crime for decent food to go to waste imo, I think you made a noble sacrifice in keeping them.

etchasketch Wed 11-Nov-09 13:13:59

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

strongblackcoffee Wed 11-Nov-09 13:20:02

YANBU What a bonus - yum!! grin

nondomesticgoddess Wed 11-Nov-09 13:21:16

I just did something very similar. Had a trip to sainsburys that seemed to last an eternity. Picked up two 'special yoghurts' for each dc. Ds (19 months) sitting in the trolley wanted to hold his so I let him.

When I got to the car I realsied he was still holding it and that it had never been paid for. The idea of dragging both overtired, overhungry, whingeing children (now buckled into the car) back into the supermarket was just too hideous. So I left.

I promptly forgot all about it until I was next in the store and wondered whether I should say anything. I didn't.

I feel a little guilty and slightly unreasonable but there were mitigating circumstances!

VengefulSinner Wed 11-Nov-09 13:26:41

Fimble - but what about 'handling stolen goods'? wink

Rhubarb Wed 11-Nov-09 13:30:29

It's no big deal whatever you did.

I would have returned them to the store as I'm super honest, but if I had a whinging child with me who knows? Perhaps I would have just flung them in and thought nothing more of it.

You didn't deliberately steal them. I don't think it's any big deal.

Blondeshavemorefun Wed 11-Nov-09 13:33:10

"You didn't take it on purpose/knowingly so you are not a thief."

libra did take knowingly - as she knew they werent hers

tbh i prob wouldnt take them home as who knows how long they had been in basket unfridged so would have left them in basket

sleepwhenidie Wed 11-Nov-09 13:33:15

nondomestic goddess - I did a similar thing in M&S when I was pg a couple of years ago (I do blame pg brain).

I used the self service checkout for a trolley load of stuff, had DS "helping" put it through, saw someone I knew and chatted for a min...got out to the car, packed shopping in, strapped DS in carseat - all a bit stressy, sat in my seat with sense of relief to be heading home and then shockrealised I had forgotten to pay! The temptation to just go home was sooo strong, the hassle in getting trolley back, DS out, shopping back in hmm - it was a real dilemma! I did go back in (figured I could never show my face again in there if I didn't), but have to say I wouldn't have bothered for a box of blueberries grin!

ChilloHippi Wed 11-Nov-09 13:38:31

YANBU. I would have done the same.

Seededbiatch Wed 11-Nov-09 13:43:28

I'd have taken the trolley too.

TsarChasm Wed 11-Nov-09 13:46:11

I walked out of M&S in a daze recently with one of their baskets still on my arm and a vest for dd in itblush. I was talking on my mobile at the time.

I was horrified at what I'd done. No-one noticed though and I ran back into the shop. I was in an indoor precinct and it didn't feel like I'd left the shop, but I had.

I think you have to be very careful. Even if it's small, even if you didn't notice, even if it's not your fault, you could potentially get into quite a lot of hot water.

ChilloHippi Wed 11-Nov-09 13:48:37

Seededbiatch, would you have left the leaflets though? grin

Seededbiatch Wed 11-Nov-09 13:51:47

I wouldn't have had a choice, they would have been weighed down by the excess of booty I'd swiped from M+S.

Indith Wed 11-Nov-09 14:01:59

A friend of mine picked up a brolly in a shop and hung it round her wrist while we looked round, she didn't remember til we were over the other side of town! She legged it back to pay and apologise to a very bemused sales woman. I may or may not have nicked a deodorant from Tesco once, I didn't have a bag, just the pushchair as I only needed a few bits, paid, chucked them back in the pushchair, declined receipt, got home and thought hmmm. Ah well.

mrsjuan Wed 11-Nov-09 14:02:16

Well how's this for being an upstanding citizen... A few years ago I bought a sunglasses case. I got out of the shop and opened it and inside were a very expensive pair of sunglasses.

I knew my guilty conscience wouldn't let me keep them so I took them back into the shop & explained. I expected a decent thank you (maybe even a £5 voucher or something) but all I got was an 'oh right - just leave them on the counter'. angry

Vivia Wed 11-Nov-09 14:10:23

Shhh! Guys, you're giving thieves some great tips! wink

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now