Talk

Advanced search

To think that baggage trolleys in an international airport

(13 Posts)
MrFibble Wed 11-Nov-09 10:27:52

AIBU to think that baggage trolleys in an international airport (or indeed any airport) should not be coin operated? Or should I travel with a selection of coins on me so that I can get a trolley in order to cope a little better with the changing bag, large suitcase, assorted handluggage, a broken car seat (thank you Brussels Airlines angry), a 6 year old and a 2 year old?

And yes, Birmingham Airport, I am talking about you.....

So, unreasonable?

MistergodthisisSal Wed 11-Nov-09 10:33:36

Oh, you are most definitely NBU!

The sense of relief when I see a trolley after trying to balance half a house and a toddler on my hips/shoulders/back - can't imagine then finding out I don't have the right coins!!

Stayingsunnygirl Wed 11-Nov-09 10:36:07

The ones at Glasgow Central station are coin-op too - interestingly they can tell the difference between an English pound coin and a scottish one - or at least, that's what I decided when ds1, ds2 and I utterly failed to get any of the trolleys from any of the stands to release with any of our pound coins!

groundhogs Wed 11-Nov-09 19:23:37

Try JFK... who has blooming quarters getting off an international flight FGS?

Was not massively impressed after the 11 hour flight as it was...

hifi Wed 11-Nov-09 20:12:11

luton have introduced this, none refundable so no one takes them back. they then have to employ an army of people to collect them. also a pound to drop off.wtf?

oldraver Wed 11-Nov-09 20:12:13

Oh Birmingham airport is the one that has decided that 'large' items of luggage and that includes pushchairs and I assume car seats, come off a different carousel (No1). One that doesnt go round and round just comes out and ends up at a wall so if you dont get to your stuff in time (because your waitng for your puschchair to come off the SAME carousel as you suitcase) ends up all fallen in a pile on the floor

MrFibble Thu 12-Nov-09 07:05:58

I mean why do they do it? Are they trying to pee people off?

FaintlyMacabre Thu 12-Nov-09 07:23:33

Some of them take credit cards so you needn't worry about a lack of change. How thoughtful hmm.
What happened to the idea of a trolley as a basic customer need?

kreecherlivesupstairs Thu 12-Nov-09 08:07:03

Basic customer needs have been pushed aside in the need for more cash for airlines. Luckily we still have free trolley's at Zurich.

NickNemo Thu 12-Nov-09 10:04:02

Does anyone else also get very very upset when none of the trollies in British airports have a place to stick a toddler in? Try pushing trolley in one hand, pushchair in the other. It just doesn't work!!!

Best trollies I found were in Copenhagen and Paris, with enough space to stick a child on top and all your luggage and surprise, easy to manoeuvere too. The ones in Manchester and Heathrow just go their own way, not the way you want them to go. Whats the use of a shiny new terminal if the trollies are crap?

And don't even get me started on the coin operated that has started in Manchester as well!!! Screeeeeaaammmm!

MrFibble Thu 12-Nov-09 10:56:39

@NickNemo Yep, I do. My left arm has been aching for days since carrying DS (16.8 kilos) and "helping" DD (i.e. pushing it myself with her hindrance - bless her) to push the trolley through a crowded airport.

I am thinking that a 6 hour drive via the Chunnel might be a better option for my next trip to the UK. Grrrrrr.

Who made the decision to charge for trollies? Is trolley theft such a big issue for airports? Is there a thriving black market???

NickNemo Thu 12-Nov-09 12:12:04

Who knows about the trollies? I think the general idea is that they get towed to a drop off point at least so you can get your pound back. However in RL, I just don't see that happening.

And people can be so incredibly rude to you, even when they can see that you're struggling with a full load on the trolley and a pushchair. They will still push past you to get on to lifts etc. Aren't lifts there for people who are generally less able?? It drives me potty... and this is mostly in UK airports. I've been to loads of other countries and bar US, the majority have polite staff who will come over and ask if you need assistance.

kreecherlivesupstairs Thu 12-Nov-09 12:50:45

Mr Fibble, you may laugh about a black market in trolly's. When the new airport opened in Bangkok they had many thousands of free trolly's. When a stock take was undertaken, many thousands had disappeared. Scrap metal value being what it is...............

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now