Talk

Advanced search

To think that there could be a silver lining to the credit crunch?

(13 Posts)
poshsinglemum Tue 10-Nov-09 07:26:25

And I don't mean that it's a good thing if you or a loved one has lost their job because that really sucks and my heart goes out to you.

What I mean is that it's a good thing that so many people are adopting a new make do and mend culture and new frugality. People are starting to grow and make their own and rediscover the staycation. It's better for the environment and an antidote to shopping mall culture.
For far too long people have used credit cards to buy things they cannot really afford and mabe the recession is making people assess their prioroties.

porcamiseria Tue 10-Nov-09 09:06:23

i agree, the greed in our culture has long disgested me, and anything that tempers it is a good thing

Jackstini Tue 10-Nov-09 09:12:34

I am with you on this Posh, families spending more time together going for a walk, cooking & playing games rather than spending loads of money on 'days out'
Have also had the benefit of losing nearly half a stone eating better and cheaper!
Plus have knocked over 2 years off our mortgage as we decided to try & keep our payments the same while the rate was down.
Making an effort to save is in fashion again and I love how everyone is sharing ideas. Is there a frugal tips thread on MN...?
Saying all that, dh finds out this week if he is being made redundant so fingers crossed....

shouldireportthem Tue 10-Nov-09 09:14:34

poshsinglemum Tue 10-Nov-09 23:25:13

Oh dear- I hope that all goes well.

It's much hard to be frugal than it sounds.

I still love my clothes but I tend to fantasise about them rather than buy and I have rediscovered second hand shops.

I think that life will be much more stressful once I am getting a wage again but I need to provide for dd. i juts hope she grows up with a sensible attitude to money.

nevergoogledragonbutter Tue 10-Nov-09 23:28:17

Er yes, but we were already frugal before DH lost his job.

PoppyIsApain Tue 10-Nov-09 23:34:43

My family and i have always been skint TBH, since the credit crunch we seem better off apart from £90 in the electric metre each week for a 3 bed! smile

LeQueen Tue 10-Nov-09 23:53:49

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Monty100 Wed 11-Nov-09 00:02:21

Leqshock £90 a week in electric? How come? omg that would skint me!

Monty100 Wed 11-Nov-09 00:03:21

Poppy

Booyhoo Wed 11-Nov-09 00:05:14

poppy???? £90 a week. how many people live there?

i have a 3 bed semi with me and 2 ds' here all day and ours is £50 a month. how do you cope?

Monty100 Wed 11-Nov-09 00:11:25

Boo mine is about the same, although no-one here during the day.

But £90 a week? shock

Jackstini Wed 11-Nov-09 20:59:01

Thanks Posh - found out today he is safe, at least for the next 3 months, but he knows 3 others that have gone today including his immediate boss.
Clothes shopping = ebay for me at the moment. I need to sell some too!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now