Talk

Advanced search

to feel disciminated against by this college?

(14 Posts)
ilovepiccolina Tue 10-Nov-09 09:19:23

I applied to do a part-time course at college from next Sept, but when they realised my age they said I could only do it at evening class: they don't allow over-19s to mix with the 16-18yo, people would have to be CRB checked etc... I said 'No problem, I've been CRB checked' (I work part-time it a school) But no, it's a blanket ban.

It's a train ride away. I don't want to go at night. I feel really sad and shock

Any thoughts? It seems wrong, somehow...

penguin70 Tue 10-Nov-09 10:36:36

Never heard of having to be CRB checked for college however have returned to college twice and both times left primarily because of fellow students.

First time wasn't prepared for the giggly nonsense, constant chatter and unwillingness to learn shown by the mainly female class of 16/17 yo.

Second time I enrolled on similar course 3 years later and prepared to go in, not expecting to make special friends but just keep my head down and learn but again couldn't cope with class, this time mostly immature males swearing, throwing things round the class, stealing etc.. It was an art/design class and tutor wouldn't give out scalpels to some because of behaviour.

It may be wrong not to give you the choice but I enrolled at evening classes and what a difference! Much nicer people /experience where everyone is friendly , inclusive and wants to learn.

Good luck!

borderslass Tue 10-Nov-09 10:43:16

Never heard anything like that my eldest is in the second year of college and she has mature students in their 30's in her class,seems a bit bizarre to me.

ilovepiccolina Tue 10-Nov-09 20:48:01

Penguin, the mention of CRB check was a red herring, what he was saying was 'We don't take over-19s now in order to prevent any abuse'. Seems bizarre to me too. The prospectus doesn't say anything about eligibility apart from what GCSEs the course needs. Elsewhere it says that over-19s may be able to apply for funding,& something about travel expenses. This is for next year, and nowhere does it say that the courses aren't for oldies. It must be a recent decision. There is so much guff about 'We want to help you' etc etc, about lack of racism, bullying, inter-faith etc, what about ageism? Can't abusers be under 19 as well as over? I've been thinking about this today and am pretty angry.

OldLadyKnowsNothing Tue 10-Nov-09 20:50:38

>>Mutters about the fact that in my day colleges were for further education, not daycare holding facilities for obnoxious teens<<

ImSoNotTelling Tue 10-Nov-09 21:07:56

Unless it's a "sixth form" college?

<grasping at straws>

nannynick Tue 10-Nov-09 21:20:02

In 1996-98 I did a course where I was one of 3 mature students on the course... the others were 16-18 years. It wasn't a problem then.

"they don't allow" - who are THEY? Is this college in receipt of Government funding? Contact the top person at the college, then contact the top person at the funding body.

Policies can be changed. Not likely to be a law, in my view... so it's just someone's policy.

How was the course advertised? The Advertising Standards Authority and local Trading Standards may be interested in knowing about this. Does the college really what that level of publicity, does it want the ASA, Trading Standards starting to take a good look at how they market their courses to students. Surely they don't.

Kick up a fuss, contact the head people at the college... get the policy in Writing then copy that policy to everyone you can think of whom may be interested, from your local MP to the National and Local Press.

As a student, are you a member of the National Union of Students? Maybe worth joining... wonder what they think about it. Is a collage able to impose age limits on courses?

It seems wrong... but are you prepared to fight it? Is it worth fighting? They are offering an alternative course... so maybe they are meeting requirements. Though their prospectus should be withdrawn if it is not making it clear that there are max age limits on courses - as in my view it is misleading. Wonder if the ASA would agree... I presume the prospectus was Direct mail (advertising sent through the post and addressed to you personally), thus is something the ASA can take a look at.

maidenvoyage Tue 10-Nov-09 21:21:13

My daughter is 16+ and has started college this year, she does not swear, throw things around and especially does not steal things. She is keen to learn loves her course and gets up every day like a young adult. Respects her tutours and fellow students and from what i can gather most of her class is the same. Penguin maybe you should not sterotype all teenagers

OldLadyKnowsNothing Tue 10-Nov-09 21:30:38

Describing an experience (or two)is not the same as "stereotyping teenagers".

There were a bunch of students from my local holding facility college on the train with me the other week, I'd slit my wrists if I had to sit beside them and try to learn anything.

Disclaimer; DS2 graduated from the same college this year, I know they're not all fuckwits.grin

nannynick Tue 10-Nov-09 21:40:50

Equality Human Rights Commission replaced Equal Opportunities Commission.
Back in mid-late 90's when I had issues with a college due to my gender, the EOC were quite helpful. Maybe contact EHRC to see if they are able to offer any advice.

JTGPsmummy Wed 11-Nov-09 09:35:02

I went back to college a few years ago to do a part time course and I never heard anything like this! As it was only 1 afternoon a week there was only older students in the class, which I was relieved about tbh. Not that I have anything against teens, but I just don't want to go back to the 'school years' again. College sounds like there are talking bollocks!

notanumber Wed 11-Nov-09 11:11:59

You know, most teenagers are nice and funny and passionate and engaged.

You know what I really miss about being a teenager? Being so bloody pasionate about and sure of my world view. The older I get, the more likely I am to um and ah and say "well, I dunno, I can see both of it really..."

Teenagers are a breath of fresh air. Get them talking about something that they're interested in (the idea that playing video games promotes violence in young people, for example)and watch them go! They give some of the most seasoned MN debaters a run for their money.

I also know that I did my fair share of messing about when I was a teenager. It didn't make me the devil incarnate. It just made me young and a a bit immature.

Also, the group of people most likely to offer me a hand with the buggy at the tube station are teenaged boys. The hoody-wearing, knife-wielding bastards.

It makes me sad how much young people are unquestioningly demonised by our society at the moment.

LIZS Wed 11-Nov-09 11:16:48

Might depend on how the courses are funded by the government. If it is aimed at under 19's that may be a different subsidy to FE and Adult Education. If it is a popular course they could probably fill the places easily with under 19's but less so an evening course.

ilovepiccolina Wed 11-Nov-09 12:36:34

Thanks for the info, people, and intersting points about whether it's specifically a 6th form college etc. (don't think so - it mentions funding and travel passes wrt 'If you're over 19' so I reckon this is a recent decision.

When I get a minute (I'm on MN very busy at the mo blush ) but I will take up some of nannynick's suggestions - I feel so disappointed that I can't just let it go, & want to take it further. Not sure that being a total PITA would make it eay to then go & study there hmm

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now