Talk

Advanced search

To have given exp's creditors his new address?

(17 Posts)
Flashfried Tue 10-Nov-09 13:28:01

ExP left two months ago and hasn't bothered to inform his creditors of his new address so I have.

He was always irresponsible with money and I took charge of making sure bills were paid on time.

When he left I immediately put a block on our joint account to avoid charges as I knew he wouldn't continue to pay money in to cover our joint bills/debts. He has his own account as do I.

I transferred all household bills to my personal account and e mailed him a list of his creditors (reference numbers etc) so he could organise his side of things. He hasn't angry

Therefore, I phoned each and every one of his creditors and gave them his new address (he is staying with friends) and today he has contacted me fuming and threatening! He says how dare I?

Sorry for the friends but why should I have his debts dropping on my doormat and surely it's his responsibility to see that they are paid. AIBU?

BunnyLebowski Tue 10-Nov-09 13:29:36

YANBU. You did the right thing. He sounds like a twat - let him deal with his own shit.

Flashfried Tue 10-Nov-09 13:30:57

He is a prize one that's for sure. Thanks feeling better already!

littlemoominmamma Tue 10-Nov-09 13:31:27

No! of course you are not being unreasonable!

He is responsible for the bills if they are not yours jointly. He is the one who should appologise to you and his friends. - Arse!

Geocentric Tue 10-Nov-09 13:31:36

YANBU. You don't want his creditors coming round and knocking on your door! Not your problem any more.

winnie09 Tue 10-Nov-09 13:31:59

yanbu

diddl Tue 10-Nov-09 13:32:25

Of course YANBU-his debts,his problem!

prettyfly1 Tue 10-Nov-09 13:41:14

yanbu - well bloody done!!

dilemma456 Tue 10-Nov-09 13:49:10

Message withdrawn

Flashfried Tue 10-Nov-09 13:49:37

He is saying it's because he was in such pain/turmoil he didn't get round to it and that I should have warned him beforehand.

I was just as upset but still managed to sort the important bits - like getting the bills paid!

MamaLazarou Tue 10-Nov-09 13:50:27

YANBU... good for you!

ABetaDad Tue 10-Nov-09 14:01:48

You should get your credit record from Equifax or Experian and make sure he is still not listed as an Associate. If he has debts and he is not paying and still registered at your address it will still show up if someone does a check on you.

Make sure he is no longer on the electoral register at your address.

Contact the credit reference agencies and give them his new address if he is still showing up at your address on the credit check.

I run 10 - 20 credit checks every week and the amount of detail I can see about present and past Associates credit history is astonishing.

Flashfried Tue 10-Nov-09 14:16:41

ABetaDad - Can I get my credit online and will I have to pay? I need to do this.

Flashfried Tue 10-Nov-09 14:17:09

Sorry should read - credit report

ABetaDad Tue 10-Nov-09 14:20:54

Yes I got it free from Experian here

However, when I did it I had to make sure I had cancelled the subscription afterwards as they will charge £5 a month or something like that thereafter.

Flashfried Tue 10-Nov-09 14:25:13

ABetaDad - Thanks very much, will get on to it!

Flashfried Tue 10-Nov-09 14:36:37

Have applied for credit report from Experian and should receive it within two working days - phew, thanks ABetaDad!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now