pmsl grin

JackBauer Tue 10-Nov-09 12:15:07

grin

ChilloHippi Tue 10-Nov-09 12:16:13

heehee

Hulababy Tue 10-Nov-09 12:17:54

grin

nickelbabe Tue 10-Nov-09 12:18:29

ooh, i feel like i'm part of a secret club.
(and i don't eve nhave DCs yet....)

Geocentric Tue 10-Nov-09 12:20:14

grin

twolittlekings Tue 10-Nov-09 12:20:18

I've just bought a whole load - DS has them sometimes as a treat and they are good to take out on a daytrip - I don't see the probelm with it as long as they are not the only thing they drink. Am i a bad mother?

hobnobsaremyfave Tue 10-Nov-09 12:29:16

near us there is a yummy mummy sort of cafe with wooden toys and boden children and baby yoga classes and they actually had a sign on the wall telling parents that they couldn't bring in their own food etc and it's closing sentence was " WE PARTICULARLY OBJECT TO FRUIT SHOOTS"!!!!

twolittlekings Tue 10-Nov-09 12:36:19

WTF? I'm sorry but they don't contain e-numbers or anything like that so why is there such a problem? I must be such a bad mother but occasionally I let DS have a teeny sip of coca cola if I am out - I always think if you completely deprive them then once they are able to they will go mad. It's like Macdonalds. Occasionally is fine but all the time is not so fine. How ridiculous.

TrillianAstra Tue 10-Nov-09 12:41:31

It's more of an in-joke than an actual belief that they are the work of the devil.

RealityBites Tue 10-Nov-09 12:43:04

Message withdrawn

AboardtheAxiom Tue 10-Nov-09 12:43:24

{snigger}

I wouldn't comment on it on FB though - don't want my RL friends and family knowing I MN they might come looking for me. hmm

sherby Tue 10-Nov-09 12:45:27

two kings they contain aspartame though which is rather shit

MaggieMonday Tue 10-Nov-09 12:45:41

YABU.

Somebody with a sense of humour. OK, I wouldn't seek out fruitshoots, but are they any worse than any other juices/childrens' drinks.

My children aren't great drinkers, and they have milk in the morning, one weak juice, a cup of very milky weak tea and then water with their tea, which they hardly touch.

Every mouthful of that water has to be coaxed into them. I sometimes worry about them being too dehydrated to learn at school.

I don't (repeat) put fruitshoots in their lunch boxes, but unless somebody is saying that they never, ever give their child a biscuit or a slice of cake then I really don't see the logic for zoning in on one particular item and deciding that giving that to your child is the mark of a crap mother with a low iq.

everything in moderation, even being snide.

twolittlekings Tue 10-Nov-09 12:47:19

blush

sazlocks Tue 10-Nov-09 12:47:36

and I can't see the Facebook thing but whenever I go out and see kids with them or a greggs something or other I always think of MN smile

BTW twolittlekings - I don't know if this is a current ingedients list but I just googled this which is for the strawberry one and it seems to have lots of E's in -
Water, Strawberry juice, Flavouring, Citric acid, Acidity Regulator (Trisodium citrate E331), Preservatives (Potasssium sorbate E202, Dimethyldicarbonate E242, Sodium Benzoate E211), Vitamins (C, Niacin, Pantothenic acid, B6, D, B12), Sweeteners (Aspartame, Acesulfame K) Stabiliser (Xanthan gum), Colour (Anthocyanins E163)

Geocentric Tue 10-Nov-09 12:49:05

It's a joke, Maggie. As I live in a different country and we dont have them (or Greggs - although there's always a cultural equivalent!!) I actually did a search on them when I first joined MN... (ah, search, so much to look at, so little time...)

twolittlekings Tue 10-Nov-09 12:54:28

The ones I have just bought say no artifical flavours or additives? Oh well, DS only gets them occasionally.

They are by appointment don't you know wink

UndomesticHousewife Tue 10-Nov-09 12:56:52

Apart from the sodium benzoate and aspartame it's not that bad, not compared to alot of drinks you would give kids.
You have to check the back of all squashes in case they contain benzoates of any kind.
And also most sugar free drinks etc contain some sort of sweetener.
I give my kids fruit shoots once in a while, only other thing to do is give them plain water.

sherby Tue 10-Nov-09 12:58:35

Aspartame is an artifical sweetner, not flavour or additive

borderslass Tue 10-Nov-09 13:04:06

twolittlekings They have about 5 teaspoons of sugar in though.

UndomesticHousewife Tue 10-Nov-09 13:07:51

There are some widely recognised e numbers that aren't good to give kids (or anyone) and can cause reactions, but a lot of ingredients are given an e number.
It should say no artificial colours or flavours as they are natural, I thought that the preservatives that are added would be classed as an additive, but maybe not?

skinsl Tue 10-Nov-09 13:09:10

I didn't know there was a "stigma" around these drinks, but I hated them for the simple fact that the say no artificial flavours or colours... but exactly sherby, they contain aspartame which technically is a sweetener, which I thought was really sneaky.
Aspartame is the bad stuff in diet coke, and most diet products which by all accounts should be avoided.

twolittlekings Tue 10-Nov-09 13:13:07

The problem is, I now have 8 sitting in my cupboard!! I do think a little bit once in a while is fine and DS really does like them. I am hoping that by allowing him the odd thing now he won't go mad when he can choose for himself. He knows that he should not have too many of them and he probably has one about 1 x a week.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now