Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

to think my mother should be able to ..

(19 Posts)
Stannie Mon 09-Nov-09 19:08:57

1. Remember my 5week old son is a BOY and stop calling him her or she..

2. to stop telling me that he eats "too much" (he drinks between 120 and 180mls every 3-4 hrs.

3. to stop telling me he's growing too fast..

4. to stop calling him a name that is not his..

Minshu Mon 09-Nov-09 19:15:02

1 to 3 yanbu but sounds familiar from previous posts from other people, unfortunately, so she's not the only one to do it... have you told her to stop?

4 - I have called my 5 wk old dd by the cat's name on more occasions than i should admit to blush

Stannie Mon 09-Nov-09 21:32:58

1-3 are the ones getting right on my tits! I admit to being clueless (1st DC) but it's really starting to grate..

At least I'm not alone though .. I have also called DS by dogs names more than once but she calls him (constantly) another relatives name.. when I (nicely) said she should have remembered his name after 5 weeks she said "Oh it doesn't matter.. a name is just a name.. "

Grrrr..

monkeypinkmonkey Mon 09-Nov-09 21:45:47

I called my poor ds 'good girl' way to many times during night feeds. He's my only child too so no excuse. But no YANBU.

busybutterfly Mon 09-Nov-09 23:54:48

OMG I called my DD both her brother's names lots of times! Especially in the small hours after very little sleep grin

Be patient. Ignore her. Good luck.

JjandtheBean Mon 09-Nov-09 23:59:24

YANBU

i ended up screaming at dps sil not to call ds 'the baby' and that he had an f-in name!

she just replied, why, theyre just babies! there name means nothing!

She has no desires for children thank god.

Claire2009 Mon 09-Nov-09 23:59:31

"Be patient, ignore her, good luck"

I've called my ds the dog's name god knows how many times blush he's 2.6yo so I should know by now who is called Rex and who is called Joe! wink

Geocentric Tue 10-Nov-09 00:00:01

When I met my DH, he and his two brothers still lived at home and my MIL used to mix up all three names as well as the dog's name - and that was after 20 years of being their parent!!!!! (she's great, though, and they never seemed to mind)

mummysgoingmad Tue 10-Nov-09 00:13:55

OMG is my mother your mother! i get this all the time along with a few other very annoying qualities! i used to tell her what my HV said, and ignored her in the end

Geocentric Tue 10-Nov-09 00:15:00

Learn to do like the Madagascar penguins: "smile and wave, boys, smile and wave".

cheesesarnie Tue 10-Nov-09 00:17:29

i do every single one of those to all my 3 dc.i cant help it.

AmericanHag Tue 10-Nov-09 00:20:46

Stannie, if you feel like being passive-aggressive (and who doesn't from time to time?), you could always start calling your mother "Dad".

Also, be sure to mention that YOU think SHE is eating too much and growing too fast. See how she responds.

thesunshinesbrightly Tue 10-Nov-09 00:25:49

We are all called different name's in our house and he's and she's, girl and boy and cat's and dog's names so it's natural too us

coralanne Tue 10-Nov-09 01:01:29

My DGD is 6 months old and my mum keeps calling her Amanda when her name is Amelia. It does sound petty to get annoyed about this but after 6 months you would think that she would remember

Minshu Tue 10-Nov-09 17:01:03

And, FWIW, my gran doesn't like my neice's name, so calls her something else hmm Fortunately, my SIL has more patience than I would have with that.

happyloris Tue 10-Nov-09 18:56:10

We managed to give ds a name that with hindsight is too similar to dh's. I keep catching myself telling people about how dh puked on the sofa, was crying in the shops...

HeadFairy Tue 10-Nov-09 18:58:22

My mum has called all her grandchildren "baby" until they've been old enough to tell her their name

StealthPolarBear Tue 10-Nov-09 19:01:08

another vote for calling her dad
I have cousins called Anna and Beryl (made up in case you hadn't guessed)

To my grandma:
I was Anna-Beryl-Kate
Beryl was Kate-Anna-Beryl
Anna was Beryl-Kate-Anna

to much hilarity - we used to do it ourselves but throw in the dogs' names as well

MamaLazarou Tue 10-Nov-09 19:01:14

She refers to him as 'she'? shock

How do you react?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now