Talk

Advanced search

/unnatural to care more about some orphaned polar bear cubs

(10 Posts)
SarfEasticated Tue 10-Nov-09 16:32:53

than some stranded teenager who shot their mother

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2009/nov/10/canada-teenager-alive-on-ice

I realise he shot their mother to save his own skin, but he did have a choice about being out there, and they didn't.

<goes off to fret about poor little bear cubs>

Morloth Tue 10-Nov-09 16:38:24

Well he didn't actually choose to be stuck on an iceflow with them.

And if the choice ever came down to me and a polar bear, mum or not then sorry bear.

I wonder whether they are going to do something with the cubs?

StealthPolarBear Tue 10-Nov-09 16:39:25

bronze Tue 10-Nov-09 16:40:04

Nope I'm kind of with you. And he chose to go out hunting so he sort of made the choice to take that risk

Katz Tue 10-Nov-09 16:46:12

but you don't know what he had gone hunting, i doubt it was the polar bear, hunting is a way of life and may be their main source of food. Whilst the death of the polar bear is sad as is the orphaning of her babies, i would rather the boy was safe and sound.

you Tue 10-Nov-09 17:14:02

Mmmm I care much more about the boy frankly. Wouldn't you if it were your son?

SarfEasticated Tue 10-Nov-09 17:20:00

Yes Katz - It just dawned on me on my way home from nursery that he was probably hunting for food rather than for sport, so I was probably wrong to say that.

I do wonder what happened to the cubs though, probably still there sad

Vallhala Tue 10-Nov-09 18:25:08

Shame hhe hadn't be found drowned or frozen to death. I have no sympathy for those who hunt and every sympathy for that dead animal and her offspring. And had he been my child, YES, I'd still be saying the same as if he took part in hunting he would be considered no son of mine anyway.

cookielove Tue 10-Nov-09 18:34:28

i've googled it a bit more, they were hunting for polar bears prob for food, and fur. It also says the cubs were slightly older, prob to old to take into captivity to release later.

you Tue 10-Nov-09 18:43:14

I find that really sad Vallhala sad

I was a vegetarian for 13 years and a vegan for 5 of them (not any more blush but can't imagine disowning my children for anything.

Hunting is a way of life for many around the world, like it or not. Not everyone has the luxury of popping to the local farmers market for some olives and a nice loaf of bread. Crops of carrots and apple trees are quite scarce around the south pole too I'd imagine.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now