Talk

Advanced search

to get drunk

(16 Posts)
tinkerbellesmuse Tue 10-Nov-09 07:53:17

Sometimes when reading MN I get the impression that aside from the odd glass of wine at a party it is generally considered that drinking and motherhood do not and should not mix.

There are constant reference to DH's who like to go out and drink with their mates being feckless tw@ts who should grow up and any reference to more than two drinks a week alway illicits at least one response of "alcoholic!"

Anyway to the point: I like going out. Often if I go out I get drunk. I don't go out with the express intention of getting drunk, but for me it is the usual side effect of drinking with friends/DH (not that I'm the only one getting pissed - we're all at it!) This happens a few times a month.

So AIBU?

madrush Tue 10-Nov-09 07:55:34

At this time in the morning definitely BU.

RealityBites Tue 10-Nov-09 08:02:45

Message withdrawn

PavlovtheForgetfulCat Tue 10-Nov-09 08:05:32

LOL, i thought you meant now too. Clearly not acceptable unless you are in USA or somewhere else far away where it is stil night time!

But generally, i love getting drunk from time to time. Not often, as i don't like being hungover, and not completely wasted as it takes too long to get over it these days, do agree motherhood and hangovers don't mix well.

But, the odd glass too many of wine or that one last JD i should not really have when out, its great to do sometimes. But I have DH here, so if that happens he can be mother.

PavlovtheForgetfulCat Tue 10-Nov-09 08:06:00

obviously i am not talking about now either, as in this week for example, being 39wks pg!

seeyounexttues Tue 10-Nov-09 08:07:50

I think most of the complaints about dp is that they get so drunk it wipes out the whole of the following day or that it's unplanned. My dp does this and it pissed me off, sometimes slepping until 2 pm. If you do this yabu

if it's planned, doesn't interfere with dp too much then yanbu. Have one for me grin

StealthPolarBear Tue 10-Nov-09 08:12:10

i havent been drunk since early 2006 - both always ttc/pg/bf, but even if not, just couldn't cope with feeling awful & looking after DC(s). Even if DCs were with grandparents, wouldn't want to waste a DC-less day on being hungover. So for me heavy drinking and motherhood don't really mix. Doesn't mean I think that everyone should feel that way. Plus I do have a glass of wine or two about 4 nights a week so I'm sure tyo some people that is heavy drinking!

Kayzr Tue 10-Nov-09 08:12:12

Go for it!!!(Not at 10 past 8 though)

I used to love going out and getting drunk but I can't drink as much and hangovers are always much worse but if the kids are being looked after by your DH/parent/friend then why not!!

StealthPolarBear Tue 10-Nov-09 08:13:44

actually thats not totally true was quite drunk at a wedding last year!

kreecherlivesupstairs Tue 10-Nov-09 08:19:50

Not in the slightest unreasonable. I get tiddly quite often. Thelast time I was so trolleyed I nearly wet myself I'd just popped out for a quick one with my dd's teacher.

skinsl Tue 10-Nov-09 08:27:16

I would love to get drunk, haven't been for ages!
Nothing wrong with it if kids are being looked after

Lizzylou Tue 10-Nov-09 08:30:03

YANBU, I do so fairly often, well once every few months. Again, not at this time of the morning.

Pav, gosh can't believe that you are 39weeks already! Good luck smile

tinkerbellesmuse Tue 10-Nov-09 08:53:16

How about getting drunk when DC's are in bed?

On MN this seems to be considered on a par with child molestation, but in RL lots of people (who I generally consider to be perfectly normal!) go out drinking, pay the babysitter and go to bed without a second thought that they are "drunk in charge of a child"

ObsidianBlackbirdMcNight Tue 10-Nov-09 09:00:02

YANBU
I get good and drunk about once a week, usually out, sometimes at a mate's house or even shock at my house.....DH is an annoying twat with alcohol because he doesn't like to stay in without a few beers which pisses me off when we're broke and he'd go out on the piss several times a week if I let him whereas I'm far more restrained.

But no, YANBU to get drunk. YANBU to be drunk in charge of DCs either (as long as it isn't puking falling down drunk) when they are asleep. IMO anyway.

porcamiseria Tue 10-Nov-09 09:02:21

YANBU! the only reason I dont get as hammered as I used to is because I cant look after DS properly with a mega hangover

sarah293 Tue 10-Nov-09 09:02:37

Message withdrawn

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now